Zone1 This Kind of Preaching Is Exactly Why I Left The Church

I am not catholic but we have catholic family members. To what are you referring when you say, RCC teaching as my guideline....what is that specifically?
Every Sunday Mass we have four readings from the Bible--two Old Testament readings; two New Testaments. All four are coordinated so that we are presented with (mostly) a single theme. Old Testament points to the New Testament which points to one's current life.

so these guidelines are part of the service and you get a focused topic from both testaments to back it up. That is interesting. Can you recall a service with the four readings? Perhaps one that you don't remember the readings but you recall the 'lesson' or guideline? I've been to Catholic services but not being a practicing member in that church i would not know or perhaps recognize the procedure regarding this.

I don't believe Father Nature created gays because, so far, we have found no 'gay gene.' It's probably some kind of mental condition possibly brought on by environmental influences and exacerbated by uneven young hormone levels.

so these guidelines are part of the service and you get a focused topic from both testaments to back it up. That is interesting. Can you recall a service with the four readings? Perhaps one that you don't remember the readings but you recall the 'lesson' or guideline? I've been to Catholic services but not being a practicing member in that church i would not know or perhaps recognize the procedure regarding this.
Last Sunday, the first reading was from Deuteronomy where we are told that God's Commandments are in our hearts and in our mouths--and we are all capable of knowing them--they are not something far away that someone has to go retrieve them and bring them to us.

The second reading was from Psalms reminding us that God's words are spirit and life.

Third, was a reading from Colossians that Jesus is the first born, the head of the Church.

Fourth we have the parable of the Good Samaritan.

The theme throughout these readings is that God's word is not hidden--it is in our hearts and mouths. We don't have to look far for it, we actually possess it. The same with Jesus. He is the head of the Church and easily found. The story of the Good Samaritan reminds us that Jesus was asked, "Who is my neighbor?" Jesus tells a parable and then asks the man, "Who was the neighbor?" and of course, the man knew. We were taught that God and His word are with us--we do not need to go on a great hunt--simply look within.

There was an old story where angels ask where God's word can be placed so that it is hidden from those who would defile it yet available to those who would treasure it. The reply: "Put it in their hearts because in the heart it is always present--but also a place that can be easily missed by those who do not take it seriously."

In a good homily, all readings are tied together. Add a good choir, and songs with the same theme as the readings are chosen.

Thanks for your explanation. Meriweather that helps a lot. I especially like this part. Good story.

There was an old story where angels ask where God's word can be placed so that it is hidden from those who would defile it yet available to those who would treasure it. The reply: "Put it in their hearts because in the heart it is always present--but also a place that can be easily missed by those who do not take it seriously."

I don't know where you're getting all of this from, but you probably should read through the posts in this thread again.
I responded to ONE post....it was clear and unambiguous. Now you are saying that you did not write what I responded to because I failed to read others posts? In the real world that called deflection away from your own position.

It reminds me of how Barry Soetoro attempted to sell his plan of health care and called it the "Affordable Health Care Act"........turns out after actually reading the plan......the affordable part was nothing but a propaganda laced form of income redistribution in the attempt to very FASCISALY make people purchase something they neither wanted nor need by majority......Obama, aka., Barry was redistributing the income of those who actually paid taxes......the younger demography of American Citizens to those who did not contribute anything to the Tax Coffers. Obama attempted to lay the blame on the ignorant masses who simply did not have the mental cognitive abilities to comprehend his brilliant plan.

I understood exactly what was written in the 1st post. And I demonstrated that position was never included in the doctrine found in the Holy Scriptures, by book, chapter and or verse.

ls
Then why doesn't he smite (or is it smote) those who eat cheesburgers and seafood?
Because the laws of the Jews were exclusively for the Jews, the nation of Biblical Israel (Deut. 4,5)..........not for any other nation on earth, as God was a "husband" unto Biblical Israel (Jer. 31:31-34)........just as prophesied by Jer. We today live by Laws that are written on the heart of those believe, not on stone, we live under laws of the New Testament of Christ Jesus who nailed the Old Law to His sacrificial cross. (Col. 2:14)

And under those laws we find that the restrictions made to the peoples of biblical Israel do not apply to the Law of Christ. It was God who declared, "Every living thing that moves shall be food to you....." -- Genesis 9:3. The Apostle of Christ explains, "Now the Spirit (Holy Spirit of God) says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, forbidding to marry, (Catholic Church forbid their clergy to marry), to abstain from foods which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth.......FOR EVERY CREATURE IS OF GOD IS GOOD, AND NOTHING IS TO BE REFUSED IF IT IS RECEIVED WITH THANKSGIVING." -- 1 Tim. 4:1-3

Christians are not forbidden to eat any type of meat (Acts 10:9-16)

Last edited:
Let me just start off by saying here it's why I stopped going to church,.. not why I stopped being a Christian. Sure I believe that God won't put up with sin, (like homosexuality) but if you argue with the fact that God isn't full of love or that you should be afraid of Him (as what I do believe He's saying here) it really makes me mad. :mad:

You should REALLY LISTEN to him. He takes the time to walk a person step by step to the REAL God. He uses LOGIC and the Scriptures. You judge by emotion.

You've ever experienced true Christian repentance.

Last edited:
You've ever experienced true Christian repentance.

Yeah, well that just goes to show what you know,.. AKA nothing because unless your name is Jesus Christ (and I'm pretty sure it's not) then you have absolutely no right to judge me.

Btw, I really am more of a one with nature kind of gal anyways. Sometimes I think enjoying the beauty of God's creation of nature and actually going out there and experiencing it is somewhat better than sitting in a pew for an hour anyways. As whenever I go out for a nature hike or to the beach I feel close to God's presence and the closest I feel to Him than currently anywhere else I go.

We're all going to need a church family really soon. That's my two cents.

Let me just start off by saying here it's why I stopped going to church,.. not why I stopped being a Christian. Sure I believe that God won't put up with sin, (like homosexuality) but if you argue with the fact that God isn't full of love or that you should be afraid of Him (as what I do believe He's saying here) it really makes me mad. :mad:

Norman is lovely and Comfort does a good job of laying out the Gospel. Don't know what the problem is here.

Yeah, well that just goes to show what you know,.. AKA nothing because unless your name is Jesus Christ (and I'm pretty sure it's not) then you have absolutely no right to judge me.

He doesn't, but I would be careful about saying you're "spiritually gifted" while you don't go to church, yet tell people what God "told you". You're basically then proclaiming yourself a prophet of God. When you claim to speak for God, you are held to a very high standard--there are lots of Biblical warnings about that.

God has spoken authoritatively through His Word. You can always cite that with assurance.

He doesn't, but I would be careful about saying you're "spiritually gifted" while you don't go to church, yet tell people what God "told you". You're basically then proclaiming yourself a prophet of God. When you claim to speak for God, you are held to a very high standard--there are lots of Biblical warnings about that.

God has spoken authoritatively through His Word. You can always cite that with assurance.

So because I don't go to church I can't hear from God? I never said either way whether He told me or didn't tell me to go to church. So please stop acting like I did. I don't think I've ever said that He told me anything that wasn't scripture based.

You don't need the church to find Jesus. He'll welcome you as long as you accept him in your heart.

I still haven’t found Jesus and I was raised in church from the time I was born until I left home. I even spent time in church after I was grown. I had many emotional experiences but I never ever found Jesus.

I quit looking for him. He is hiding.

I still haven’t found Jesus and I was raised in church from the time I was born until I left home. I even spent time in church after I was grown. I had many emotional experiences but I never ever found Jesus.

I quit looking for him. He is hiding.
If you’re a believer then Jesus is an ideal more than an entity.

I’m cool with that. I grew up around fanatics and am still surrounding by fanatics that believes Jesus can live inside of a heart.
Yes, as an ideal. He won’t physically inhabit your heart. Also ‘heart’ is often used as a metaphor for one’s morality.

Forum List

Back