The VW Microbus to Live On!

fuck it... not the same split-windshield microbus I once knew and loved...

'n within which fucked countless numbers of eager li'l hippie chicks... :)

fuck it... not the same split-windshield microbus I once knew and loved...

'n within which fucked countless numbers of eager li'l hippie chicks... :)

^ Better than anything I could've said.

That's no microbus

this latest thing is sumpin' today's soccer moms might drive...

completely unaware that they themselves may well have been conceived in the back of a split-windshield VW microbus... :)

They were definitely "cool," but they also were an over-priced, underpowered, rust-prone, deathtrap, which is why they stopped selling them here. And with normal driving, the fuel economy wasn't anything to write home about either. The only good thing about them mechanically was that it was fairly easy to rebuild the motors, which unfortunately was required every 40 thousand miles or so.

By comparison, the original Chrysler mini-vans were majestic.

The fact is that in order to make them safe and in keeping with contemporary standards for mini-vans, they will cost a King's ransom.

What price nostalgia?

I'm not in the market for a new vehicle, but might go look at the pickem-up version.

Will it still have a crumple zone that consists of "The driver's knees"?

Okay, I can see that's not the case, since the engine is in the front in the new version.

I remember riding in my friend's old VW microbus, struggling to get up even mild hills on the highway. There's nothing like a 54 hp engine in a van.

I <3 the VW Bus!

We had an old beater of a bus when I was a kid...learned to drive with it.

I have an urge to find one and buy it.

They were definitely "cool," but they also were an over-priced, underpowered, rust-prone, deathtrap, which is why they stopped selling them here. And with normal driving, the fuel economy wasn't anything to write home about either. The only good thing about them mechanically was that it was fairly easy to rebuild the motors, which unfortunately was required every 40 thousand miles or so.

The fact is that in order to make them safe and in keeping with contemporary standards for mini-vans, they will cost a King's ransom.

What price nostalgia?

Yep, back in the day I had a '71 1/2 ton Chevy van, my apt. for two full semesters and a number of safaris during the six yours I owned her. We traveled to Mexico, Canada, and all around the USA, never once broke down or had an accident, though I did get stuck in the sand south of Pismo Beach. Lots of help from fellow surfers and beach combers got us free (a tow would have cost me a months salary back then).

Many a friend sucked a valve in those air cooled heaps. The only thing I would have liked was the pop top, but at my age back then I simply walked on my knees around the 'apt'.

What price nostalgia?

Yep, back in the day I had a '71 1/2 ton Chevy van, my apt. for two full semesters and a number of safaris during the six yours I owned her. We traveled to Mexico, Canada, and all around the USA, never once broke down or had an accident, though I did get stuck in the sand south of Pismo Beach. Lots of help from fellow surfers and beach combers got us free (a tow would have cost me a months salary back then).

Many a friend sucked a valve in those air cooled heaps. The only thing I would have liked was the pop top, but at my age back then I simply walked on my knees around the 'apt'.

I'm kind of thinking about getting a used minivan or maybe even a used full-sized van for the same reason. Just enough to throw a couple surfboards in, maybe put up a hammock or something to sleep in when I want to take the weekend off and go surfing or camping or something. Any advice you can give?

As I approach retirement, I have been casually looking in Craigslist (Pittsburgh) for used conversion vans, and the prices are incredibly cheap. Typically, they have fully-appointed leather interiors, great stereos, DVD entertainment systems, and back seats that fold down into a king-sized bed. It looks like one can get a low-mileage conversion van from around the 2000-2002 timeframe for less than ten grand.

I wouldn't want to live in one, but I could easily envision touring around the country, maybe sleeping in the van and stopping at KOA's for a month or six-week tour.

I saw a VW mini-van today on the street and wasn't sure whether or not it was this. In any case, it was small and didn't do anything for me. It would have to be far more than that for me to consider buying one. :eusa_whistle:

I used to own a 1987 Vanagon, it was a neat little minivan camper. The Porshe engine they had in there was underpowered and somewhat fragile in my opinion. You could cook in it and sleep in it. Conversion vans seem more appealing because of their stronger power train.

1.jpg

Forum List

Back