Zone1 "There are not 100 people who hate the Catholic Church.." said Fr Sheen

nomadic5

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2022

"There are not 100 people who hate the Catholic Church.." said Bishop Futon Sheen

but there are millions who hate what they think is the Catholic Church...

full discussion at that site

from the site:

These millions can hardly be blamed for hating Catholics because Catholics “adore statues”; because they “put the Blessed Mother on the same level with God”; because they say “indulgence is a permission to commit sin”; because the Pope “is a Fascist”; because the “Church is the defender of Capitalism.” If the Church taught or believed any one of these things it should be hated, but the fact is that the Church does not believe nor teach any one of them. It follows then that the hatred of the millions is directed against error and not against truth

My comments

Actually, the Church before 1958 DID defend Capitalism

and should do so still... (which issue is one way you know that the Vatican is not the true Catholic Church)

"There are not 100 people who hate the Catholic Church.." said Bishop Futon Sheen

Thanks. I will watch.

Watching anything from Archbishop Sheen is always inspirational, as well as entertaining.

To a non-Catholic Christian, this "hatred" of the Catholic Church seems to be somewhat of a Straw Man argument. However, I agree with the Archbishop that we are letting Christianity slip through our fingers and those of our children. What to do? I would love to see a reconciliation of Christian churches that would honor varying expressions of dogma while reaffirming the divinity of Christ's teachings.

from the site:

These millions can hardly be blamed for hating Catholics because Catholics “adore statues”; because they “put the Blessed Mother on the same level with God”; because they say “indulgence is a permission to commit sin”; because the Pope “is a Fascist”; because the “Church is the defender of Capitalism.” If the Church taught or believed any one of these things it should be hated, but the fact is that the Church does not believe nor teach any one of them. It follows then that the hatred of the millions is directed against error and not against truth

My comments

Actually, the Church before 1958 DID defend Capitalism

and should do so still... (which issue is one way you know that the Vatican is not the true Catholic Church)
I worked for the Catholics for almost 10 years(long time ago), SPECIFICALLY the Latin Catholics @ the Mt. Saint Michaels academy located in N/E Spokane Wa. Considering I am not of the Catholic faith it's a miracle that they employed me for that length of time. I had & still do respect(I know that we are not supposed to call people the next word) 'Father' Casimir & sister Janae. They did not just approve of my quality of work but I could tell that they took to me as I did with them also. I did not agree with 'some' of the teachings of the Latin Catholic church but had a LOT more issues with the Roman Catholic church. I actually had a common Latin Catholic(& others) tell me that he/they believed the then Pope of the Roman Catholic church was the antichrist!

I am not in the position to 'Hate' anyone as I have my own collection of skeletons hanging in the ole closet for sure, like I need the "free pass' for I sure as hell did not earn it! I do what our Maker said to do & that is to pray for us all, which sounds more logical than hating folks to me. As far as different denominations I believe in freedom of both thought & speech. Maybe if more folks were on the 'hotline' praying to our Maker we would not be witnessing the decaying societal structure that is collapsing all around us?

On a different note the Mt. Saint Michaels structure is on the Register of Historical Places. I asked about the old radio gear just off the water tank room(BIG water tank up there!) They told me that during WW2 the Mt. was in a perfect location as a sending/receiving station. It was from the Mt. that our military personnel in the pacific theater first learned that Italy had surrendered to the allies! I remember that my dad had told me about that announcement, then said to me, "Kid I knew right then & there that the axis was finished". If you are in driving range of the Mt. it's definitely worth scheduling a tour of the main structure. If you do, ask them if they would allow you a roof top view of Spokane. I used to go up on the roof @ nighttime for a view of Spokane under the stars(awesome!). Ask them about the HOLE in the basement floor so you can see the lava rock that had to blasted out for the foundation(a lot of work!).

I worked for the Catholics for almost 10 years(long time ago), SPECIFICALLY the Latin Catholics @ the Mt. Saint Michaels academy located in N/E Spokane Wa. Considering I am not of the Catholic faith it's a miracle that they employed me for that length of time. I had & still do respect(I know that we are not supposed to call people the next word) 'Father' Casimir & sister Janae. They did not just approve of my quality of work but I could tell that they took to me as I did with them also. I did not agree with 'some' of the teachings of the Latin Catholic church but had a LOT more issues with the Roman Catholic church. I actually had a common Latin Catholic(& others) tell me that he/they believed the then Pope of the Roman Catholic church was the antichrist!

I am not in the position to 'Hate' anyone as I have my own collection of skeletons hanging in the ole closet for sure, like I need the "free pass' for I sure as hell did not earn it! I do what our Maker said to do & that is to pray for us all, which sounds more logical than hating folks to me. As far as different denominations I believe in freedom of both thought & speech. Maybe if more folks were on the 'hotline' praying to our Maker we would not be witnessing the decaying societal structure that is collapsing all around us?

On a different note the Mt. Saint Michaels structure is on the Register of Historical Places. I asked about the old radio gear just off the water tank room(BIG water tank up there!) They told me that during WW2 the Mt. was in a perfect location as a sending/receiving station. It was from the Mt. that our military personnel in the pacific theater first learned that Italy had surrendered to the allies! I remember that my dad had told me about that announcement, then said to me, "Kid I knew right then & there that the axis was finished". If you are in driving range of the Mt. it's definitely worth scheduling a tour of the main structure. If you do, ask them if they would allow you a roof top view of Spokane. I used to go up on the roof @ nighttime for a view of Spokane under the stars(awesome!). Ask them about the HOLE in the basement floor so you can see the lava rock that had to blasted out for the foundation(a lot of work!).

I have visited Lutheran, Methodist, Episcopal, Baptist and Presbyterian churches and some really messed up mish-mash called Mars Hill Church, and in none of them have I felt as warmly welcomed as I have in every Catholic Church I've entered.

I remember watching him on TV as a non-religious child and really liking him!

Are any children religious? laugh

I never was. But then once you;'ve been in the world X number of yrs, you realize.. there's got to be some meaning to all this.. Children just want to play and learn and explore and that's great. But after awhile, you start to grow and.. well, it's different w/ each child but kind of the same in some ways for all of us. There has to be a meaning to life.

I have visited Lutheran, Methodist, Episcopal, Baptist and Presbyterian churches and some really messed up mish-mash called Mars Hill Church, and in none of them have I felt as warmly welcomed as I have in every Catholic Church I've entered.

that's interesting. I have felt welcome in Protestant "churches" (there's only one Church and it is the [true] Catholic Church) but as soon as the welcoming committee found out I am Catholic... not so friendly (to say the least).

Well, Jesus said it would be like this: You will be hated by all because of Me (Mk 13:13 and Mt something or other)

OK

I used to live not far from that area (briefly)

I'm curious: who was pope at that time? the one that Catholic thought was Anti-Christ?

To a non-Catholic Christian, this "hatred" of the Catholic Church seems to be somewhat of a Straw Man argument. However, I agree with the Archbishop that we are letting Christianity slip through our fingers and those of our children. What to do? I would love to see a reconciliation of Christian churches that would honor varying expressions of dogma while reaffirming the divinity of Christ's teachings.
the thing is, the Original Church cannot change dogma. If nonCatholics don't like it, they will have to keep studying and either reject or accept it. It cannot be changed. Francis would tell u something different but he is not a Catholic. I mean, I don't say that lightly. But if Catholics (who have been so for many years) cannot recognize and distinguish a Catholic from a non-C, something jis aint right

Besides, I have read plenty of books on what happened at Vatican II... essentially the Vatican was stolen from Catholics, taken over by anti-Catholics.. who had been trying to do so for centuries

the Original Church cannot change dogma. If nonCatholics don't like it, they will have to keep studying and either reject or accept it. It cannot be changed.
Jesus turned water into wine, but he did not turn wine into his own blood. And what about saints? Did He consecrate any of them? I don't mind your believing so, but it is a pretty poor excuse for labeling those who disagree as heretics.

Jesus turned water into wine, but he did not turn wine into his own blood. And what about saints? Did He consecrate any of them? I don't mind your believing so, but it is a pretty poor excuse for labeling those who disagree as heretics.
to you it is a poor excuse

but who are you exactly?

Are you someone I should listen to vis a vis Church matters (as opposed to the 2000 year old Church Christ founded.. Oh, wait... that would be: the approximately 1958 year old Church)

I tend to think not

Truth doesn't change. The True Church, therefore, does not change in its dogmas/doctrines..

which again proves that the Vatican is far from being the True Church (the True Church was just housed there for 1958 years)

We(Spokane) have Gonzaga U. & Gonzaga prep(high school) & of course the Mount St. Michaels church & Academy as well as the Lady of Lourdes cathedral & others churches of the Catholic denomination. I believe Mt. Saint Michaels is the only(?) Latin Catholic church in Spokane. The rest of the Catholic churches of course are of the Roman Catholic church. The Latin Catholic nuns wear a blue/white habit, white cloak & blue robe cloak where the Roman Catholic nuns wear the more traditional white & black. The Roman Catholic nuns frequent the Mount as I have seen them up there many times. The Catholics are indeed warm hearted folks like I could not say a bad word about them. They are FULLY dedicated to the faith.

After I cleared Oregon back in 68' I took any job I could get & ended up in local 269 Painters & Allied Trades union @ the start of 1970. In my 2nd six months of my apprenticeship I worked on the ceiling inside that impressive Lady of Lourdes cathedral for about two or so weeks before I was shipped out of town to another job site.

Hope things are going good for you over there!

You look at the many famous cathedrals in Europe and realize its bishops and archbishops competing with each other to build the most expensive church. All that wealth that could have gone back to the people in need.

You look at the scandals' like in Illinois where hundreds of priests were allowed to abuse parishioners for decades, shuffled around to different parishes to protect.

Catholic church is fine. Its the people that run it that are the problem.

You look at the many famous cathedrals in Europe and realize its bishops and archbishops competing with each other to build the most expensive church. All that wealth that could have gone back to the people in need.

You look at the scandals' like in Illinois where hundreds of priests were allowed to abuse parishioners for decades, shuffled around to different parishes to protect.

Catholic church is fine. Its the people that run it that are the problem.
the reason for the big cathedrals has to do with... books in the Old Testament wherein we find that God had specifics on how the temple and the Ark of the Covenant were to be built, how they would look.etc. real gold and etc..

Catholicism did not abolish the Jewish faith entirely like the protestants have... long story, running out of time to elaborate... a very long story anyhow

from the site:

Interesting idea! :)

Forum List

Back