Zone1 This is why I think we need a three strikes and you'r out law.

January 10, 2024 9:56 AM CWBChicago

61-year-old woman ‘not expected to survive’ after being savagely beaten on a CTA train in the Loop: prosecutors​

CHICAGO — Prosecutors say a 61-year-old woman is brain dead and will likely die after an eight-time felon, on parole for robbing an undercover CPD narcotics officer, savagely beat her during a robbery aboard a Red Line train in downtown Chicago.

Judge William Fahy granted the state’s petition to detain Mijawon Johnson, 36, as a public safety threat during a hearing at the Leighton Criminal Courthouse. State officials have also moved to revoke his parole.

Surveillance video showed Johnson trying to steal the Uptown woman’s bag on a train car near State-Lake around 1:33 a.m. on January 4, officials said. He soon launched a violent attack, pinning her head on a seat and repeatedly punching her in the head and stomach, the detention petition said. Officials said he “stomped” on her body and left her on the train.

i need to know if she is a biden supporter.........if she, is she got what she voted for............if not, a horrific tragedy

So capital punishment for aggravated assault. Wow.
Multiple times, absolutely. Aren't you done with criminals beating people to death. Do we give them a freebie. Like a dog getting one free bite. One free kill, then we really start paying attention.

Multiple times, absolutely. Aren't you done with criminals beating people to death. Do we give them a freebie. Like a dog getting one free bite. One free kill, then we really start paying attention.
Yeah, your fellow conservative thinks it’s a one and done:

Crimes involving weapons, should all be facing the death penalty.
I think you’re right if it’s a 3rd strike offense...

...can’t go along with that. Not a fan of the death penalty for one thing;
Really? *See below.
for another, if you used a 2 X 4 to hit someone during a fight.. the death penalty seems harsh.
In those circumstances, it isn't clear-cut.
You are right, men that put a knife to a 12 year old girl's throat while violently raping her deserve many chances. At least three or four.
One wonders sometimes if that is their thought process.
Another right winger hung up on kids and sex.
What is your hang-up on right-wingers?
Do you think he scenario I gave warrants a death penalty?
* Your Avatar begs me to ask if you think the fact that Palestinians in Gaza wake up every morning warrants their extermination or not?

Maybe I'm missing something but we've had 3 strike laws for decades. The problem was they were so generically written that it ended up filling the prisons with minor drug offenders. What we need IMO are judicial oversight committees who can review cases of VIOLENT criminals and make sure the judge's ruling makes sense. All too often we see repeat violent offenders finally killing someone and then everyone asks "how is this guy back on the street"?

So the idea here is we are going to punish people for what they might do rather than what they have done. Did you really think that one through?

Maybe I'm missing something but we've had 3 strike laws for decades. The problem was they were so generically written that it ended up filling the prisons with minor drug offenders. What we need IMO are judicial oversight committees who can review cases of VIOLENT criminals and make sure the judge's ruling makes sense. All too often we see repeat violent offenders finally killing someone and then everyone asks "how is this guy back on the street"?
There will always be problems with any system we choose. Things like 3-strikes impose a one size fits all solution which has been a failure. I don’t think a judicial oversight panel is the answer.

So the idea here is we are going to punish people for what they might do rather than what they have done. Did you really think that one through?
No. They would be punished for three or more violent assaults. It's called a three strikes law for a reason.

There will always be problems with any system we choose. Things like 3-strikes impose a one size fits all solution which has been a failure. I don’t think a judicial oversight panel is the answer.
I suggest judicial oversight panels because the 3 strike laws have been a failure as you agree. The oversight panels would bring another set of legal eyes to these WTF? cases that result in violent criminals being released on the public. I don't see what the downside would be.

What criminals have done is a good predictor of what they will do. REhabilitation is rarely effective.

What criminals have done is a good predictor of what they will do. REhabilitation is rarely effective.
You’re second sentence is arguable.

But the biggest issue is punishing people (or executing them) on the basis of what they MIGHT do…good lord, that’s the stuff of science fiction! Think it through!

You’re second sentence is arguable.

But the biggest issue is punishing people (or executing them) on the basis of what they MIGHT do…good lord, that’s the stuff of science fiction! Think it through!
I do not want to take chances on someone who is worthless and dangerous.

I have to agree with you. But I would stipulate the class of felony convictions be taken into account.

State Jail Felonies for example; that often involves having narcotics. I understand that you can get felony DWI convictions. Should someone go away for life if their third strike is a non-violent crime? I think any gun crime should be one and done if the gun is brandished during the crime (it doesn’t have to be fired).

I agree with the idea...3 strikes and you’re out. But I’m not sure that life in prison is the right sentence in all crimes. I’d say a minimum of 20 years/mandatory 15.
The problem with that attitude is that by the time a criminal is convicted of three felonies, he’s had several dozen or more pled down to misdemeanors. D.A.s plead down far more cases than they take to trial.

I have to agree with you. But I would stipulate the class of felony convictions be taken into account.

State Jail Felonies for example; that often involves having narcotics. I understand that you can get felony DWI convictions.
DWI felonies are violent crimes.

Narcotics, Heroine, those are extremely dangerous people. If you get 3 felony narcotic convictions, hell yea, you need to be locked up forever.

Hooked on heroine, is no joke, they may not be violent, but if they get convicted of a felony narcotic charge it is because they did do something extremely dangerous or were caught while committing another felony like robbery.

DWI felonies are violent crimes.
No they're not.
Narcotics, Heroine, those are extremely dangerous people. If you get 3 felony narcotic convictions, hell yea, you need to be locked up forever.
Heroin (as it is spelled in English) is a schedule I narcotic.
Hooked on heroine, is no joke, they may not be violent, but if they get convicted of a felony narcotic charge it is because they did do something extremely dangerous or were caught while committing another felony like robbery.
Robbery is usually a felony 2 so yep... mere possession? Nope.

candycorn, you could not be more ignorant.

Driving while intoxicated is a Misdemeanor.
Killing or injuring a person, driving while intoxicated is a felony.
Were you dropped on your head at birth? You said DWI was a violent crime. You didn’t mention anyone else being involved.

No they're not.

Heroin (as it is spelled in English) is a schedule I narcotic.

Robbery is usually a felony 2 so yep... mere possession? Nope.
Anyone driving under the influence is risking murdering other people. Driving is dangerous at any time, driving impaired is criminally stupid. So yes, at least in my opinion, DUI is a violent crime.

Forum List

Back