These photographs of real life African natives prove that Dr. Seuss's drawings are not racist. Instead, they are examples of diversity.

Drop Dead Fred

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2020
This is from my blog:

Dr. Seuss’s drawing of African natives with mouth rings and grass skirts is not “racist.” On the contrary, it’s an example of the “diversity” that liberals are always saying they are in favor of. And here are some photographs of real life African natives to prove it.

By Daniel Alman (aka Dan from Squirrel Hill)

March 6, 2021

Here’s a drawing by Dr. Seuss, which social justice warriors claim is “racist.”

dr-seuss.jpeg

Do I think the drawing is racist?

Before answering that question, I decided to google some photographs of real life African natives.

Here are two that I found. I’m including them here under the policy of fair use:

Sources:

https://www.alamy.com/women-in-grass-skirts-performing-kastom-traditional-culture-dancing-image65466219.html

Now that I have looked at the photographs, my answer to the question is no. I do not think Dr. Suess’s drawing is racist.

I say this, because the mouth rings and grass skirts in Dr. Seuss’s drawing, are based on real life mouth rings and grass skirts in the two photographs.

Liberals are always saying they want “diversity.”

But now liberals are saying that Dr. Seuss’s drawing is “racist” because it included that very same diversity.

If Dr. Suess had only included white people in his drawings, liberals would be criticizing him for his lack of diversity.

This article From Yahoo! criticizes the lack of black hairstyles in modern movies. The author writes:

But the report found some short-comings, noting… more than half of Black leading ladies in popular films from the past decade have hairstyles consistent with “European standards of beauty as opposed to natural Black hairstyles.”

So the people who create books and movies will always be accused or racism, no matter what they do. If they do show black hairstyles, they get accused of racism. If they don’t show black hairstyles, they get accused of racism.

I’m against cancel culture.

However, based on the “logic” of cancel culture, if the Dr. Seuss drawing of mouth rings and grass skirts should be “canceled,” then so should all photographs of mouth rings and grass skirts.

This is from my blog:

Dr. Seuss’s drawing of African natives with mouth rings and grass skirts is not “racist.” On the contrary, it’s an example of the “diversity” that liberals are always saying they are in favor of. And here are some photographs of real life African natives to prove it.

March 6, 2021

dr-seuss.jpeg

Before answering that question, I decided to google some photographs of real life African natives.

Here are two that I found. I’m including them here under the policy of fair use:

Sources:

https://www.alamy.com/women-in-grass-skirts-performing-kastom-traditional-culture-dancing-image65466219.html

Now that I have looked at the photographs, my answer to the question is no. I do not think Dr. Suess’s drawing is racist.

I say this, because the mouth rings and grass skirts in Dr. Seuss’s drawing, are based on real life mouth rings and grass skirts in the two photographs.

But now liberals are saying that Dr. Seuss’s drawing is “racist” because it included that very same diversity.

If Dr. Suess had only included white people in his drawings, liberals would be criticizing him for his lack of diversity.

This article From Yahoo! criticizes the lack of black hairstyles in modern movies. The author writes:

But the report found some short-comings, noting… more than half of Black leading ladies in popular films from the past decade have hairstyles consistent with “European standards of beauty as opposed to natural Black hairstyles.”

So the people who create books and movies will always be accused or racism, no matter what they do. If they do show black hairstyles, they get accused of racism. If they don’t show black hairstyles, they get accused of racism.

However, based on the “logic” of cancel culture, if the Dr. Seuss drawing of mouth rings and grass skirts should be “canceled,” then so should all photographs of mouth rings and grass skirts.

Aside from the fact that you’re ignorant, you should talk to his family. They made the decision.

Against banning of any books. But the family decided to stop printing 6 of the about 60 books, their choice.

This is from my blog:

March 6, 2021

dr-seuss.jpeg

Sources:

OH PLEASE!!!!

You remind me of those idiot combing the bible to prove GAWOD approves of their racism and abuse of women.

Do you have a single shred of evidence that Suess EVER saw those pictures?

Do you know Seuss himself was embarrassed over the drawings?

I'm willing to be NO and NO for a perfect exacta.

I win and you are just a loser.

This is from my blog:

March 6, 2021

dr-seuss.jpeg

Sources:

Aside from the fact that you’re ignorant, you should talk to his family. They made the decision.

Not unilateraly out of the blue and you know it. You fucking book buring Nazi.

There is nothing wrong with those books and you know it. Stop hiding behind bullshit.

Last edited:
This is from my blog:

March 6, 2021

dr-seuss.jpeg

Sources:

OH PLEASE!!!!

You remind me of those idiot combing the bible to prove GAWOD approves of their racism and abuse of women.

I remember seeing similar pictures of African natives with mouth rings and grass skirts before I was a teenager over half a century ago. Therefore it seems quite likely Theodore Seuss Geisel also viewed them.

Geisel also produced political cartoons for adults such as this one. Obviously he supported FDR and the internment of Japanese during WWII. After the war his views of Japanese were far more positive.
1615076434627.png

Dr. Seuss 1942 cartoon with the caption 'Waiting for the Signal from Home'

OH PLEASE!!!!

It's not a stretch to assume that Seuss would have been aware of said pictures and cultures, especially when considering his educational background.

Now, banning the material he did for propaganda for WW2 against the Japanese is more understandable. Some of his illustrations about the Japanese were rather offensive.

This is from my blog:

March 6, 2021

dr-seuss.jpeg

Sources:

Any chance you can post a link showing some family made the decision? Audrey Geisel has been dead for several years. They never had children together and she in fact sent her two daughters (9 and 14) away to school after she divorced her husband to marry Theodor Geisel, never to move into a closer relationship with them until after Theodor Geisel's death. Audrey was the driving force before she hired Susan Brandt, who now runs the company as President of the Dr. Seuss Enterprises and team that run the company. There does not appear to be any family connection and Audrey Geisel has been dead since 2018.
Audrey Geisel, 97, Dies; Dr. Seuss’ Widow and Keeper of His Flame (Published 2018)

Forum List

Back