The Value of Free Speech

Well, what do you know. I have learned something today. Thanks, Daveman. I was not aware of those decisions. Much appreciated.

And....I apologize for calling TK a dummy for that comment.

Last edited:
If you say so Dave. You've never been wrong about anything.
I've never claimed that, although I appreciate the vote of confidence. :lol:

However, to claim that progressives defend freedom of speech is asinine. They do only when they agree with the speech.

Nope. We defend it all the time. It is a key part of what makes this country a great place to be lucky enough to be born in. You might want to have some real discussions with some progressives. You know....the kind where you listen as well as talk.

However, to claim that progressives defend freedom of speech is asinine. They do only when they agree with the speech.

Nope. We defend it all the time. It is a key part of what makes this country a great place to be lucky enough to be born in. You might want to have some real discussions with some progressives. You know....the kind where you listen as well as talk.

Not really, or do laws that require people to, say, be a photographer at a gay wedding when they dont want to, come from liberarians or conservatives?

Bingo, and that's it in a nutshell. True defenders of free speech stand for the speech they disagree with, and that sure as hell isn't what progressives are about, not at all.

You guys keep saying that. When are you going to prove it?

This nation values free speech.....it is codified. Any attempt to curtail this freedom must go through the courts. You have no evidence that progressives are making any attempt to curtil free speech.

You have some weird idea that people who want civil discourse ( not me, of course.....I don't give a fuck what assholes say).....are curtailing your right to free speech. Nonsense. They are trying to keep said speech civil. Period.

When these people use their right to free speech to complain about the things assholes say, you guys cry foul....predictably....like Pavlov's pup.

This nation values free speech.....it is codified. Any attempt to curtail this freedom must go through the courts. You have no evidence that progressives are making any attempt to curtil free speech.

You have some weird idea that people who want civil discourse ( not me, of course.....I don't give a fuck what assholes say).....are curtailing your right to free speech. Nonsense. They are trying to keep said speech civil. Period.

When these people use their right to free speech to complain about the things assholes say, you guys cry foul....predictably....like Pavlov's pup.

Which is still curtailing free speech, the recent cases of buinsesses being sued due to civil rights violations when it comes to gay weddings is case in point.

If you are an American, this is one of the most valuable rights afforded to you a citizen of the United States. Freedom of speech. It has been throughout history tested and tried, but it stood the test of time. People say, "My government infringes on my right to freedom of speech!" well, I would count my blessings if I were you. China does not value that right, and will without hesitation take it from you. It is getting to that point here, with the NSA watching what you do on the internet and who you call on the phone. Our freedom of speech is now in danger, in China it's gone. A chilling reminder of our future if we allow it to happen.

BEIJING—A forceful campaign of intimidation against China's most influential Internet users has cast a chill over public debate in the country and called into question the long-term viability of its most vibrant social-media platform.

In an offensive that some critics have likened to the political purges of the Mao era, Beijing has recently detained or interrogated several high-profile social-media figures, issued warnings to others to watch what they say and expanded criminal laws to make it easier to prosecute people for their online activity—all part of what one top propaganda official described on Tuesday as "the purification of the online environment."

China Intensifies Social-Media Crackdown - WSJ.com

I believe your concern has more to do with the Fourth Amendment than the First. Infringement on the First would involve stifling the content of speech rather than the indiscriminate surreptitious harvesting of it.

Nevertheless your point is well taken; the gravity is seriously alarming.

It’s more a chilling reminder of your ignorance of First Amendment jurisprudence and the shameful propensity by you and others on the right to engage in demagoguery.

Our freedom of speech is in no way ‘in danger,’ and to compare the United States with China concerning free expression rights is ignorant idiocy.

And this is a post reminding us all of how the left is willing to put up with almost anything as long as the name has a "D" after it.

Fucking bullshit. It is you 'Conservatives' that are opposed to free speech.

Which is still curtailing free speech, the recent cases of buinsesses being sued due to civil rights violations when it comes to gay weddings is case in point.

Seems to be a matter to be settled by the laws of the state where it occureed. Or do you have a problem with that?

Seems to be a matter to be settled by the laws of the state where it occureed. Or do you have a problem with that?

Yes I do, free speech is free speech. This is the GOVERNMENT curtailing the persons rights to have a given opinion without government interference.

Thank you for proving the OP's point.

It’s more a chilling reminder of your ignorance of First Amendment jurisprudence and the shameful propensity by you and others on the right to engage in demagoguery.

Our freedom of speech is in no way ‘in danger,’ and to compare the United States with China concerning free expression rights is ignorant idiocy.

And this is a post reminding us all of how the left is willing to put up with almost anything as long as the name has a "D" after it.

Fucking bullshit. It is you 'Conservatives' that are opposed to free speech.

Find me a conservative that wants the government to shut someone up for them.

Better yet, find me a libertarian leaning person who wants the government to shut someone up for them.

Our Freedom of Speech rights are not in danger from the government, thankfully, so we're not going to lose that right in the forseeable future.

Unfortunately, intimidation does clearly exist within what remains of our culture in the form of Political Correctness, which intimidates people into not saying what they're thinking because they don't want to lose their job and/or they don't want to be branded with certain labels. The threat of those labels is used to take the conversation off it tracks and control it.

On the bright side, however, PC has been overplayed and is beginning to lose its effectiveness. People are finally telling these people to take their phony indignation, fold it up, and file it. Excellent!

I want to know what people are thinking and who agrees with them. Unlike the PC Police, I'm not afraid to have people who disagree with me have their opinions heard. I'm not going to do anything to intimidate someone from speaking their mind, and the PC crowd can't say that, no matter how much they try to spin it.

political-correctness_puppet.jpg

There is no ‘PC police.’

Private citizens are at liberty to speak out against the words and actions of other private citizens found to be offensive or inappropriate, regardless how subjective or capricious the grounds for the objection might perceived to be. That those who engage in the offensive or inappropriate speech allow themselves to be intimidated or shut down by those objecting to their speech is the fault of those engaged in the offensive speech, not the citizens objecting.

This is the nature of a free and democratic society, what Justice Kennedy refers to as the constitution with a lower case ‘c,’ the discourse, debate, disagreement, and dissent of a free people to determine themselves what speech is or is not appropriate, absent interference by legislative measures or rulings by the courts.

It is to be celebrated and encouraged, not ridiculed as being ‘PC.’

Like chaplains in the military who are reprimanded for speaking their faith when it comes to faggots like you? Or how about the 5 year old in grade school who is arrested for making his finger into a gun? How bout the man on the street who is beaten or arrested by pigs for flipping them the bird or writing a protest in chalk on a sidewalk? I

Where'd everyone go? This was one of those great threads!

As long as you have the Ignore function, there's no reason to have moderators. This is an example of people claiming they believe in something, but unless someone in authority tells them what is permissible, they will fall back into their natural bent of submitting to censorship.

Forum List

Back