"The United States of America is in need of a strong third political party"

That was Bernie Sanders in 1988, but it's still true today.
Sadly not much has changed in that respect.

Presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders speaks with C-SPAN in 1988 while mayor of Burlington, Vermont. The interview reveals more of Sanders' man-of-the people worldview and political positions, and how little those positions have changed over his 30+ year political career.

What America "needs" is a public who understands voting alone will never be enough.

The problem with most Americans is they only want a third party system for president. They don't do anything in between those 4 years to help create a third party. They mostly don't care about electing local or state politicians from third parties to help them be more viable on the national stage. They do absolutely nothing about creating a voting system that would be beneficial for third parties and negate some of the negatives about having a third party such as the party with the minority point of view would now have a better chance of winning since the other two parties which may be more popular would split the vote.

I've been working on that ACTIVELY for 25 years.. Even had joint activities between the Libertarians and Green Party out in Cali about mutual problems with debate and ballot access..

It's DANG HARD to run a Pres candidate as a 3rd party.. Once you use up all your time, money and energy GETTING on the ballots in 50 states because of AWFUL restrictions on ballot access, you have nothing left for the ACTUAL election... And no chance of debate access..

Running as an INDEPENDENT in contrast is simple, cheap and easy in most states.. Which is why I've changed my tune about parties in general... In FACT, for House and Senate, most 3rd parties RUN candidates as Independents...

That's cool. I actually don't think a third party should really worry about running a candidate for president until they are more established or if only public funds were used in presidential elections. Of course that is going to bring up some challenges in deciding who should receive public funding between serious candidates and the ones that more or less as or are a joke. Anyway, I think they should gain traction first locally and work their way up rather than the other way around.

I agree, a third party candidate is nothing the power structure cannot manage in a "corporations-are-people-to-my-friend" pay-to-play environment. Look at both Don and Bloomie; celebrity aristocrat party flip-floppers. Everyone knows private money runs America, and we just accept it.

Country is better off WITHOUT Jill Stein as President.. But as far as EVERYONE'S SECURITY and CIVIL LIBERTIES -- you couldn't do better than Snowden...

A lot of folks who have served in Nat Intel capabilities understand this.. YOU and the country have allowed the Worlds Most Awesome Spy agency to run DOMESTIC SURVEILLANCE AGAIN... This is after we all OUTLAWED THAT in the 60s and 70s for abuse...

And SINCE Snowden blew that whistle on DOMESTIC SPYING, it's been awfully and criminally abused.. THAT is what he was warning about.. And it HAPPENED...

He was entirely right. And the next time it's abused like that, it maybe won't be for political purposes, but for ECONOMIC advantage to some of the Swamp Creatures....
Check out what Russ Tice says about who was being spied on ....say what you want about RT,
they let their journalists do what they want, unlike our corporate-controlled media. ( Fox being somewhat of an exception recently.) This guy seems very honest, kind of reminds me of Chris Christie though.

Fascinating interview.... gives you a peek into some possible reasons Obama was elected in 2008.

But if you're deep state, apparently you not only get away with lying under oath and breaking NDA's, you get to go on a national book tour and be on the Late Shows as some kind of hero.

We all now know that Bill Clinton, Don Trump, Allan Dershowitz and Bonnie Prince Andrew were all up in the patronage of Jeffrey Epstein's and Ghislaine Maxwell's (who is still footloose, fancy free and at large by the way) child sex trafficking operation. For decades.

And we do nothing, accommodating it all with our silence, complicity and acquiescence. We don't even have the courage to pull back the curtain on our aristocracy to expose everyone else. NO free people ever allowed a ruling aristocracy to ravage their children.

People who want a third party president will never have someone more viable to support than Donald Trump.

Neither establishment is all-in for him.

I agree he's damn independent.. THat's a GOOD thing.. But few people can really pull that off as a Congress person or state legislature with the party riding them so hard...

But, he bought a party instead running AS an Independent.. And for Prez -- right now with the rules the way they are --- you NEED a party to get elected.. NOT SO for Congress or State legislature..

Americans have to stop voting for "winners" because the parties LEFT TO THEIR OWN POWER -- will give the public poorer and poorer choices... I'm sure I don't have to link that evidence... :rolleyes:

Country is better off WITHOUT Jill Stein as President.. But as far as EVERYONE'S SECURITY and CIVIL LIBERTIES -- you couldn't do better than Snowden...

A lot of folks who have served in Nat Intel capabilities understand this.. YOU and the country have allowed the Worlds Most Awesome Spy agency to run DOMESTIC SURVEILLANCE AGAIN... This is after we all OUTLAWED THAT in the 60s and 70s for abuse...

And SINCE Snowden blew that whistle on DOMESTIC SPYING, it's been awfully and criminally abused.. THAT is what he was warning about.. And it HAPPENED...

He was entirely right. And the next time it's abused like that, it maybe won't be for political purposes, but for ECONOMIC advantage to some of the Swamp Creatures....
Check out what Russ Tice says about who was being spied on ....say what you want about RT,
they let their journalists do what they want, unlike our corporate-controlled media. ( Fox being somewhat of an exception recently.) This guy seems very honest, kind of reminds me of Chris Christie though.

Fascinating interview.... gives you a peek into some possible reasons Obama was elected in 2008.

I think we've all seen the power structure go after Assange - who has never had to retract anything for inaccuracy by the way - for revealing US war crimes and footage of the US military murdering 2 Reuters journalists/staff.

The problem with third parties is they run from the fringes. Far right or far left. They end up drawing votes from their own side and ensuring the other side wins.

A viable third party needs to draw from the middle of both sides. Choose a centrist agenda. Fiscal responsibility, end US global police enforcement, hands off abortion and gun control, sensible healthcare, infrastructure.

THere's nothing fringy about the Libertarian party of late.. We've been right on almost EVERY issue AHEAD of public opinion by about 2 decades.. And we're pro-choice on EVERYTHING, not just "fringe issues" and there's really no fringes about that.

The problem with third parties is they run from the fringes. Far right or far left. They end up drawing votes from their own side and ensuring the other side wins.

A viable third party needs to draw from the middle of both sides. Choose a centrist agenda. Fiscal responsibility, end US global police enforcement, hands off abortion and gun control, sensible healthcare, infrastructure.

THere's nothing fringy about the Libertarian party of late.. We've been right on almost EVERY issue AHEAD of public opinion by about 2 decades.. And we're pro-choice on EVERYTHING, not just "fringe issues" and there's really no fringes about that.
Conservatives who care only about themselves.
Libertarians draw votes from Republicans and help Democrats win

Nothing fringie but their numbers?

Not to worry, the donor class always has it covered "either" way.

Not to worry, the donor class always has it covered "either" way.
You eat your own

So you're saying Libertarians basically pinch
their noses and vote Republican 90 % of the time ?

This is why a third party could include Libertarian, Green, Reform, Labor ( private Unions) and others ( moderate Democrats and Republicans fed up with the bureaucracy and bribery)-- and just get together in Aspen for 2 weeks and make some compromises, decide on a name....Independent would be good. It's already out there, just undefined.

So you're saying Libertarians basically pinch
their noses and vote Republican 90 % of the time ?

This is why a third party could include Libertarian, Green, Reform, Labor ( private Unions) and others ( moderate Democrats and Republicans fed up with the bureaucracy and bribery)-- and just get together in Aspen for 2 weeks and make some compromises, decide on a name....Independent would be good. It's already out there, just undefined.
Libertarian, Green, Reform and Labor have conflicting political views

There is no middle ground.

Libertarian, Green, Reform and Labor have conflicting political views

There is no middle ground.
There's a lot of common ground.
Legalizing weed
Opposing dumb wars
getting money out of politics
shrinking the cost of federal government
fair taxes
bringing back manufacturing
reasonable healthcare reform
stopping the illegal surveillance
Upholding The Constitution
getting the homeless off the streets
(it's bad for tourism)

Last edited:
OP Title: "The United States of America is in need of a strong third political party"
The last time that happened we ended up with the Clinton Cabal for 8 years. :cranky:
Yep.
Clinton and Bush after him were both my fault
for voting for Ross Perot in 1992 and Ralph Nader in 2000.

OP Title: "The United States of America is in need of a strong third political party"
The last time that happened we ended up with the Clinton Cabal for 8 years. :cranky:
Yep.
Clinton and Bush after him were both my fault
for voting for Ross Perot in 1992 and Ralph Nader in 2000.

Nah, it wasn't. I did the same thing. Our states' electors were all going red no matter what we did, so we got to lodge a protest vote against the rigged system, and got nothing to show for it. I dunno about you but I found that unsatisfying.

America needs an elimination of the duopoly. It may not need any political parties at all, or perhaps a-political regional groups to represent interests and capacities.

I don't understand? Even a minor influx of people into one of the existing party's will change it more to your liking.

Doubt me?

Look at what happened to the DNC when they got AOC, Tahlib, and the squad. It shifted the DNC significantly. What this is called in business is----->a hostile takeover, and it happens all the time!

Remember--------->if you actually believe what you are saying and are willing to work for it, that...……..YOU are the people YOU have been waiting for! Nobody is going to do it for you while you sit back and watch, you have to do it yourselves!

And understand the upside-------------> a 3 rd party would find the original 2 standing against them, as the one thing neither party wants, is to have their power watered down.

Gain partial control of an existing party, and you have lowered resistance to you gaining significant power by a factor of 50%!

OK that has zero relevance to my post at all. And I don't do parties anyway.

Forum List

Back