The Republican War on our “Direct Democracy.”

JLW

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2012
Though Republicans control a majority of state governments, one area of governmental power they, nor Democrats for that matter, can control is in the area of ballot initiatives. Ballot initiatives or referendums are those issues that are placed on the ballot for an up or down vote by the people. It is the greatest example of direct democracy that this nation has.

As the NYTs points out , “these referendums are a century-old fixture of American democracy that allows voters to bypass their legislatures to enact new laws, often with results that defy the desires of the state’s elected representatives.“ Republicans in particular are stymied by these initiatIves as the people vote for laws that Republicans in Red States disapprove. Among those initiatives that have passed in Red states that were opposed by Republicans were laws ”that raised the minimum wage, legalized marijuana, expanded Medicaid, introduced nonpartisan redistricting and no-excuse absentee voting, and restored voting rights to people with felony convictions.”

This year Republican-led legislatures in Florida, Idaho, South Dakota and other states have passed laws limiting the use of referendums. “So far in 2021, Republicans have introduced 144 bills to restrict the ballot initiative processes in 32 states, according to the Ballot Initiative Strategy Center...”

The question is why do Republicans fear the people. Why should we not let the people speak? It is a two way street after all. Republicans can use and have used the same ballot referendums in the past. I say let the people speak!

Do you agree with Republicans that these ballot referendums should be restricted.

Last edited:
Though Republicans control a majority of state governments, one area of governmental power they, nor Democrats for that matter, can control is in the area of ballot initiatives. Ballot initiatives or referendums are those issues that are placed on the ballot for an up or down vote by the people. It is the greatest example of direct democracy that this nation has.

As the NYTs points out , “these referendums are a century-old fixture of American democracy that allows voters to bypass their legislatures to enact new laws, often with results that defy the desires of the state’s elected representatives.“ Republicans in particular are stymied by these initiatIves as the people vote for laws that Republicans in Red States disapprove. Among those initiatives that have passed in Red states that were opposed by Republicans in these states were laws ”that raised the minimum wage, legalized marijuana, expanded Medicaid, introduced nonpartisan redistricting and no-excuse absentee voting, and restored voting rights to people with felony convictions.”

This year Republican-led legislatures in Florida, Idaho, South Dakota and other states have passed laws limiting the use of referendums. “So far in 2021, Republicans have introduced 144 bills to restrict the ballot initiative processes in 32 states, according to the Ballot Initiative Strategy Center...”

The question is why do Republicans fear the people. Why should we not let the people speak? It is a two way street after all. Republicans can use and have sued the same ballot referendums in the past.

Do you agree with Republicans that these ballot referendums should be restricted.

What do you care if there are checks on voting? You say the elections were on the up and up. Some of the Repubs must really have hated Trump. For they were most likely in on it.

Still mad California voted no to gay marriage?
Huh..Reread my thread and think before you post.
I asked you a question are you still mad the people of California voted no to gay marriage?

Thank God we are a democracy and gay marriage is still illegal
I take it then you are opposed to the Republicans restricting these ballot initiatives and agree with the Democrats. Score one for the Democrats.

I asked you a question are you still mad the people of California voted no to gay marriage?

I take it then you are opposed to the Republicans restricting these ballot initiatives. Score one for the Democrats.

I take it you think we are a democracy

I take it then you are opposed to the Republicans restricting these ballot initiatives. Score one for the Democrats.

I take it you think we are a democracy
I take you can’t read.

The question is one of ballot initiatives. You do understand that, right?

As the NYTs points out , “these referendums are a century-old fixture of American democracy that allows voters to bypass their legislatures to enact new laws, often with results that defy the desires of the state’s elected representatives.“ Republicans in particular are stymied by these initiatIves as the people vote for laws that Republicans in Red States disapprove. Among those initiatives that have passed in Red states that were opposed by Republicans were laws ”that raised the minimum wage, legalized marijuana, expanded Medicaid, introduced nonpartisan redistricting and no-excuse absentee voting, and restored voting rights to people with felony convictions.”

The question is why do Republicans fear the people. Why should we not let the people speak? It is a two way street after all. Republicans can use and have used the same ballot referendums in the past.

The word Democracy is not used once in the US Constitution but Republic is used more than twice. If you don't know the difference, read The Republic, Plato.

Last edited:

The question is why do Republicans fear the people. Why should we not let the people speak? It is a two way street after all. Republicans can use and have used the same ballot referendums in the past.

The word Democracy is no used once in the US Constitution but Republic is used more than twice. If you don't know the difference, read The Republic, Plato..
What is it with Republicans? The question is one of ballot initiatIves.

For the record, we are a constitutional republic with democratic institutions. You do realize that, don’t you or am I speaking to third graders on this board?

I guess the question is, as I posed earlier, why do Republicans fear the people? Republican posters apparently are deathly afraid of voters based on their posts so far.

Last edited:

The word Democracy is no used once in the US Constitution but Republic is used more than twice. If you don't know the difference, read The Republic, Plato..

For the record, we are a constitutional republic with democratic institutions. You do realize that, don’t you or am I speaking to third graders on this board?
Yup your still mad gay marriage is illegal

Yup your still mad gay marriage is illegal
I could care less about gay marriage. But congratulations on joining the liberals on the issue of ballot initiatives. Maybe there is hope for you after all.

I guess the question is, as I posed earlier, why do Republicans fear the people? Republican posters apparently are deathly afraid of voters based on their posts so far.
I highly suspect that most of the readers on USMB have a 3rd. grade education.

1621729638047.png

A better question is...

Why do the progressive Democrats fear the people so much that they had to murder an unarmed female protestor then erect fences around themselves and bring in enough troops to hold a war?

*****SMILE*****

:)

View attachment 492415

A better question is...

Why do the progressive Democrats fear the people so much that they had to murder an unarmed female protestor then erect fences around themselves and bring in enough troops to hold a war?

*****SMILE*****

Stop attempting to derail this thread with totally irrelevant fatuity.

View attachment 492415

A better question is...

*****SMILE*****
6 Jan scared AOC so much that she's in Therapy. Next: AOC gets PTSD and a fat pension.

6 Jan scared AOC so much that she's in Therapy

I highly suspect that most of the readers on USMB have a 3rd. grade education.
That would apply to the ones that voted for biden like the op yes.lol

Yet you called us a "direct democracy" why do you keep trying to establish that as a "truth."

You got called out, so now you squirm

Forum List

Back