Thomas Sowell quotes. Let's watch how this drives the racists on the left crazy.

Who is Thomas Sowell? Glad you asked.

Sowell worked a civil service job in Washington, DC, and attended night classes at Howard University, a historically black college. His high scores on the College Board exams and recommendations by two professors helped him gain admission to Harvard University, where he graduated magna cum laude in 1958 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in economics.He earned a Master's degree from Columbia University the following year.

Sowell received a Doctor of Philosophy degree in economics from the University of Chicago in 1968. His dissertation was titled "Say's Law and the General Glut Controversy".Sowell had initially chosen Columbia University to study under George Stigler, who would later receive the Nobel Prize in Economics. When he learned that Stigler had moved to the University of Chicago, he followed him there.

------

I doubt liberals could read that or care. He grew up from 10 to his teens in Harlem....

Here are his quotes:

Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

The welfare state is not really about the welfare of the masses. It is about the egos of the elites.

It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.

One of the consequences of such notions as ‘entitlements’ is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.

----------

Now let's watch the left call him Uncle Tom like the racist pieces of shit they all are.

Now I know why Sewell is so wrong on every level. He was educated by the Chicago School of Economics. Radical right wing economics coming out the Chicago School of Economics basically destroyed the economies of several South American nations throughout the 70's and 80's, and the continent is still recovering from "free market" reforms forced on them by the Washington based IMF and World Bank which saw worker wages stagnate, prices rise, the rich got much richer, the poor starved, and middle class struggled. Sound familiar?

The Chicago School of Economics has been a hotbed for radical right wing free market theories. Milton Friedmnan came out of the same school and won the Nobel Prize in economics in 1976 for his free market theories. By the year 2000, his ideas had been utterly discredited and dismisses, except by American Republicans.

No wonder you fools quote Sewell all of the time. The entire Chicago School of Economics has been discredited and the revolutionary idea that the free market should be the only arbiter of wages and prices has shown to lead to extreme poverty and a permanent underclass of extreme poverty. Ronald Reagan, even with his early stage Alzheimer's, admitted that "trickle down" didn't work and tried hard to correct his earlier mistakes at the end of his Administration, but Republicans have continued to cut and spend, and crash the economy ever since.
COMPLETE post FAIL. Better luck next time.

What can you expect from a complete humanity fail like LizardBitch?
VERY good point.

They would never elect him if he ran for president.
The republican base would vote for him

Oh, noes! He didn't like Trump's candidacy four years ago! That must mean . . . something, I dunno what, but grasping at straws seems to be your forte.
Ha-ha!

That was from May 6, 2016

Do you have any current quotes where Sowell still says that?

I didn't like Trump's candidacy, either. In fact, I declined to vote in the Presidential, because I honestly didn't see enough of a difference at the time between him and Hillary to warrant either of them.

I got over it. Once Trump started producing a policy record I could judge on, he won me over . . . although he still annoys me on a personal level.

A man in his 60s, who is still acting like a spoiled adolescent, is not going to grow up in the next four years. We got here by electing a president on the basis of glib words and boastful promises. We cannot afford to repeat that mistake.

Is there any subject in the world that we could discuss that you wouldn't try to turn into an opportunity to screech about your TDS? I swear, if we were talking about unicorns and whether they poop rainbows, you'd chime in with how you're sure unicorns would never vote for Trump.

Oh, noes! He didn't like Trump's candidacy four years ago! That must mean . . . something, I dunno what, but grasping at straws seems to be your forte.
I merely posted what he said, it wasn't my opinion, so you are the straw grasping queen. I have noticed how you like to pretend and are not based on reality. I didn't vote for either in the last election I thought they both stank. But I am sure you will just imply and insult to carry out your regular acts of evil deeds. Thomas said he was okay after he was elected so evidently he changed his mind.

A man in his 60s, who is still acting like a spoiled adolescent, is not going to grow up in the next four years. We got here by electing a president on the basis of glib words and boastful promises. We cannot afford to repeat that mistake.

Is there any subject in the world that we could discuss that you wouldn't try to turn into an opportunity to screech about your TDS? I swear, if we were talking about unicorns and whether they poop rainbows, you'd chime in with how you're sure unicorns would never vote for Trump.
Is there anytime that you can discuss the subject and stop being a jerk? Normally in debate one takes a "pro" side and the other is a "con" side. You evidently have no idea how it works....But at least you get to use euphemisms like TDS. I was merely pointing out what was said by Thomas about Trump, get over it or you could claim that Thomas has had TDS since it is a fav of yours.

Thanks to Moonglow for the reminder of a time when even I agreed with Thomas Sowell. If he were alive today, perhaps he would change his mind again? — I sure haven't!

Thomas Sowell: Why Donald Trump is dangerous

“Thomas Sowell: Trump is an unmitigated disaster

“The political damage of Trump to the Republican party is completely overshadowed by the damage he can do to the country and to the world...

“Those who talk about ‘the will of the people’ need to know that neither Trump nor Hillary Clinton represents the will of the people....”

It would certainly seem that many leftists (including me) who supported neither Trump nor Hillary in 2016 and who warned against both, were in some ways closer to the thinking of this African-American “Conservative intellectual” in that election than any of Trump’s loud-mouthed “liberal”-bashing fans here today.

Last edited:
It is very refreshing that none of the quotes produced so far have anything to do with race. It's all just common sense economics and observations about human nature.

Oh, he has some things to say about race that the left won't like, too.

“The history of which peoples, nations, or civilizations have conquered or enslaved which other peoples, nations, or civilizations has been largely a history of who has been in a position to do so.”
― Thomas Sowell, Black Rednecks and White Liberals

“Lack of awareness or concern for the context and constraints of the times is only part of the problem of those today assessing such historic figures as Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln - or the American nation as a whole.”

“From a narrow perspective, the lesson that some draw from the history of slavery, automatically conceived of as the enslavement of blacks by whites, is that white people were or are uniquely evil. Against the broader background of world history, however, a very different lesson might be that no people of any color can be trusted with unbridled power over any other people, for such power has been grossly abused by whatever race, class, or political authority has held that power, whether under ancient despotism or modern totalitarianism, as well as under serfdom, slavery, or other forms of oppression.”
― Thomas Sowell, Black Rednecks & White Liberals

“The burgeoning of the American welfare state in the second half of the twentieth century and the declining effectiveness of the American criminal justice system at the same time allowed borrowed and counterproductive cultural traits to continue and flourish among those blacks who had not yet moved beyond that culture, thereby prolonging the life of a chaotic, counterproductive, dangerous, and self-destructive subculture in many urban ghettos.”

Sowell worked a civil service job in Washington, DC, and attended night classes at Howard University, a historically black college. His high scores on the College Board exams and recommendations by two professors helped him gain admission to Harvard University, where he graduated magna cum laude in 1958 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in economics.He earned a Master's degree from Columbia University the following year.

Sowell received a Doctor of Philosophy degree in economics from the University of Chicago in 1968. His dissertation was titled "Say's Law and the General Glut Controversy".Sowell had initially chosen Columbia University to study under George Stigler, who would later receive the Nobel Prize in Economics. When he learned that Stigler had moved to the University of Chicago, he followed him there.

------

I doubt liberals could read that or care. He grew up from 10 to his teens in Harlem....

Here are his quotes:

Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

The welfare state is not really about the welfare of the masses. It is about the egos of the elites.

It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.

One of the consequences of such notions as ‘entitlements’ is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.

----------

Now let's watch the left call him Uncle Tom like the racist pieces of shit they all are.

Now I know why Sewell is so wrong on every level. He was educated by the Chicago School of Economics. Radical right wing economics coming out the Chicago School of Economics basically destroyed the economies of several South American nations throughout the 70's and 80's, and the continent is still recovering from "free market" reforms forced on them by the Washington based IMF and World Bank which saw worker wages stagnate, prices rise, the rich got much richer, the poor starved, and middle class struggled. Sound familiar?

The Chicago School of Economics has been a hotbed for radical right wing free market theories. Milton Friedmnan came out of the same school and won the Nobel Prize in economics in 1976 for his free market theories. By the year 2000, his ideas had been utterly discredited and dismisses, except by American Republicans.

No wonder you fools quote Sewell all of the time. The entire Chicago School of Economics has been discredited and the revolutionary idea that the free market should be the only arbiter of wages and prices has shown to lead to extreme poverty and a permanent underclass of extreme poverty. Ronald Reagan, even with his early stage Alzheimer's, admitted that "trickle down" didn't work and tried hard to correct his earlier mistakes at the end of his Administration, but Republicans have continued to cut and spend, and crash the economy ever since.
Now I know why Sewell is so wrong on every level.

More confirmation Sowell is a genius.

Plus. it is hilarious you claim he is dumb when you can't even spell his name.
Truly are arrogant dipshits. Especially left wing women. Holy shit they are useful for only ONE thing.

Making men grateful they aren't married to them?

Is there anytime that you can discuss the subject and stop being a jerk? Normally in debate one takes a "pro" side and the other is a "con" side. You evidently have no idea how it works....But at least you get to use euphemisms like TDS. I was merely pointing out what was said by Thomas about Trump, get over it or you could claim that Thomas has had TDS since it is a fav of yours.

It's pretty easy, actually. All it requires is for me to be talking to someone worthy of respect. Don't blame me if you are not that person.

Now, would you like to address the fact I brought up, which is that you are incapable of discussing any topic without trying to shoehorn "TRRRRRUUUUMMMPPP!!! HATE HIM SO MUCH!!!" into it?

------

Here are his quotes:

----------

I took an economics class with Sowell at Amherst College many years ago. It was one of the best college courses I ever took. He's a very intelligent man who can explain complex things so the common man can understand them.

That's one of the reasons I love his books. He writes so that people who don't have degrees in that subject can understand, while also not talking down to the reader or vastly oversimplifying.

It's pretty easy, actually. All it requires is for me to be talking to someone worthy of respect. Don't blame me if you are not that person.

Now, would you like to address the fact I brought up, which is that you are incapable of discussing any topic without trying to shoehorn "TRRRRRUUUUMMMPPP!!! HATE HIM SO MUCH!!!" into it?
I did address your so called fact which is an illogical conclusion because it is not a fact it is an opinion and not the truth. It is Thomas which I quoted not myself. Derpa

Just because you like some of this guy's quotes does not mean he would approve of the American right as it stands today. We've already seen what they think of black men who went to Harvard.
Are you saying the Thomas Sowell and Barack Obama are alike, Occupied? Now THAT is some funny shit!

He's saying that he wants to focus on Sowell not thinking the right is absolutely perfect as it is to avoid addressing the fact that Sowell considers the left perfectly bad as it is.

I did address your so called fact which is an illogical conclusion because it is not a fact it is an opinion and not the truth. It is Thomas which I quoted not myself. Derpa

No, you didn't address it. You attempted to dodge it . . . badly.

------

Here are his quotes:

----------

Sowell is an ass.

I just heard you say, "How DARE he say things I don't agree with!" I'm sure he cries himself to sleep at night because the likes of you doesn't think he's nice enough, Assfuck Dave.

For decades only those who actually used oil invested in oil. We opened it to speculators and hedge funds. It was once very stable.

When was it stable? When was it "opened to speculators"?

It was stable for decades. I was listening to an old radio program from the 70's where the oil companies felt a need to explain and defend a penny raise in prices.
You know nothing about the history of the oil business.

And again, you try and make it about me as opposed to addressing what I said or showing where I was wrong. (I wasn't)
You posted pure ignorance. This is your idea of "stable:"

large_yY6VuQKeiRu4Y7YZI-ULhT6Hnw-ZnfV0Waj1Mu13p6Q.png

The graph shows it quite stable for nearly 100 years.

The graph shows it quite stable for nearly 100 years.

Which 100 years?

I'm fairly sure you can read the graph.

I just can't see the 100 years of stability you claimed existed before oil futures were created.
Backing away from your claim already?

You can certainly see how unstable it's been since they were created.
Futures have been around since the invention of the stock market, dumbass.

“The history of which peoples, nations, or civilizations have conquered or enslaved which other peoples, nations, or civilizations has been largely a history of who has been in a position to do so.”

“Lack of awareness or concern for the context and constraints of the times is only part of the problem of those today assessing such historic figures as Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln - or the American nation as a whole.”

“From a narrow perspective, the lesson that some draw from the history of slavery, automatically conceived of as the enslavement of blacks by whites, is that white people were or are uniquely evil. Against the broader background of world history, however, a very different lesson might be that no people of any color can be trusted with unbridled power over any other people, for such power has been grossly abused by whatever race, class, or political authority has held that power, whether under ancient despotism or modern totalitarianism, as well as under serfdom, slavery, or other forms of oppression.”

“The burgeoning of the American welfare state in the second half of the twentieth century and the declining effectiveness of the American criminal justice system at the same time allowed borrowed and counterproductive cultural traits to continue and flourish among those blacks who had not yet moved beyond that culture, thereby prolonging the life of a chaotic, counterproductive, dangerous, and self-destructive subculture in many urban ghettos.”
It is actually very revealing to me that you mistakenly think that these quotes would automatically upset “leftists.” The first three are certainly true and no real leftist or serious historian would disagree with them. Even the fourth quote is correct ... to a certain degree and within very strict limits, ignoring of course many other important factors.

The problem of many Conservatives — and almost all Trump fanatics who pretend to be conservative — is that they themselves know nothing about history and are forced to stereotype the views of their opponents on the left. It is, after all, always easiest to win an argument against ... a straw man.

Last edited:

It is actually very revealing to me that you mistakenly think that these quotes would automatically upset “leftists.” The first three are certainly true and no real leftist or serious historian would disagree with them. Even the fourth quote is correct ... to a certain degree and within very strict limits, ignoring of course many other important factors.

The problem of many Conservatives — and almost all Trump fanatics who pretend to be conservative — is that they themselves know nothing about history and are forced to stereotype the views of their opponents on the left. It is, after all, always easiest to win an argument against ... a straw man.
Many leftists historians dispute them, moron. Sowell is saying that leftists are stupid and most of what they believe is patently false. You would be upset with these quotes if you were smarter.

You're understanding of conservatives is obvious horseshit.

It's actually very revealing to ME that you either don't listen to the left, or you refuse to believe they mean what they say. No one who is advocating "intersectionalism", race victimhood, and "America was founded on its uniquely evil racism and slavery" - and the left most certainly DOES advocate all three - is going to be okay with Sowell's quotes.

Btw, his fourth quote is entirely correct in the context of his book. You should read it.

One problem of many leftists is that they think they know history because they know their own invented theories about it. A second problem is that they think everyone lives in confirmation bias bubbles just because they do. It's actually not possible for anyone on the right to live their lives without hearing what the left says, thinks, and believes multiple times every day. YOU stereotype, because you can and do avoid ever actually hearing or conversing with actual conservatives; WE simply listen to what leftists say and move forward with it.

By all means, prove me wrong. Show me this "straw man" I'm using, how leftists don't routinely promote views of race in America that run directly contrary to Sowell's quotes. Prove to me how the left doesn't insist that slavery is an American sin, rather than a human one. Prove to me how the left doesn't reject - vociferously and angrily - any idea of context being applied to historical figures. Prove to me how the left doesn't promote the idea that white people are uniquely bad and sinful and oppressive, simply by being white.

Prove to me that you deserve this snotty tone of superiority you have the gall to adopt.

Forum List

Back