Roasted Acorn Squash and Cauliflower bisque

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I couldn't find a recipe I liked on the net, so I made my own.
Have to say.... damn this is good. And AMAZINGLY good for you!

For the body of the soup
1 Acorn Squash
1 Head Cauliflower
2 med. carrots
2 med. potatoes
---------------

Preheat oven to 400
Cut up the Cauliflower and carrots into bite size pieces, toss in a large bowl with some olive oil, salt & pepper and oh...Tbs of dried thyme. Lay out on a baking sheet.
Cut the Acorn squash in half, spoon out the seeds and seed membrane.
Take a few teaspoons of olive oil and coat the flesh, Lay face down (skin side up) on a 2nd baking sheet.
Put all ingredients in the oven..... set a timer for 25 minutes, check at 20...for some reason Cauliflower browns quicker sometimes. The Cauliflower should be LIGHTLY brown with a few charred spots against the pan.
Set aside.
Set the timer for another 20 minutes to finish roasting the squash.
Meanwhile cut up and boil the potato till tender, check carrots to see if fully done...if not toss them in with the potatoes.

Flavoring and liquid
6 cups of chicken broth (I make my own...you should too :) )
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic crushed
Salt
Pepper
1 Tbs of Paprika
1 Tbs honey
1/4 cup of cream
1 tsp Parsley

Fry the onion till soft, put in the garlic and finish frying till turning color..... put in ALL of the ingredients (EXCEPT THE CREAM and PARSLEY) in a pot and bring to boil, turn down and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Let cool.
Break out the blender and puree in batches.
Back in pot, stir in the cream... put in the parsley, stir well. Taste for salt.

Goes great with BLATs (Bacon/Lettuce/Avacado/Tomato

Cheers

Oh...and if someone spots an error in instructions, let me know...I believe this is how I did it.

Edit.... I added about a teaspoon of red wine vinegar after tasting to brighten it up.

Last edited:
When I bake Acorn Squash I cut it in half creating two bowls rub with butter and bake...then I fill it with applesauce and bake a short while on low...easy and healthy...

Acorn Squash with Applesauce
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Cut squash in half and remove seeds with a spoon.
  3. Place squash halves skin side down on a baking sheet.
  4. Rub olive oil over squash halves.
  5. Fill squash halves with applesauce.
  6. Sprinkle cinnamon on top of each.
  7. Bake for 45 minutes, or until a fork inserts smoothly through squash meat.

You guys are doing it wrong, ya need to do the high fat, high caloric way with brown sugar and butter. :thup:

You guys are doing it wrong, ya need to do the high fat, high caloric way with brown sugar and butter. :thup:

Ha! yes! The "acorn squash" jumped out at me from the sidebar. I LOVE making acorn and butternut squash soup in the fall, but prefer the sweet version. Mine calls for brown sugar and cream cheese (!!!) and cinnamon. Delish, but not something we regularly eat. (however I do go for the lower fat version fwiw!)

We have four distinct seasons here and eat very seasonally. Well, spring is difficult, but we definitely eat winter, fall and summer. So if I served my family squash soup in the summer I think they would revolt!

I combine cubed potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, squash, tomatoes brushed with oil seasoned with garlic salt, Greek seasoning, parsley...pile it in a large glass baking dish...bake at 375 for an hour and twenty minutes and eat it for 5 days...healthy...inexpensive...cleans your gut...makes the ice cream taste even better...

Ha! yes! The "acorn squash" jumped out at me from the sidebar. I LOVE making acorn and butternut squash soup in the fall, but prefer the sweet version. Mine calls for brown sugar and cream cheese (!!!) and cinnamon. Delish, but not something we regularly eat. (however I do go for the lower fat version fwiw!)

We have four distinct seasons here and eat very seasonally. Well, spring is difficult, but we definitely eat winter, fall and summer. So if I served my family squash soup in the summer I think they would revolt!
I have always preferred more savory than sweet

I grew up on acorn squash with butter and brown sugar ;)

I grew up on acorn squash with butter and brown sugar ;)
Yup, us too.

I LIKE Acorn Squash HALVES with butter and brown sugar but they take forever to cook, which is why a pressure cooker is my method of choice. The 40minutes and even an hour baking has never been long enough to cook Acorn Squash halves.

Forum List

Back