'Timelessness' of God?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I bet I'm not the only one who is enticed by the thought that there are ideas of which it is difficult to conceive. As, "timelessness."

From a Harvard publication- the question of whether God is 'of' time.....

1. " In discussing God’s omniscience and foreknowledge, I have heard many people say something like this: “God is not in time. He stands outside of time, looking down on it, so that He sees all of time at once....all the events of history–past, present, and future–at once. God is timeless.

2. “God, I believe, does not live in a Time-series at all. His life is not dribbled out moment by moment like ours: with Him it is still 1920 and already 1960…God is outside and above the Time-line.

"In that case, what we call ‘tomorrow’ is visible to Him in just the same way as what we call ‘today.’ All the days are ‘Now’ for Him. He does not remember you doing things yesterday; He simply sees you doing them…He does not ‘foresee’ you doing things tomorrow; He simply sees you doing them: because, though tomorrow is not yet there for you, it is for Him.”
–C.S.Lewis, "Mere Christianity ," pp.147-8

3. ... this is an inherently slippery and abstract topic. Nevertheless, I hope to articulate why I think the timelessness view is wrong.

4. The timelessness view affirms what is called the B-series and rejects the A-series.

a. Briefly, A-series means that moments in time are either past, present, or future (or all three in succession, as time changes).

b. B-series means that all moments stand in an ordered relation to each other, so that any event is either earlier or later than any other event.

5. So, the timelessness view says that from God’s point of ... time is like a linear axis on which all the moments are placed in order. From His point of view, however, none of these moments is “present” or “past” or “future.” He only sees that one is after the other.

So for example, it is not the case that your breakfast yesterday was future, and then was present, and now is past. But it is the case that yesterday’s breakfast ‘is’ before yesterday’s lunch, where ‘is’ is understood tenselessly."
Why God is Not Timeless

Must be a shortcoming in me, but I see this as meaningless. If God is God, any and all possibilities exist for Him, not any 'either, or," restrictions.

6. "...St. Augustine wrestled with the nature of God before the creation of the universe. His answer? Time was part of God's creation, and there simply was no "before" that a deity could call home."
HowStuffWorks "What existed before the big bang?"

7. I kinda like the children's gag:

"God, what is a million years to you?"
God said, "a million years to me is only a second."
"Hmmm", he wondered. Then he asked again, "God, what is a million dollars worth to you?"
God said, "A million dollars to me is only worth a penny."
The man lifted his eyebrows and proceeded to ask a final question. "God can I have a penny?"
And God cheerfully said, "Sure!!.....just a second."

8. And, interesting as well, is that science indulges in this discussion, as well.

"Since events before the Big Bang have no observational consequences, one may as well cut them out of the theory, and say that time began at the Big Bang. Events before the Big Bang, are simply not defined, because there's no way one could measure what happened at them. This kind of beginning to the universe, and of time itself, is very different to the beginnings that had been considered earlier."
The Beginning of Time - Stephen Hawking

"There will be time to murder and create,
And time for all the works and days of hands
That lift and drop a question on your plate; 30
Time for you and time for me,
And time yet for a hundred indecisions,
And for a hundred visions and revisions,
Before the taking of a toast and tea.

For I have known them all already, known them all:
Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons, 50
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;
I know the voices dying with a dying fall
Beneath the music from a farther room.
So how should I presume?"
T.S. Eliot, "Prufrock"

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
I'm not sure why timelessness would assume that time is like a linear axis. The concept of timelessness, to my mind, implies that all events occur at once, or even better, don't occur at all.

In the end, my Christian faith tells me that if time is a created thing (because it exists in a created universe), then it "is a river" (on a timeline) only because the universe expands (all the dimensions expand in an expanding cosmos). That is, time may appear to us that it flows like a river, but really all it does is expand.

Time's best thought of as another particle (since gravity can effect time's passage, i.e. time is relative.) Once you think of it in more concrete terms like particles, the mysteries of time are easier tow rap your head around.

Amazingly, the relative nature of time is measurable even here on Earth. Different points on the surface of the planet have slight variations in gravity and the flow of time. More subtlely, out feet age faster than our heads because they're closer to the center of the planet's gravity. And experiments using two atomic clocks, one on the ground, one in a jet have confirmed that as velocity increases so does mass, and thus time passes more slowly for the one in the jet.

Measurements of the Russian Mir space station astronauts have figured the ones who were in orbit (travelling continuously at about 25,000 MPH) have aged a few seconds less than those on the ground.

If we could travel at the precise speed of light (we can't, even in theory since at that velocity mass would be infinite) time is believed to stop completely for the one travelling, at least relative to everything else in the universe.

KUDOS for using The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock, PC

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skeHO0V6-mM]time has come today - the chambers brothers - 1966 - YouTube[/ame]

Interesting comment from norwegen. I believe seeing it all at once is a good picture of what living in eternity must like. They have these flags they spin at the China exhibit of a Disney attraction. As the flag spins you see the complete picture . . .

The bible isn't written in chronological order. The last book of the bible is not written in chronological order either which was also a mystery and some considered it was because the author, John, was in Asia and it was addressed to the churches of Asia.

Rev. 1: 4 ....to the seven churches in the province of Asia

I don't believe time is linear, except for us in this dimension. Like a round pencil intersecting a 2D plane, the 2D creatures could only see a circle and have no clue about the rest of it, or if there was even more involved.

there is paradoxically a difference in relationship over time for an individuals physiology and their Spirit - working parts have finite existences, the Spirit is either / or both with contrasting effects.

physiology is noncompatible for the Everlasting, the Spirit is.

Forum List

Back