The Ugly Guns That Could

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Occasionally people ask for recommendations on which gun they should buy and honestly it depends on multiple factors. One major factor is cost and reliability, too many people think reliable guns have to be expensive. Not true which leads me to the ugly guns that could.
Hi-Point pistols and carbines, made in America, inexpensive, probably some of the uglest guns on the market. But they will fire any brand of ammo they're fed, fill them up with mud and they still shoot, they're accurate and they have a lifetime warranty. They're relatively heavy and rattle when ya shake em and did I mention they are ugly.........
Both pistols & carbines come in .380, 9mm, 10mm, 40 S&W and .45 ACP., the pistols typically go for under $200 and the carbines for around $300, ya can't get much better than that price wise.

iu

iu

Granted field stripping and cleaning them involves more than the average firearm but I've read where people have put thousands of rounds through them and never cleaned them and they just keep firing.

Occasionally people ask for recommendations on which gun they should buy and honestly it depends on multiple factors. One major factor is cost and reliability, too many people think reliable guns have to be expensive. Not true which leads me to the ugly guns that could.
Hi-Point pistols and carbines, made in America, inexpensive, probably some of the uglest guns on the market. But they will fire any brand of ammo they're fed, fill them up with mud and they still shoot, they're accurate and they have a lifetime warranty. They're relatively heavy and rattle when ya shake em and did I mention they are ugly.........
Both pistols & carbines come in .380, 9mm, 10mm, 40 S&W and .45 ACP., the pistols typically go for under $200 and the carbines for around $300, ya can't get much better than that price wise.

iu

iu

Granted field stripping and cleaning them involves more than the average firearm but I've read where people have put thousands of rounds through them and never cleaned them and they just keep firing.
That pistol is not ugly, but yes, that carbine is.

That pistol is not ugly, but yes, that carbine is.
Damn thing looks like it has a Frankenstein head on it and I own one. Matt on Demolition Ranch (You Tube) has tried to destroy them and so far the Hi-Points win every time. One thing I forgot to mention it has one of the most horrendous triggers made, MCarbo makes a lighter trigger spring for it.

Damn thing looks like it has a Frankenstein head on it and I own one. Matt on Demolition Ranch (You Tube) has tried to destroy them and so far the Hi-Points win every time. One thing I forgot to mention it has one of the most horrendous triggers made, MCarbo makes a lighter trigger spring for it.
If ugly, harder to break down and clean, and rattles (I hate a gun that rattles) when you shake it, why did you buy it?

My father-in-law bought the carbine in .45, once at a dealer in Florida. The guy at the gun shop told him that when he got ready to take it down for a thorough cleaning it'd be best if he brought it in. He said that IF he decided to try it on his own, be sure and keep all the parts he removed, together in a box so he could bring them in when he came back to get it reassembled. He said all this without a smile.

iu

iu

They do make ugly guns. But dependeable, so I have heard.

I was at my LGS this past Dec. and they had a older 1st gen H-P 995 Carbine dressed-up in a ATI Beretta Storm type stock. They offered it up for $150.00 and I took it home.....I already have a couple higher-end 9mm PCCs, but I just wanted it. It had some kind of a no-name reflex sight on it but I replaced it with a SKS scope.

hp 002 (2).JPG

I had one back when they first came out in the 90s and it was amazing how well it shot, squishy trigger and all and this one shoots just as well.

Sadly my Niece needed a weapon for HD due to a abusive ex-husband so I gave the first one to her to fend him off if need be....It too wore a SKS scope. She still owns/shoots it and never needed to adjust the scope.....Oh, she never had to shoot the ex with it either. ;)

Forum List

Back