This is odd...

from the article

Moscow, Russia (CNN) -- Troops from the United States, Britain and France marched in the annual Victory Day parade through Red Square for the first time Sunday, a step Russia's president called a nod toward their "common victory" in World War II.
The annual parade celebrates the defeat of Nazi Germany by the former Soviet Union and its Western allies and serves as a demonstration of Russian military might. More than 120 aircraft flew overhead and more than 10,500 troops paraded through the capital this year.

Western troops join Russia's Victory Day parade - CNN.com

This is unusual. I really don't understand why we have an international assortment of troops marching under the former soviet union. I can't think of another nation or other nation that does this. When will russian troops return the favor and march in one of our patriotic holidays?

They won't. They'd rather take us over. That hasn't changed. They're licking their chops over the present CINC.

OP is a idiot and didn't bother to read the article. Nothing new, nothing to see here folks.

This is a huge step forward for the Russians. Over the years they have tended to airbrush out several important parts of their history during the period. That they acknowledge assistance at all is a huge step forward.
They generally airbrushed out the fact that the US and Britain were also fighting Japan at the time, which the Russians were not.
And they airbrushed out events in Africa, southern France, the Eastern med and Italy.
And yes, it was a joint venture, and yes, it is a good thing that that fact is acknowledged. I think they haven't ever been invited before. But given past behavior, it is unlikely they would be.

This is a huge step forward for the Russians. Over the years they have tended to airbrush out several important parts of their history during the period. That they acknowledge assistance at all is a huge step forward.
They generally airbrushed out the fact that the US and Britain were also fighting Japan at the time, which the Russians were not.
And they airbrushed out events in Africa, southern France, the Eastern med and Italy.
And yes, it was a joint venture, and yes, it is a good thing that that fact is acknowledged. I think they haven't ever been invited before. But given past behavior, it is unlikely they would be.

Indeed. We have our own problem here on this side of the atlantic with people who think that the U.S came in the war after Pearl Harbor and beat the Nazis single handed. The Battle of Stalingrad was one of the bloodiest battles in history, if not the bloodiest, but too many Americans couldn't even tell you about it.

from the article

Moscow, Russia (CNN) -- Troops from the United States, Britain and France marched in the annual Victory Day parade through Red Square for the first time Sunday, a step Russia's president called a nod toward their "common victory" in World War II.
The annual parade celebrates the defeat of Nazi Germany by the former Soviet Union and its Western allies and serves as a demonstration of Russian military might. More than 120 aircraft flew overhead and more than 10,500 troops paraded through the capital this year.

I think it is great that two former allies who became bitter rivals can now celebrate the defeat of Nazi Germany.

The impact of WWII on Russia is much greater than the impact on the US. The Russians lost ten percent of their population and did the lions share of defeating Nazi Germany. For them to invite the US should be an honor

from the article

I think it's great. According to the article, a lot of Russians didn't like it.

[
I think it's great. According to the article, a lot of Russians didn't like it.

Another one with reading comprehension? :eusa_eh:

The majority liked it.

and more than half of Russians greeted the invitation to foreign troops with approval, according to a poll by the independent Levada Center in April.

Forging closer ties with Russia is in our mutual interests...

WWII was a turning point for both countries. we should have no problem celebrating together

OP is a idiot and didn't bother to read the article. Nothing new, nothing to see here folks.

I did read it but I wonder why wonder how come not have a victory parade composing the different nation's troops do this in germany, America, England, and etc, etc, etc. I find it odd that countries that celebrate this are only doing it in one country alone when every country had a stake in it.

No matter how nice I try to be to asswipes like you have to post some kind of insult. I will refrain from describing any insulting terms for you in order for civility between me and asswipes like yourselves.

I did read it but I wonder why wonder how come not have a victory parade composing the different nation's troops do this in germany, America, England, and etc, etc, etc. I find it odd that countries that celebrate this are only doing it in one country alone when every country had a stake in it.

No matter how nice I try to be to asswipes like you have to post some kind of insult. I will refrain from describing any insulting terms for you in order for civility between me and asswipes like yourselves.

Most Americans look at the war in Europe as D Day and the Battle of the Bulge...Fact is that the Soviets bore the major load in Europe and killed 20 times the number of Germans that we did.

We should be honored to share the celebration with them

WWII was a turning point for both countries. we should have no problem celebrating together

Since both our countries are leaning more towards communism, I'm sure that will happen.

Wrong. Russia is an ass-backward country ruled by thugs who would slip polonium into your tea without thinking twice. Forging closer ties with Russia is in no country's interest unless that country wishes to be complicit in genocide and persecution.

Policy recommendations from the US Commission on International Religious Freedom's 2010 report, released a couple of weeks ago:

The U.S. should implement the “Smith Amendment” of the 2010 Consolidated Appropriations Act to prohibit U.S. financial assistance to the Russian Federation government due to its official policies on religious groups, particularly its wide use of the extremism law. The U.S. also should institute a visa ban and freeze the assets of Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov due to his leadership of the Chechen armed forces, which the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) has found involved in severe human rights abuses. U.S.-funded grants to NGOs should include the promotion of international legal guarantees on freedom of religion or belief, and U.S.-funded exchange programs should include participants from Russian regions with sizeable Muslim and other religious minority populations. In addition, the United States should initiate International Visitor’s Programs for Russian officials on the prevention and prosecution of hate crimes.​

Full report:
http://www.uscirf.gov/images/annual%20report%202010.pdf

See also:
Russian Federation Human Rights
Alexander Litvinenko - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is no progress. They do precisely the same thing today; journalists and activists who even begin to question the Russian version of events have a tendency of turning up dead.

This is a good thing. We should have celebrated with all our Allies many years ago. But there was that little thing called the cold war.

But why Russia? Why Red Square? I can't think of any other National Capitol other than our own National Mall where that many troops and that much equipment might be staged for a parade. And I'm not certain you could make it work in Washington.

This Victory Day parade didn't quite live up to the one in 2004. The pyrotechnic display (1:24) really made it an occasion to remember.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHWhs5QkfuY]YouTube - Parade surprise (Chechnya 2004)[/ame]

Wrong. Russia is an ass-backward country ruled by thugs who would slip polonium into your tea without thinking twice. Forging closer ties with Russia is in no country's interest unless that country wishes to be complicit in genocide and persecution.

Just like most Islamic countries then!

Forum List

Back