To hot to cook. Summer cool off meals?

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Whatcha eat when it is hotter than hell? Gimmee some ideas for dinner that is tasty, filling, and COOL!

Whatcha eat when it is hotter than hell? Gimmee some ideas for dinner that is tasty, filling, and COOL!

Pasta salad. I get the Suddenly Salad kits for cheap, and then I usually have sealed containers of various types of cooked and chopped meat in my fridge, so that my family can just grab a little and add it to the pasta salad, or ramen noodles, or whatever.

Sandwiches are also nice. You just have to put a little imagination into them to make them DINNER, and not just a boring snack. I like chicken or turkey deli meat on croissants with whole-berry cranberry sauce spread on one side and herbed cream cheese spread on the other, with a little bit of butter lettuce for crunch.

Now, if you don't mind the food being heated but you don't want to get the house hot cooking it, crock-pots are your best friend.

We are empty nesters, my husband drinks beer, and I eat watermelon, strawberry greek yogurt, ice cream.

Pasta salads are good--throw in whatever you have around. The only thing is, you need to think ahead and boil the macaroni first thing in the morning before it gets hot.

Pasta salads are good--throw in whatever you have around. The only thing is, you need to think ahead and boil the macaroni first thing in the morning before it gets hot.

Best thing about Suddenly Salad is that my kids are fully capable of making it, AND they really like them, so it's all ready when I come home from work.

Sandwich bar for dinner on hot days when you don’t feel like cooking. Add a good potato, or pasta salad for the side; and finish off with chilled fruit and/or ice cream. And if you happen to have a chilled pie or some cobbler to go with the ice cream; everyone will love you.

Best thing about Suddenly Salad is that my kids are fully capable of making it, AND they really like them, so it's all ready when I come home from work.
Don't you have to cook them?

Don't you have to cook them?

I don't have to cook them, which is the point. My sons will cook them, and then the food will be waiting for me in the fridge when I get home from work.

But yes, the pasta still has to be boiled.

I just nuked some large diced red taters....took ten minutes...then added the rest of the stuff and it is now cooling. Total prep time...20 minutes. In an hour or two....cold tater salad and big chunk of bread and a tall glass of ice tea. DINNER!!

And low in calories

kim-basinger-nine-and-a-half-weeks-temperature-play-ice-cubes-1495453416.gif

I just nuked some large diced red taters....took ten minutes...then added the rest of the stuff and it is now cooling. Total prep time...20 minutes. In an hour or two....cold tater salad and big chunk of bread and a tall glass of ice tea. DINNER!!
That's a good idea, nuking the potatoes.

That's a good idea, nuking the potatoes.
I know! Never thought of it before now. Duh on me! But it worked great! And fast!

I had a neighbor years ago that made the best macaroni salad ever. She used a little oil and vinegar instead of mayo and she threw in as many chopped fresh vegetables as she could find kicking around in the fridge, and little cubes of cheese. Eliminating the mayo lets you taste the veggies. It was always great. There were probably herbs or seasonings in it, too, cause I could never quite replicate it, but it's something to play around with for a change, if you never have.

Forum List

Back