The US is falling behind China in technology

While the Right and Left are at each others throats with political quarreling and congress is sluggish on everything except trying to get reelected, the US is falling behind technologically.

Our interests in schooling seems to be centered on bickering about masks and vaccinations and dampened by too much bureaucracy and low teachers salaries. We should be doing what needs to be done to further US education.

China is vying to be the next top superpower and is on track of winning in a decade or so. What can we do?

Last year China produced 50% of the world’s computers and mobile phones; the U.S. produced only 6%. China produces 70 solar panels for each one produced in the U.S., sells four times the number of electric vehicles, and has nine times as many 5G base stations, with network speeds five times as fast as American equivalents.
China is poised to overtake the U.S. as the global leader in AI by 2030. U.S.-born students are earning roughly as many doctorates each year in AI-related fields as in 1990, while China is on track to graduate twice as many science, technology engineering and mathematics Ph.D.s as the U.S. by 2025. China now clearly tops the U.S. in practical AI applications, including facial recognition, voice recognition and fintech

China has been stealing and buying US tech since the Clinton Administration

Trump was the ONLY President to ever stand up to them

What will be if the same sex marriage right is reversed? I don't know.
Why? You don't have to guess. The last serious legal challenge to the "ban on bans" was only 6 years ago. We aren't just pulling ideas out of a hat, here. The opponents have made it clear what they want: States' rights to ban same sex marriage.

Well, that's where you lose me. The for-profit media has no interest in that. They reflect the people by throwing up material they think people will click on or watch.

Funny how everyone comments about the media influencing everyone, but nobody will admit they are influenced by "the media". It's always those other people over there...

People seek out media for self affirmation, true. But those ideas already exist in their minds. The opinion-based media just profits off of catering to those ideas.

The people who happily vote against their own economic self interests and those of their children in favor of voting on abortion or wokeism aren't created by the media.

In the same way, Marvel universe movies didn't create all the marvel fans. Some? Sure. But they make those movies because there already exists a market of people who will spend money on them.

Same for OANN.
Right. I didn't mean the media makes decisions on what subjects to train people. It's more that the media is a medium for bias conformation.

You can stop right there. This isn't about changes.

It's about people wanting the government to control and make decisions for people's lives. Forever. Codified into law.
Yes, it is exactly about changes. Some people miss the old good days, when they were young, the sun was brighter and the grass was greener, and the 'perverts' weren't allowed to show in public.

Or try this: make basic logic part of school curriculum, starting in about 4th grade. Not a cure-all, but an important step.
I don't have kids so I don't know what is going on in the class room. I would hope that the abstraction of logic could be put in a palatable form for distracted minds.

Why? You don't have to guess. The last serious legal challenge to the "ban on bans" was only 6 years ago. We aren't just pulling ideas out of a hat, here. The opponents have made it clear what they want: States' rights to ban same sex marriage.
Let's wait and see. The time will show. My feelings is that the same sex relations are gradually loosing its actuality. What is more and more getting the spotlight is transgender people and their rights.

I elaborated in the last two paragraphs of the OP.
I don't believe one word coming out of China because we have been screaming pointlessly for at least 2 decades how they are more advanced than US students and they havew demonstrated zero.
The big reason our media permeates that message is to replace US citizens in the work place.

I don't believe one word coming out of China because we have been screaming pointlessly for at least 2 decades how they are more advanced than US students and they havew demonstrated zero.
The big reason our media permeates that message is to replace US citizens in the work place.
I have no idea if that came from China or if it was US intelligence.

I have no idea if that came from China or if it was US intelligence.
It came from the people on Wall Street who fund universities.
You know the bullshit...Asians are smarter than White people bullshit.
Which is why they want to go to US universities and be taught by White Professors!

I don't have kids so I don't know what is going on in the class room. I would hope that the abstraction of logic could be put in a palatable form for distracted minds.
Start with truth tables. 9 year Olds can easily handle them. They can probably learn them better than adults.

Are you an idiot.

You all thought teump was God and he was a complete buffoon. He was handed a surging economy from Obama then you said he improved it. You quoted stock markets etc when trump was there. What has happened since bidrns been there.

The fact is China played America for the fool because if the dickhead you installed. They couldn't believe there luck. Now you're just a rabble of gun toting Rambos threatening to kill flies.
Give me a break.
Not a God moron...but a hell of a lot better than Biden....China has Joe by the balls....enjoy being number two under the CCP...

When a political entity (once called a "country") devotes 95% of its education expenditures to indoctrination it should surprise no-one that progress grinds to a halt.
I imagine what you know about curriculum at any level of education would not fill a shot glass.

Not a God moron...but a hell of a lot better than Biden....China has Joe by the balls....enjoy being number two under the CCP...

Ok smart arse. You tell me exactly how China is having political influence in the WH and in Congress.
I know you can't. Its you're big hate filled mouth on the loose again. You're just another liar.

Last year China produced 50% of the world’s computers and mobile phones; the U.S. produced only 6%. China produces 70 solar panels for each one produced in the U.S., sells four times the number of electric vehicles, and has nine times as many 5G base stations, with network speeds five times as fast as American equivalents.

False connection.

What one has to ask is "What country developed those technologies built?"

In other words, were those technologies made in China, or the US?

Well, there you actually have a rather sharp answer. China is a leader in production, but when it comes to actual engineering and design it is way far behind. In fact, their most successful "productions" are primarily US and Japanese created electronics;. They just copy them as they were designed by others.

Want proof of that? Show me a Chinese designed computer CPU ship. A Chinese designed smart phone. A Chinese designed game console. Computer? Camera? TV? I can just go on and on and on, but I think I have made my point.

China is basically the Xerox machine of the world. They churn out copy after copy after copy. But here is the thing, they make almost nothing that anybody outside of China wants that is original.

And yes, looking at a lot of the numbers they are amazing. China sells four times the number of electric vehicles!

Wow, really? But then you really need to ask yourself, what are these electric vehicles?

wuling---hong-guang-mini-ev.jpg

This $5,000 electric is the top selling car in China. It is not exported, it is for domestic use only, and can go around 110 miles on a charge. In fact, when looking through the Chinese electric cars, it is damned near impossible to find one for export. Primarily because of things like "auto safety standards", such pesky regulations that some countries use to keep out competition.

As far as "network speeds", anybody that is actually involved in IT can explain that very easily. As the US was an "early adapter" (if not the originator), they have decades worth of legacy hardware already in place. Where as China and most other "developing nations" leapfrogged all of that initial technology and purchased the mature ones at the highest capabilities.

Having been in computer networking for decades, I have seen this first hand. Originally working with "thicknet" coax cable, as well as 15 pin AUI and RG-58 coax cable long before "Twisted Pair Ethernet" was really a thing. Then jumping into that early on, with Cat-3 cable.

The infrastructure in the US is literally built upon decades of earlier standards. Where as China and other countries could make the leap straight to 100-base-T or Gigabit, without all of the steps and cost of what came before it.

And yes, sometimes companies are really-really outdated. Back in 2000, I did a project a the US Honda headquarters in Torrance. And was surprised to see their entire network was literally an ARCNET hardware system that stull used coax to push a Token Ring topology. And I was one of the few techs at that job that had even worked with that technology before, as it was already largely antiquated by the early 1990's. But somewhere the bean counters had made the decision that continuing to use that was more effective than replacing all the hardware and cabling with Cat-5.

So China has networks 5 times faster than the US. They are welcome, as it was largely US companies like IBM, 3Com, Cisco, and the like that made all of that possible for them to jump straight to Gigabit without having to invest in the older slower standards.

Forum List

Back