The Republicans Long Con Job

skews13

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2017
It started in 1986, when Ronald Reagan decided to stop enforcing the laws against wealthy white employers hiring undocumented people.

It wasn’t that Reagan had suddenly discovered he liked nonwhite people. He’d opposed both the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965. In 1966, running for California governor, he supported a ballot initiative to end “Fair Housing” laws in the state, saying:

“If an individual wants to discriminate against Negroes or others in selling or renting his house, it is his right to do so.”
Similarly, when running for president in 1980, Reagan’s biographer Lou Cannon notes on page 520 of his book that Reagan called the 1965 Voting Rights Act “a humiliation of the South.”

But by 1986 President Reagan was deep into a campaign to de-fund the Democratic Party, and the Democrats’ main donor was organized labor. What better way to crush unions than to replace their members with non-union workers who were legally invisible?

For example, prior to the Reagan administration two of the most heavily unionized industries in America were construction and meatpacking. These were tough jobs, but in both cases provided people who just had a high school education with a solid entry card into the American Dream.

They were well-paid jobs that allowed construction and meatpacking workers to buy a home, take vacations, raise their kids and live a good, middle-class life with a pension for retirement. The meat packers in Wisconsin were doing so well that they sponsored what became the only non-billionaire-owned NFL football team — the Green Bay Packers — from day one.

Reagan and his Republican allies — with unionized companies across the country making healthy “donations” legalized by the 1978 Bellotti Supreme Court decision — wrote the 1986 Immigration Reform Act in a way that made it harder to prosecute employers who invited undocumented workers into their workplaces.

They abandoned systems like I had to engage so I could work in Germany and Australia in 1986/87 and the early 2000s, or like Canada and other developed countries have had in place for decades.

Instead, under Reagan’s new law, employers could easily avoid sanctions by simply having undocumented immigrants give them paperwork (often supplied by the employers themselves) that met the new requirement that it “reasonably appears on its face to be genuine.”

Further reducing the “burden” on employers, an amendment to the law under the guise of preventing discrimination “penalized employers for conducting overly aggressive scrutiny of workers’ legal status on the basis of their nationality or national origin.”

The law also held companies harmless if they simply fired all their unionized American workers and replaced them with undocumented immigrants who were employed by a subcontractor.

This led to an explosion of fly-by-night and immigration-law-skirting subcontractors providing cheap undocumented labor for everything from construction to fieldwork to cleaning factories (like the most recent charge of child labor violations in Nebraska).

It started in 1986, when Ronald Reagan decided to stop enforcing the laws against wealthy white employers hiring undocumented people.

It wasn’t that Reagan had suddenly discovered he liked nonwhite people. He’d opposed both the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965. In 1966, running for California governor, he supported a ballot initiative to end “Fair Housing” laws in the state, saying:

Similarly, when running for president in 1980, Reagan’s biographer Lou Cannon notes on page 520 of his book that Reagan called the 1965 Voting Rights Act “a humiliation of the South.”

But by 1986 President Reagan was deep into a campaign to de-fund the Democratic Party, and the Democrats’ main donor was organized labor. What better way to crush unions than to replace their members with non-union workers who were legally invisible?

For example, prior to the Reagan administration two of the most heavily unionized industries in America were construction and meatpacking. These were tough jobs, but in both cases provided people who just had a high school education with a solid entry card into the American Dream.

They were well-paid jobs that allowed construction and meatpacking workers to buy a home, take vacations, raise their kids and live a good, middle-class life with a pension for retirement. The meat packers in Wisconsin were doing so well that they sponsored what became the only non-billionaire-owned NFL football team — the Green Bay Packers — from day one.

Reagan and his Republican allies — with unionized companies across the country making healthy “donations” legalized by the 1978 Bellotti Supreme Court decision — wrote the 1986 Immigration Reform Act in a way that made it harder to prosecute employers who invited undocumented workers into their workplaces.

They abandoned systems like I had to engage so I could work in Germany and Australia in 1986/87 and the early 2000s, or like Canada and other developed countries have had in place for decades.

Instead, under Reagan’s new law, employers could easily avoid sanctions by simply having undocumented immigrants give them paperwork (often supplied by the employers themselves) that met the new requirement that it “reasonably appears on its face to be genuine.”

Further reducing the “burden” on employers, an amendment to the law under the guise of preventing discrimination “penalized employers for conducting overly aggressive scrutiny of workers’ legal status on the basis of their nationality or national origin.”

The law also held companies harmless if they simply fired all their unionized American workers and replaced them with undocumented immigrants who were employed by a subcontractor.

This led to an explosion of fly-by-night and immigration-law-skirting subcontractors providing cheap undocumented labor for everything from construction to fieldwork to cleaning factories (like the most recent charge of child labor violations in Nebraska).

This is what amuses me the most when the just and righteous, freedom loving patriots on this board bleat like sheep about undocumented immigrants, caravans at the border, and a "migrant" invasion.
Well...YOU helped create the mess. And one of your worshiped messiahs was instrumental in creating the conditions that allow corporations to draw large numbers of undocumenteds here to work for them.
All with no repercussions (financial or otherwise) for these corporations who can still give money to Republican and conservatives who can shout out of the other side of their mouths about "WE ARE BEING INVADED!!" :auiqs.jpg:

And the underlying problem STILL doesn't get solved. (Caveat...Democrats bear responsibility for the mess too...but at least I see them wanting to talk about it).

RawSewage, Daily Kook, whatever. :laughing0301:

I remember when I was on Edson Range they called a cease fire due to illegal immigrants downrange. That was the early 80's. The border is one of my favorite examples of Republicans hypocrisy. Republicans are dead set against holding employers responsible for hiring illegals, yet scream and yell they come across the border at will to come up here and get our welfare, vote for Democrats and steal our women or something like that. In reality, they do not get welfare from the fed in any case, and if they had no place to work they would not be here. One meat processor CEO doing the perp walk for hiring illegals would have fixed this problem years ago. But this topic is about the only think the Republicans stand for anymore.

I remember when I was on Edson Range they called a cease fire due to illegal immigrants downrange. That was the early 80's. The border is one of my favorite examples of Republicans hypocrisy. Republicans are dead set against holding employers responsible for hiring illegals, yet scream and yell they come across the border at will to come up here and get our welfare, vote for Democrats and steal our women or something like that. In reality, they do not get welfare from the fed in any case, and if they had no place to work they would not be here. One meat processor CEO doing the perp walk for hiring illegals would have fixed this problem years ago. But this topic is about the only think the Republicans stand for anymore.
when did the democrats stop hiring them?....just curious....

This is what amuses me the most when the just and righteous, freedom loving patriots on this board bleat like sheep about undocumented immigrants, caravans at the border, and a "migrant" invasion.
Well...YOU helped create the mess. And one of your worshiped messiahs was instrumental in creating the conditions that allow corporations to draw large numbers of undocumenteds here to work for them.
All with no repercussions (financial or otherwise) for these corporations who can still give money to Republican and conservatives who can shout out of the other side of their mouths about "WE ARE BEING INVADED!!" :auiqs.jpg:

And the underlying problem STILL doesn't get solved. (Caveat...Democrats bear responsibility for the mess too...but at least I see them wanting to talk about it).
Please stop making this a partisan issue. Do you think regular citizens in the 1980s supported illegal citizens taking well paying unions jobs?

Please stop making this a partisan issue. Do you think regular citizens in the 1980s supported illegal citizens taking well paying unions jobs?
Uh....you are aware of Reagan's union busting efforts in the 80's..right?
And.....HE made it possible for this to happen. Didn't matter what "regular" people thought.

The employment of illegals is a mystery to me. For a few moments in the '90's I was HR manager of a small engineering firm. I was therefore responsible for filling out an I-9 form for every new hire (and implicitly I had to get one for every current employee). The I-9 form requires two (2) forms of ID proving that the employee is who he says he is, one of which forms must be a government-issued photo ID. I was told that my files were subject to Federal audit at any time (probably by the IRS, although that was never stipulated), and if I didn't have an I-9 form for any employee, I would be thrown in jail. So I kept a binder with all the I-9 forms, ready for any audit.

The law hasn't changed.

And yet we have people who still run around saying, "We have to DO SOMETHING about the companies that are employing illegals!"

Enforce the existing law, perhaps?

Uh....you are aware of Reagan's union busting efforts in the 80's..right?
And.....HE made it possible for this to happen. Didn't matter what "regular" people thought.
Of course it matters what others thought, if they were even aware of it. Its not as if media questioned such decisions very publicly back then, either print or tv media. No voter, even if they voted for a leader supports nor is aware of all their policy decisions.

lol....you havent been to S.Cal.....many pretend they dont mind them being here which is bullshit....
I must not articulating my point adequately. The Dems do no pretend illegals coming are rapist and murdering child molesters here to sell drugs and collect welfare and the Dems seem ok with them being here. Republicans on the other hand, do say all that but insist on hiring them.

I must not articulating my point adequately. The Dems do no pretend illegals coming are rapist and murdering child molesters here to sell drugs and collect welfare and the Dems seem ok with them being here. Republicans on the other hand, do say all that but insist on hiring them.
ok let me clarify what i said above....many democrats feel the same way....they just dont say it because they are fucking phonies just like the republicans are.....seem is the operative word above....a hell of a lot of them are not ok with them being here....

Republicans don’t want to fix the problem. They’ve had multiple opportunities at bipartisan fixes.

But for them a broken border it is a significant political issue to rally the base around. They already lost abortion when Roe was overturned.

ok let me clarify what i said above....many democrats feel the same way....they just dont say it because they are fucking phonies just like the republicans are.....seem is the operative word above....a hell of a lot of them are not ok with them being here....
Ok my bad. I did not understand what you were saying. You are correct.

Forum List

Back