The US could Save $5.6B a year if it Switched from Coal to Solar – study

I just threw that in there gratuitously. I wouldn't say it follows directly, but it's a common enough topic in such discussions.
IIRC, NASA was initially interested because neighbors had actually complained of excess heat drifting over from some solar farms. Unsurprisingly, the panels being dark do get hot. E.g., a black roof tends to get hot while a whitish one remains cool.

Don't tell ding.
He'll explain that hot solar panels will trigger a new glacial cycle.

Just a quick update ... the original solar panels the hippies were using were designed to produce heat ... hot water specifically ... and not electricity ...

Just a historical footnote ...

Just a quick update ... the original solar panels the hippies were using were designed to produce heat ... hot water specifically ... and not electricity ...

Just a historical footnote ...
I'm sure any fossilized hippies who may have survived will be pleased to learn that solar hot water heaters are still being designed and that the technology has advanced tremendously since they were just hippies.

I'm sure any fossilized hippies who may have survived will be pleased to learn that solar hot water heaters are still being designed and that the technology has advanced tremendously since they were just hippies.

Hippies also has solar-power clothes dryers ... peanut butter and jelly sandwich powered bicycles ... acid powered imaginations ...

How has the technology of putting a pan of water out in the sun been advancing? ... hippies were all about passive designs, blending in with nature rather than trying to control nature ... bees are easy to keep and produce candle wax ... instead of mining, refining, manufacturing, shipping, stocking, inventorying and all else to putting in an electric light ...

The sad truth is we aren't using renewables to replace fossil fuels ... we're just using more energy ... conservation is the opposite of technology ...

Hippies also has solar-power clothes dryers ... peanut butter and jelly sandwich powered bicycles ... acid powered imaginations ...

How has the technology of putting a pan of water out in the sun been advancing? ... hippies were all about passive designs, blending in with nature rather than trying to control nature ... bees are easy to keep and produce candle wax ... instead of mining, refining, manufacturing, shipping, stocking, inventorying and all else to putting in an electric light ...

The sad truth is we aren't using renewables to replace fossil fuels ... we're just using more energy ... conservation is the opposite of technology ...
As Al Gore would say, "Oh, I agreeEEE."

However, "Duda Solar 180 Liter Standard Passive Water Heater"
Like it or not, the "standard" is now evacuated tubes.

Last edited:
Man loves nature so much he built civilization to protect himself from it.
Civilization concentrates power, extending human control over the rest of nature, including over other human beings.[13]

Civilization, as its etymology (see below) suggests, is a concept originally associated with towns and cities. The earliest emergence of civilizations is generally connected with the final stages of the Neolithic Revolution in West Asia, culminating in the relatively rapid process of urban revolution and state-formation, a political development associated with the appearance of a governing elite.
Same as organized religion.

Man loves nature so much he built civilization to protect himself from it.

You must not know any hippies if you think they're men ... well, what a Texan would consider men ... do you wear a kotex pad en miserationem when your wife is seeing her flowers? ... didn't think so ...

in temecula california we had a solar water heater installed by pg&e

it worked great in the summer, in the fall, winter, and spring, we never ever had hot water, not a drop, it sucked

Forum List

Back