The three leading candidates, Clinton, Sanders, and Trump, are for universal health care

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Conservative columnist Trump once backed single-payer health care PunditFact

The billionaire’s 2000 book The America We Deserve makes a strong pitch for universal health care.

"I’m a conservative on most issues but a liberal on this one," Trump wrote. "We should not hear so many stories of families ruined by health care expenses. We must not allow citizens with medical problems to go untreated because of financial problems or red tape."

When he turned to how the country might achieve universal coverage, Trump focused like a laser beam on a Canadian-style, single-payer plan. He said it would eliminate many billions of dollars of overhead.

"The Canadian plan also helps Canadians live longer and healthier than America," he wrote. "We need, as a nation, to reexamine the single-payer plan, as many individual states are doing."

A very interesting development in this political cycle. Wonder how this will play out after 2017?

My opinion, administration cost are not driving the high cost of US medical care. It is something like 5 percent, if that, so even if it is eliminated the cost is not going to drop much. 10 dollars for a 25 cent bandage in the ER is what is driving prices out the roof. Buy drugs in Canada and the US and see the price difference, why?

So I would be very happy to hear how single payer will reduce costs.

Well, you might well investigate how France, Canada, Japan, and Germany manage to have lower cost per citizen, and at the same time, a better rate of infant survival and high longevity than we do.

Well, you might well investigate how France, Canada, Japan, and Germany manage to have lower cost per citizen, and at the same time, a better rate of infant survival and high longevity than we do.

According to this CBS article the Infant mortality rate has little to do with medicine per se.

To truly understand why more babies are likely to die in the America, it's necessary to zero in on their socioeconomic status, the researchers say. And here they find something remarkable: U.S. infants actually have a lower mortality rate, and appear healthier by some measures, in the first month of their lives than infants in Austria or Finland. But that advantage disappears as babies get older. For infants older than one month, U.S. infant mortality is much higher than in Europe.

What accounts for that change? "This postneonatal mortality disadvantage is driven almost exclusively by excess inequality in the U.S." Chen, Oster and Williams write.

What s behind the high rate of infant deaths in the U.S. - CBS News

I would also add that the death rate of unborn babies in America is quite high. 50 million or so since RvsW.

The following are not my words but from the linked article. I think everyone who believes our health care sucks should breath a sigh of relief.

From the article:

It’s one of the most oft-repeated justifications for socialized medicine: Americans spend more money than other developed countries on health care, but don’t live as long. If we would just hop on the European health-care bandwagon, we’d live longer and healthier lives. The only problem is it’s not true.

......If you really want to measure health outcomes, the best way to do it is at the point of medical intervention. If you have a heart attack, how long do you live in the U.S. vs. another country? If you’re diagnosed with breast cancer? In 2008, a group of investigators conducted a worldwide study of cancer survival rates, called CONCORD. They looked at 5-year survival rates for breast cancer, colon and rectal cancer, and prostate cancer. I compiled their data for the U.S., Canada, Australia, Japan, and western Europe. Guess who came out number one?

CONCORD-table12.jpg

National-Life-Expectancy12.png

The Myth of Americans Poor Life Expectancy

Forum List

Back