The Wussification of Society

JBG

Liberal democrat
Jan 8, 2012
New York City area
Our society has lost a good deal of its willingness to take risks over the years. Examples include:
  1. Removing most playground that’s any fun;
  2. Requiring bicycle riders to wear helmets;
  3. Children don’t play outside, unsupervised anymore;
  4. Children get driven every where and don’t ride their bicycles;
  5. Cars have “passive restraints;” and
  6. We locked down society over what amounted, at worst, to be a bad flu.
The costs of this excessive caution cannot be overestimated. When I was growing up, where I played, how I played, how I got to leisure activities and the like were parental decisions. When I started bicycling at age seven, my range was restricted to my six-block “neighborhood” bounded by a secondary road. Later, when that road got a sidewalk, I was allowed to go about ½ mile to the boundary of another secondary road. Later, I could go outside those boundaries but only with another child.

“Pickup” baseball games started in late March, and soccer was the rule in the fall. Sledding and ice skating was the rule in winter. In fact, on December 2, 1967 I did fall through the ice, and was treading deep water. I was rescued, taken to the hospital and I’m still alive. I survived monkey bars and see-saws at a younger age. These days, my older son was one of the few that took the initiative to bike around, sometimes going about ten miles to one of his sets of grandparents. There was only one fall with a few scrapes.

Turning to adult pastimes, cars have been increasingly been put out of reach of mere mortals by “passive restraints” such as airbags, and other equipment that costs more than its worth to the average person. When it comes to the recent Covid “pandemic” society was locked down to no net benefit and egregious costs. The moneys saved could and should have been used to allow the vulnerable to be excused from work and having to go out.

Now, the government is getting ready to make heating and air conditioning, as well as travel more cumbersome. We live in a democratic society. Is this what we want?

I’m not saying we should have no rules or regulations. But, some cost-benefit analysis please.

I agree with most of that, but I blame life in the Suburbs for it. Unless you are lucky enough live within walking or easy biking distance from a real PARK, kids cannot play unless they are driven there...which means the "play" will be organized by adults.

Also, parents are older when they have kids. A 23-year-old dad is still a kid himself, and will not be as conservative about play as a 40-year-old dad. Women play a large part, as well. If you wait until you are 35 to have your first kid, you are heavily vested in that kid and you want their lives to be perfect. The very thought of that kid being hurt is unthinkable.

Much of safety ("passive restraints") is technical progress that harms nothing. The three-point seatbelt is a work of genius.

Honestly, I'm a little nauseated when I see kids doing perfectly ordinary things wearing helmets and various kinds of "guards" to keep them from getting hurt. Some risks are worth taking.

• Winner
Reactions: JBG
Our society has lost a good deal of its willingness to take risks over the years. Examples include:

There are playgrounds all over the place. Get out a little.

1. Requiring bicycle riders to wear helmets;

Only for minors and they largely ignore them.

1. Children don’t play outside, unsupervised anymore;

Of course they do. Get out more.

1. Children get driven every where and don’t ride their bicycles;

Many ride bicycles.

1. Cars have “passive restraints;” and

Just awful that cars are safer I guess.

1. We locked down society over what amounted, at worst, to be a bad flu.

Wasn't the first time.

The costs of this excessive caution cannot be overestimated. When I was growing up, where I played, how I played, how I got to leisure activities and the like were parental decisions. When I started bicycling at age seven, my range was restricted to my six-block “neighborhood” bounded by a secondary road. Later, when that road got a sidewalk, I was allowed to go about ½ mile to the boundary of another secondary road. Later, I could go outside those boundaries but only with another child.

“Pickup” baseball games started in late March, and soccer was the rule in the fall. Sledding and ice skating was the rule in winter. In fact, on December 2, 1967 I did fall through the ice, and was treading deep water. I was rescued, taken to the hospital and I’m still alive. I survived monkey bars and see-saws at a younger age. These days, my older son was one of the few that took the initiative to bike around, sometimes going about ten miles to one of his sets of grandparents. There was only one fall with a few scrapes.

Turning to adult pastimes, cars have been increasingly been put out of reach of mere mortals by “passive restraints” such as airbags, and other equipment that costs more than its worth to the average person. When it comes to the recent Covid “pandemic” society was locked down to no net benefit and egregious costs. The moneys saved could and should have been used to allow the vulnerable to be excused from work and having to go out.

Now, the government is getting ready to make heating and air conditioning, as well as travel more cumbersome. We live in a democratic society. Is this what we want?

I’m not saying we should have no rules or regulations. But, some cost-benefit analysis please.

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

You really want to be one of those people?

There are playgrounds all over the place. Get out a little.

Only for minors and they largely ignore them.

Of course they do. Get out more.

Many ride bicycles.

Just awful that cars are safer I guess.

Wasn't the first time.

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

You really want to be one of those people?
He left off that he and fellow Trump supporters have become 100% Wussified and have staged a 4 year long temper tantrum because they lost an election.

What are the costs of man-made carbon raising the earth's temperature. It's about $200 billion per year in floods, catastrophic storms and hurricanes, right now, and it rises every single year.

Thousands of Americans are now dying because of excessive heat in summer, wildfires, and other climate problems.

That's the cost/benefit analysis conservatives completely ignore.

What exactly is wrong with wearing a bike helmet? TBI is no joke.

A real man takes care of their family and they can’t do that if they’re paralyzed.

The manliest thing you can do is protect yourself so you can be there for your family. Even if you “look stupid“ because real men don’t give a shit what other people think of them.

You got old. 1967 was a long time ago (before my time). Stuff has evolved. Go yell at clouds.

What are the costs of man-made carbon raising the earth's temperature. It's about $200 billion per year in floods, catastrophic storms and hurricanes, right now, and it rises every single year.

Thousands of Americans are now dying because of excessive heat in summer, wildfires, and other climate problems.

That's the cost/benefit analysis conservatives completely ignore.
What a crock of shit. One billion people a century or so ago, three billion 55 years ago and 8 billion today. Many live near some sort of coast. We build on barrier islands. On every square inch in many areas. We build in flood zones. A lot of them. We constantly encroach into wilderness/wooded areas and do not do proper forest management in much of it, particularly in Prog states. We waste humongous amounts of money on projects of corruption. Look at a high-resolution photo of Miami. From above. Any flooding issues is on them and how they built up that area. All ocean front areas need to be built on wisely and the structures need to withstand higher grade hurricanes. Flood zone structures may be needed for farming and industrial ways and building large tract housing may not be the smartest idea unless ways to reroute flooding is included. Tame mother nature where we can and build sensibly. To many Progs have oceanfront properties and they are still building.

The situation is a bit different than when we were kids. There were not dangerous drugs all over the place back then, child abduction was limited to the very rare evil or mentally disturbed people instead of being organized crime, God was still welcome in the schools and other public places and those places were pretty much universally safe for all, those in authority shared the community values and were treated with respect. Kids weren't subjected to a lot of gratuitous profanity and violence or sexual content gratuitous or 'scientific' at school or in entertainment. They also didn't have 24/7 television, video games, phones replacing going outdoors to play cowboys and Indiana, cops and robbers, sandlot baseball, etc. Parents looked out for and parented all the kids who roamed the neighborhoods freely and without danger or fear.
Now if you try to discipline a child not your own, or sometimes even your own, you can wind up in court.

And not only are children not allowed to be at risk from a jungle gym or slides made slick with waxed bread wrapper or monkey bars or merry go rounds, but college kids are so fragile they need safe spaces so they won't see "Trump" chalked on a sidewalk. Black people are considered so vulnerable, incompetent, incapable, stupid that they can't be full citizens unless there is affirmative action, reparations, and people are prosecuted for being insensitive around them. LGBTQX+++ people or leftist women cannot be themselves unless everybody else uses whatever pronouns they demand or accommodate whatever behavior they choose to exhibit.

It's a wonder everybody isn't mentally ill.

7. The wussification of the American “alpha” males who can’t leave their home without their concealed carry binkies.

Let's go down your list:

1. Define "fun", because otherwise your post has no meaning. The only playground equipment we had as kids were swings, slides and teeter-totters. Only the Teeter-Totters are gone.

2. Good idea. Especially given all we've learned about the catstrophic lifelong consequences of concussions.

3. We can't allow our kids to play outside, unsupervised any more. Kids who play outside unsupervised become "child abuse victims" real fast.

4. Dumb comment. See #3 above.

5. Restraints save lives. Why does that bother you?

6. I don't think that the more than 1 million families who lost loved ones would consider the disease "no worse than the flu". Everyone I know who had it said it was much much worse than that

I'm sure people with kids would rather this kid is SAFE than having playgrounds that are "fun" until someone loses a leg or dies.

When I was a kid we had a park that was pretty much a flat piece of grass with tunnels (which were sometimes used by people escaping the police to hide out in) and kids used to ride their bikes off the top of it, I was too scared to do it, a sandpit with no sand in it, but some glass, monkey bars that I broke my wrist on, and probably some other stuff that didn't even work.

It wasn't great and it was dangerous.

Examples include:
1). Drive around a bit and you'll see Parks all over with Playground Equipment. Lawyers are at fault for removing the highly dangerous equipment.

2). Is this requirement infringing on your Constitutional Rights...LOLLOLLOOLLOLLOLLLL......No.......Why would ONE NOT wear a helmet. Hockey Goalies didn't have the safety equipment they wear today.......should goalies go back to the "Old Days" to protect their right to choose?

3). Well no shit, there are too many weirdos about these days. Would YOU let your child play outside, unsupervised? Only an idiot would say sure.

4). We have Bike Racks at school. Not like it was in the pre-2000's, but kids do still ride their bikes to school....and they put a lock on them too.

5). WTF IS A PASSIVE RESTRAINT?

6). Thanks Trump. Lockdowns occurred 100% under the trump term.

Forum List

Back