The True Cost of Liberal Policies On Recreational Drugs & Addiction

Silhouette

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2013
So take CA as an example. They decriminalized pot and now are an official cartel state, producing more pot than the state consumes. So they're exporting illegally.

Then CA has decriminalized meth and heroin use, and other narcotics. You can be arrested over and over and over in CA for possession/use of heroin and nothing happens to you. Using the same justification of "medical uses and popularity", look for CA to begin softening laws on distributing heroin as well. After all, think of the profits CA could make off of other states where it's illegal?

Everyone is familiar with the costs of heroin addiction in terms of overdose. Everyone knows someone who has lost a dear family member from heroin overdose. That never used to be the case. Now it is. Welcome to post-liberaltopia 2018.

But what most people don't sit down and pencil out is actual costs $$ to hardworking citizens and insurance companies from heroin addiction's #1 spinoff: indigence. Heroin addicts are unemployable. They just are. So they quickly become indigent and homeless. But while they are homeless, their addiction rages on. I've been doing an informal survey of some addicts I know. Each one has on average, about $100/day habit. That's $3,000/month and $36,000/year. Many addicts use much more dope than this per day so this is a relatively conservative estimate.

Each one.

Think about that for a minute. Crime rates in my area have escalated to the point of ridiculousness. People can't leave their homes. Bands of coordinated roving addicts patrol and case streets for signs of temporary lulls in occupancy (such as running to the store, God forbid a vacation). used to be your random heroin addict wasn't your next door neighbor. Now bunches of them live right near you so they case your daily habits and know when you go out & return. Because they share the same loserdom, they band together frequently and form "drug families" that support each others' using and stealing and fencing to get money to use more. These addicts are making us prisoners in our own homes. These "families" coordinate. They really do. And the situation is reaching a tipping point.

As they steal and steal and steal to not become dope sick, insurance claims skyrocket. At some point something has to give.

Each year the average heroin user costs society roughly the same as the US median income
But how much does the heroin epidemic cost the United States? A lot. Researchers seeking to put a number on it have come up with a new figure: more than $51 billion. That’s a vast sum, equivalent to the gross domestic product of countries like Lebanon and Croatia.
^^ I'd say that's a very conservative estimate. I estimated in my small area that just our region the hidden (theft/insurance claims) costs are $30 million. That doesn't even include the healthcare we have to provide these addicts, the food stamp cards, spread of diseases like HIV and Hep C that come with shooting up, other welfare programs, removal of child custody, foster care, temporary housing...all while they have zero intentions or indeed ability to get off the drugs....and all while certain states have zero disincentives for them to not start in the first place, or to get clean once they have.

Interesting and fun fact though. While doing my informal survey I did notice that whenever the topic of cops or real actual jail time came up, the addicts became unanimously nervous. Probably not from the stigma of jail, but because their internal addict-demon knows that if they are incarcerated, the using comes to a full-stop immediately. That's a situation they fear more than anything. Huge disincentive.

Minimum security work prisons with drug dogs making regular rounds of the cells? Just a thought. Would be cheaper than each and every single heroin addict stealing $36,000 worth of stuff from others, forcing them to become in despair, indigent and likely to turn to drugs....

Discuss.

Last edited:
Now here's an estimate that looks a little more realistic:

Substance abuse costs our Nation over $600 billion annually Is drug addiction treatment worth its cost?

Though they advocate for treatment instead of incarceration. I think there needs to be a compromise. Incarceration is what addicts fear more than anything (disincentive). They don't fear treatment because they know that it's soft, not policed well, easy to relapse and keep using: which is addiction's #1 goal. Duh.

But if they were placed in a special type of minimum security work prison, where taxpayers could at least recoup some of the expense (which would still be vastly less than roving active addicts on an escalation rise in the US costing us $600 billion a year), it would be a net gain for us and them. Drug dogs could be part of the regular staff with regular checks like a warden making the rounds. Daily one-on-one counseling would create jobs for counselors. Daily 12-step and other support groups teaching these people new coping skills for stress; which is why all addicts start using.

And also new laws when addicts are released from doing time. These laws address anyone approaching a treated-addict with substance in their system or on them as 'intent to influence relapse'. This breaks up old drug families and causes recovering addicts to seek out sober company since it's the only company that won't fear incarceration if they come around. This would insure the investment was more sound and relapse less. The #1 cause of relapse is old drug contacts reconnecting.

So take CA as an example. They decriminalized pot and now are an official cartel state, producing more pot than the state consumes. So they're exporting illegally...

Discuss.

California is not an 'official cartel' state- you are just lying.

California has produced more pot than the state consumes for decades.

And technically- nothing is exported from one state to another.

Other than that- continue on with your crazy tirades.

So what do you call a state that belongs to a Union that follows federal laws; while at the same time that state defies federal law in order to sell a federally-banned controlled substance at a profit?

The drug war is officially lost. Americans want their fix. Legalize, regulate, tax and create jobs and wealth. I do agree they are bad. But when something is lost its lost.

The drug war is officially lost. Americans want their fix. Legalize, regulate, tax and create jobs and wealth. I do agree they are bad. But when something is lost its lost.
So heroin is legal now? OK. Probably a very very bad idea.

Heroin useage is not going down at least in my state in fact it's gaining traction. Suppliers are reaching out to even small rural areas. How do we stop it other than educating people against its bad effects? I suppose we could hire another 50 thousand federal agents then again someone would complain about they have to be paid and cry like snowflakes about the govt getting bigger etc.

Heroin useage is not going down at least in my state in fact it's gaining traction. Suppliers are reaching out to even small rural areas. How do we stop it other than educating people against its bad effects? I suppose we could hire another 50 thousand federal agents then again someone would complain about they have to be paid and cry like snowflakes about the govt getting bigger etc.
True, those Latin cartels are hard to stop once they instigate a black market in the US. But they only did so in response to their long established hold on the pot market being diluted to zero by rogue US states defying federal law. Those states destroyed their market so they turned to a much more addictive and profitable substitute. They're just being good businessmen.

So you're right, very difficult to stop heroin abuse.

How can you reconcile the left's effort to outlaw cigarette smoking while the hypocrites are trying to legalize marijuana use? Is the crazy radical left trying to take the ludicrous stance that smoking the noxious weed is actually healthy for you? That's what they said of tobacco a hundred years ago.

How can you reconcile the left's effort to outlaw cigarette smoking while the hypocrites are trying to legalize marijuana use? Is the crazy radical left trying to take the ludicrous stance that smoking the noxious weed is actually healthy for you? That's what they said of tobacco a hundred years ago.
Listen, they know what's good for you and you'd better shut up or you'll be fined....or jailed.

So what do you call a state that belongs to a Union that follows federal laws; while at the same time that state defies federal law in order to sell a federally-banned controlled substance at a profit?

California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Massachusetts, Nevada, Alaska and Vermont.

The states taking money away from the cartels.

Who is trying to outlaw cigarette smoking?

My stance is pretty simple- treat pot like alcohol and cigarettes - and treat adults like adults.

True, those Latin cartels are hard to stop once they instigate a black market in the US. But they only did so in response to their long established hold on the pot market being diluted to zero by rogue US states defying federal law. Those states destroyed their market so they turned to a much more addictive and profitable substitute. They're just being good businessmen.

So you're right, very difficult to stop heroin abuse.

Cartels were peddling heroin long before states legalized marijuana.

And the Cartels are not the ones getting Americans hooked on opioids- our medical system is doing that.

So heroin is legal now? OK. Probably a very very bad idea.

No heroin is not legal now.

How we are combating heroin addiction and overdoses is failing though.

Portugal provides a good model of how a country can address the issue.

It works = which apparently means we will never do it here.

California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Massachusetts, Nevada, Alaska and Vermont.

The states defying federal law in competition with other cartels. Because that is exactly what the situation is.

The states defying federal law in competition with other cartels. Because that is exactly what the situation is.
So you mean states of the United States who by utilizying their sovereignty are denying money to foreign organized crime?

I can see why that bothers you so much.

Forum List

Back