Time to Pull the Plug on EV’s

Demand for oil distillates in the US have been declining by 2% annually for over a decade. That is not changing.
Texas just put forward a plan to develop electricity stations every fifty miles. Kia/Hyundai, VW, GM, Ford, Honda, Toyota, and Nissan are coming out with middle class priced models or shifting entirely to electric. EVs aren't coming, they are now.

With the use of new breed nuclear reactors, wind/solar, and gas/coal this will happen and has been happening.
..and then you woke up from your dream!

None. I will not be contributing and changing over with a foreseeable timeframe. We love both our SUVs. Might get another pickup, but it will definitely be internal combustion. I would never live in one of the abusive states, so I'm not being threatened or provoked.
What if the libs managed to regain control of Congress and the White House and make those policies nationwide?

Nope....actually I once thought so too.
Look at the articles I posted above.

The hydrogen fuel cells use hydrocarbon fuels for the hydrogen....meaning methanol and ethanol. The military has versions based on JP8 which is kerosine based.

The hydrogen stored is about a shotgun shell sized amount. Not enough to do anything.
The semipermiable membrane is made with platinum....and the stack using this membrane is really expensive. But they have it at half the size once used and affordable.
How does putting out all of that CO2 combat global warming?

The gas network in the UK have built a street of houses and the pipework installed is a combination of all the different current pipes out there; copper, cast iron, plastic etc.. They're researching the application of replacing the current gas with hydrogen. Then you convert your gas boiler or buy a boiler already geared up to use hydrogen.
Where are you getting this hydrogen from?

I'm not exactly sure of the chemistry but if we could access the hydrogen in such things as bio-diesel, Natural Gas Liquids, Methanol, and clean coal technology (turns yellow coal into diesel)

These are the methods used currently for the hydrogen fuel cell.
How does burning those fuels combat climate change which is the stated purpose for EVs versus ICEs in the first place?

Science is awesome!
That's why I think that if your religion is reducing CO2 (greens, not you), we should build
dozens of additional nuclear reactors. We don't need more intermittent wind and solar.
I'm all for nuclear. My religion isn't to reduce the very gasses that give us life, recognizing that CO2 feeds the greens which produce the oxygen we need.

I just love science and technology. You fear it. It threatens your closed mind and you're terrified. I suggest psychological help.

I did some research and it looks like if you were stuck in a traffic jam your battery would last a fair amount of time.

Of course if a hurricane was coming everybody would try to charge their cars up at the same time. Hopefully that would not overload the grid.
Yes, imagine sitting in the late summer heat on an Interstate without AC or a radio trying to outrun a hurricane.

Yes, imagine sitting in a blizzard on a northern highway in February without any heat!

I'm all for nuclear. My religion isn't to reduce the very gasses that give us life, recognizing that CO2 feeds the greens which produce the oxygen we need.

I just love science and technology. You fear it. It threatens your closed mind and you're terrified. I suggest psychological help.

I don't fear science and technology. It's awesome!
I do mock green idiocy that wastes money and energy on non-solutions.

He didn't seem stubborn or stupid to me. He seemed pretty reasonable to me. You'd be hard pressed to quote something he said that would support your judgement.

But putting that aside what you are effectively saying is that other people control your behavior.

He hasn't reached the stubborn stage yet. Still weak on the physics.

Yes, imagine sitting in the late summer heat on an Interstate without AC or a radio trying to outrun a hurricane.

Yes, imagine sitting in a blizzard on a northern highway in February without any heat!
Some people have posted stories on here, backed up by linked articles minimizing those situations, and may be true. I don't know. When on the coast, I keep the fuel tank full. I live in TN, so not likely to be caught on the interstate in a blizzard to find out. Still, not planning to change over to a technology I cannot work on in a pinch with existing tools that I own, along with the unproven longevity and higher cost of EVs. It may come to pass. It might not. It won't be in the next 12 to 15 years. That will put me in my 80s. I have no plan to change.

You are not good at the right now thing!
The "what if" game has proven very unproductive. I simply do not make predictions on it and advise others to look at realities with open eyes before indulging.

Average electric car requires equivalent of 85 pounds of coal or six barrels of oil for a single charge

EarthMover.jpg

Some people have posted stories on here, backed up by linked articles minimizing those situations, and may be true. I don't know. When on the coast, I keep the fuel tank full. I live in TN, so not likely to be caught on the interstate in a blizzard to find out. Still, not planning to change over to a technology I cannot work on in a pinch with existing tools that I own, along with the unproven longevity and higher cost of EVs. It may come to pass. It might not. It won't be in the next 12 to 15 years. That will put me in my 80s. I have no plan to change.
OMG, you live in TN? Please tell me you live in east TN so there is no possibility that your stupid ass will run into me.

Funny you should say that about a blizzard in TN. When I lived in KY, I went to Florida the first of March for my Dad's birthday many years ago. On the way back, we got to Murfreesboro when the closed the interstates due to an ice storm and we spent the night in a hotel and drove home the next day in 9 inches of snow.

Forum List

Back