The "raiding" of the Social Security Trust. What you don't know, and why you're probably an idiot.

SwimExpert

Gold Member
Nov 26, 2013
There is much discussion on this on this board. Almost any time SS and it's solvency (or lack thereof) is discussed, everyone talks about how SS has been "raided" and used to pay for other things. The problem here is that most of you, Democrat and Republican alike, who say this don't have a clue what you're talking about. So here, I'll explain it to you. I'd like to say that we could put the issue to rest once and for all, but I doubt that will be the case.

Before I begin, a prediction: Many of you will rush to respond without bothering to read, and in the process you'll jump to conclusions and make an ass out of yourself. Some will rail off on wild tangents. Many dissenters will be folks who claim to be conservatives, but are really just fake ass Cinos who like to complain and whine, and will be completely oblivious to the highly damaging implications I'll be presenting against the entire SS system. But you'll feel good because touching yourself always feels good. Many dissenters will be liberals, who will "like" this post, will note the Cinos dissenting for all the wrong reasons, and based upon that, will launch into your Hooray for Government dance, as if idiots being wrong instantly means that government is the solution to all our problems. Finally, if most people are adequately drawn to my blue highlighting of this paragraph so as to read it, and subsequently see their planned reaction described herein, few responses will be made because you'll realize that you've already been identified and you're now embarrassed at how much of an ass of yourself you were about to make.

Okay, now that that's cleared up, let's talk about the Social Security Trust, and what happens to the money.....

Overall, the Social Security Trust is fairly simple. Money goes in with the express purpose of being used to fund Social Security. It can't be used to pay to fuel up Air Force One for Obama's latest golfing venture. Simple. That being said, money static is money lost. That is to say, if money just sits on the coffee table, it's not doing anything except sitting there. In our personal lives most people know that building up a nest egg of cash that is doing nothing typically means lost opportunities. We could invest that money and make more money. Even something as simple and safe as putting it into a Certificate of Deposit with your bank might return a little bit of cash, all while you sit back and play video games for the next 18 months. If you're not going to be using your nest egg anyway, it's like giving up free money to just let it sit there.

That's why many, many years ago Congress passed a law that requires excess funds in the Social Security Trust to be "invested." Instead of just sitting there and collecting dust, the excess is invested and collects interest, which is then rolled back into the Trust. This "investing" is done in the form of intra-governmental loans. Basically, the government borrows money from itself, on a short term basis, in pretty much the same fashion as other government borrowing occurs. A bond is given to the Trust, and a few months later the Trust is repaid with interest.

Now, you might be thinking that "Well, this really does amount to raiding the SS Trust to pay for other things." On it's surface, it might appear that way. But in reality, it's not that way. And there are two reasons for that:

1 - At it's core, it's little more more than moving around cash. If your car broke down on Wed and you were short on cash, causing you to transfer $500 from your savings into your checking until payday Friday, at which point you put back the $500 plus added your normal per-paycheck savings contribution, would you call that "raiding" your savings account to pay you mechanic? Of course not. All you did was move your own cash around so that your check won't bounce.

2 - The law requires that the Trust be invested in his way. It doesn't matter how much or how little the government is spending on other things. Congress could pass a balanced budget, and the same thing would happen. Heck, the Congress could pass a budget that only authorizes $1,500 in spending, and the same thing would still happen. The Trust would still be invested, and the government would still borrow from itself.

This is why you may have heard such seemingly absurd things as "The debt is $18 trillion, but the real dept is only $10 trillion." What the "real" debt refers to is the amount of debt that is not in the form of intra-governmental loans; intra-governmental loans are included in the official calculation of the debt, so a sizable part of the $18 trillion includes cash that the government has just shifted around between accounts. (***Note: I do not know the actual figures off the top of my head, the $10 trillion amount is merely an explanatory tool).

Now that we understand that investing the excess funds in the Social Security Trust by means of intra-governmental debt is a long standing legal requirement that happens without regard to how much the government spends, some people might be ready to rejoice in the alleged marvel that is the Social Security system. Some might feel relieved that in fact the SS Trust is not being "raided" and might even see this as evidence that SS can remain solvent for many decades to come. But don't be so fast to celebrate. Because everything I've just said actually underscores the fact that Social Security is a drain on the American economy, and on the taxpayer.

As I explained, when excess funds from the SS Trust are loaned out to other parts of the government they are paid back with interest. This brings more money into the Trust. That money didn't come from your SS payroll taxes. It comes directly from your income tax. You are investing more money into the SS Trust than just your SS taxes!! The SS Trust is like a black hole. It sucks in money from every direction, and all it spits out are the decayed remnants of what's left over.

The amount of money a person receives in terms of SS retirement benefits will almost always be less than what you've paid into it as SS taxes. And now that we understand that we invest more than just our SS taxes into the SS Trust, the disparity of return is understood to be even greater. Allowing individuals to retain their SS taxes would allow them to instead invest those funds into retirement plans that would yield better returns, resulting in having more funds available for their own retirement. Additionally, the interest that the SS Trust sucks in from the taxpayers would result in a net savings of government expenses, allowing for lower deficits.

There is much discussion on this on this board. Almost any time SS and it's solvency (or lack thereof) is discussed, everyone talks about how SS has been "raided" and used to pay for other things. The problem here is that most of you, Democrat and Republican alike, who say this don't have a clue what you're talking about. So here, I'll explain it to you. I'd like to say that we could put the issue to rest once and for all, but I doubt that will be the case.

Before I begin, a prediction: Many of you will rush to respond without bothering to read, and in the process you'll jump to conclusions and make an ass out of yourself. Some will rail off on wild tangents. Many dissenters will be folks who claim to be conservatives, but are really just fake ass Cinos who like to complain and whine, and will be completely oblivious to the highly damaging implications I'll be presenting against the entire SS system. But you'll feel good because touching yourself always feels good. Many dissenters will be liberals, who will "like" this post, will note the Cinos dissenting for all the wrong reasons, and based upon that, will launch into your Hooray for Government dance, as if idiots being wrong instantly means that government is the solution to all our problems. Finally, if most people are adequately drawn to my blue highlighting of this paragraph so as to read it, and subsequently see their planned reaction described herein, few responses will be made because you'll realize that you've already been identified and you're now embarrassed at how much of an ass of yourself you were about to make.

Okay, now that that's cleared up, let's talk about the Social Security Trust, and what happens to the money.....

Overall, the Social Security Trust is fairly simple. Money goes in with the express purpose of being used to fund Social Security. It can't be used to pay to fuel up Air Force One for Obama's latest golfing venture. Simple. That being said, money static is money lost. That is to say, if money just sits on the coffee table, it's not doing anything except sitting there. In our personal lives most people know that building up a nest egg of cash that is doing nothing typically means lost opportunities. We could invest that money and make more money. Even something as simple and safe as putting it into a Certificate of Deposit with your bank might return a little bit of cash, all while you sit back and play video games for the next 18 months. If you're not going to be using your nest egg anyway, it's like giving up free money to just let it sit there.

That's why many, many years ago Congress passed a law that requires excess funds in the Social Security Trust to be "invested." Instead of just sitting there and collecting dust, the excess is invested and collects interest, which is then rolled back into the Trust. This "investing" is done in the form of intra-governmental loans. Basically, the government borrows money from itself, on a short term basis, in pretty much the same fashion as other government borrowing occurs. A bond is given to the Trust, and a few months later the Trust is repaid with interest.

Now, you might be thinking that "Well, this really does amount to raiding the SS Trust to pay for other things." On it's surface, it might appear that way. But in reality, it's not that way. And there are two reasons for that:

1 - At it's core, it's little more more than moving around cash. If your car broke down on Wed and you were short on cash, causing you to transfer $500 from your savings into your checking until payday Friday, at which point you put back the $500 plus added your normal per-paycheck savings contribution, would you call that "raiding" your savings account to pay you mechanic? Of course not. All you did was move your own cash around so that your check won't bounce.

2 - The law requires that the Trust be invested in his way. It doesn't matter how much or how little the government is spending on other things. Congress could pass a balanced budget, and the same thing would happen. Heck, the Congress could pass a budget that only authorizes $1,500 in spending, and the same thing would still happen. The Trust would still be invested, and the government would still borrow from itself.

This is why you may have heard such seemingly absurd things as "The debt is $18 trillion, but the real dept is only $10 trillion." What the "real" debt refers to is the amount of debt that is not in the form of intra-governmental loans; intra-governmental loans are included in the official calculation of the debt, so a sizable part of the $18 trillion includes cash that the government has just shifted around between accounts. (***Note: I do not know the actual figures off the top of my head, the $10 trillion amount is merely an explanatory tool).

Now that we understand that investing the excess funds in the Social Security Trust by means of intra-governmental debt is a long standing legal requirement that happens without regard to how much the government spends, some people might be ready to rejoice in the alleged marvel that is the Social Security system. Some might feel relieved that in fact the SS Trust is not being "raided" and might even see this as evidence that SS can remain solvent for many decades to come. But don't be so fast to celebrate. Because everything I've just said actually underscores the fact that Social Security is a drain on the American economy, and on the taxpayer.

As I explained, when excess funds from the SS Trust are loaned out to other parts of the government they are paid back with interest. This brings more money into the Trust. That money didn't come from your SS payroll taxes. It comes directly from your income tax. You are investing more money into the SS Trust than just your SS taxes!! The SS Trust is like a black hole. It sucks in money from every direction, and all it spits out are the decayed remnants of what's left over.

The amount of money a person receives in terms of SS retirement benefits will almost always be less than what you've paid into it as SS taxes. And now that we understand that we invest more than just our SS taxes into the SS Trust, the disparity of return is understood to be even greater. Allowing individuals to retain their SS taxes would allow them to instead invest those funds into retirement plans that would yield better returns, resulting in having more funds available for their own retirement. Additionally, the interest that the SS Trust sucks in from the taxpayers would result in a net savings of government expenses, allowing for lower deficits.

One minor quibble is that government has gotten used to these loans to provide part of the budget. Plus as long as SS has a collection surplus, they really don't have to "pay back" anything, new loans are made as the old ones are "cashed out".

Beyond personal finance, once SS becomes non-self sufficient, no more loans will be made, and SS will have to collect on the loans outstanding.

What a load of crap. Taking our Social Security contributions and spending it on other crap without any means of repaying the money is not investing it. That will land you right in prison in the private sector. 2% interest that will never be paid is $0.00

That these corrupt thieves now tell us they have to raise the retirement age so that some of us will die before collecting a dime, and others will get less than promised or nothing at all is a clue that the money was not 'invested'. Government stole the money, they spent it, they can't pay us back so now they want to screw us over.

• Banned
One minor quibble is that government has gotten used to these loans to provide part of the budget. Plus as long as SS has a collection surplus, they really don't have to "pay back" anything, new loans are made as the old ones are "cashed out".

Beyond personal finance, once SS becomes non-self sufficient, no more loans will be made, and SS will have to collect on the loans outstanding.

I'm going to disagree with your opening premise. Investing excess cash in the Trust is always going happen, regardless of spending by Congress. It does not fund other parts of the budget. It merely uses cash on hand now, and redirects incoming cash next week or next month back into the SS Trust. If the SS Trust did not have an excess for intra-governmental loans, the cash would be obtained by selling bonds to extra-governmental entities.

You seem to be under a false idea that government's debts are akin to a maxed credit card of $10,000 where the holder only pays the $25 minimum payment each month. Government debt is accrued by the selling of short term bonds. You give us $1000 now, we'll give you $1050 in three months (actual maturation periods vary). This is a continual cycling that occurs. The cash in the SS Trust that is loaned out is constantly being repaid, and subsequently reloaned.

First, thanks for this topic, SwimExpert, and you did a good job explaining SS.

A couple comments:

You weren't too far off. Here's the October 2015 summary: https://www.treasurydirect.gov/govt/reports/pd/mspd/2015/opds102015.pdf

A little over $5 trillion in intergovernmental holdings, and $13 trillion in public debt.

This doesn't make me feel any better since I already knew this.

Allowing individuals to retain their SS taxes would allow them to instead invest those funds into retirement plans that would yield better returns, resulting in having more funds available for their own retirement.

You've seen how dumb the rubes on this forum are. Do you really think they would invest wisely? Really?

They'd be wiped out by scammers selling gold plated coins and AAA-rated toxic Wall Street securities, and then would come crying to the government for a bailout.

Last edited:
Swimexpert wrote, "The amount of money a person receives in terms of SS retirement benefits will almost always be less than what you've paid into it as SS taxes. And now that we understand that we invest more than just our SS taxes into the SS Trust, the disparity of return is understood to be even greater. Allowing individuals to retain their SS taxes would allow them to instead invest those funds into retirement plans that would yield better returns, resulting in having more funds available for their own retirement. Additionally, the interest that the SS Trust sucks in from the taxpayers would result in a net savings of government expenses, allowing for lower deficits.

Sure thing and the Easter Bunny is coming soon and after that Santa Claus. Hope you've been good? Whenever anyone starts a thread calling people idiots, the requirement is that themselves don't sound like an idiot. Given our current average salary in America, are you really so naive as to think many will save? And consider too the help for children and widowed persons. SS is insurance and it helped greatly the last time that magical market nearly collapsed.

One man's retirement math: Social Security wins' One man's retirement math: Social Security wins

"Can we have confidence in Social Security? The author is confident that Congress will strengthen Social Security, for two reasons. One, it's extremely popular politically, possibly the most popular government program of all. Two, it's the least expensive way to provide financial security to a large population, which is why there are over 100 Social Security systems around the world." See bottom for other nations, I wonder if they whine like our right wing in America does? Exposing the Social Security solvency hype

And the problem is that we are now at the point that there are no excess funds, so we now must pay back the trust to meet its obligations.

the thought of a RW wanting to, or managing an investment portfolio when they can't understand the difference between deficit/debt makes me cry with laughter.

I'm going to disagree with your opening premise. Investing excess cash in the Trust is always going happen, regardless of spending by Congress. It does not fund other parts of the budget. It merely uses cash on hand now, and redirects incoming cash next week or next month back into the SS Trust. If the SS Trust did not have an excess for intra-governmental loans, the cash would be obtained by selling bonds to extra-governmental entities.

You seem to be under a false idea that government's debts are akin to a maxed credit card of $10,000 where the holder only pays the $25 minimum payment each month. Government debt is accrued by the selling of short term bonds. You give us $1000 now, we'll give you $1050 in three months (actual maturation periods vary). This is a continual cycling that occurs. The cash in the SS Trust that is loaned out is constantly being repaid, and subsequently reloaned.

The short term transactions may be solvent, but when SS starts to operate in the red as a whole, you will have less money going into the federal bank account than said bank account has to pay out, over a longer period.

The current surplus in that money cycle allows the feds to play down the actual operating deficit, but sooner or later SS will be paying out more than it takes in on its own ledger, which will mean the flow of surplus from the SS fund to the General fund will reverse.

And the problem is that we are now at the point that there are no excess funds, so we now must pay back the trust to meet its obligations.

Sooner or later fancy accounting falls victim to reality. Accountants can hide shady calculations longer than say a bridge engineer can, but the end results are just as catastrophic.

The Government DEPENDS on the SS surplus. They MUST have it to pay the Government operating costs, it is FIGURED into the Budget. It is NOT excess. Ok so the Government pays a percentage on the money it borrows, all sounds fine and dandy, right? Problem is that the Government MUST use the money from SS to pay to operate. When SS no longer has a surplus to LOAN to the Government That money not only will no longer be available to borrow and pay for operating costs BUT the SS fund will be needing the Government to PAY it back the loans it already made.

Perhaps one can explain where the Government will get the funds that it currently depends on from SS AND the funds to pay back the loans when that happens?

The Government DEPENDS on the SS surplus. They MUST have it to pay the Government operating costs, it is FIGURED into the Budget. It is NOT excess. Ok so the Government pays a percentage on the money it borrows, all sounds fine and dandy, right? Problem is that the Government MUST use the money from SS to pay to operate. When SS no longer has a surplus to LOAN to the Government That money not only will no longer be available to borrow and pay for operating costs BUT the SS fund will be needing the Government to PAY it back the loans it already made.

Perhaps one can explain where the Government will get the funds that it currently depends on from SS AND the funds to pay back the loans when that happens?

Individual's deposits.. just like Cyprus did...

Reagan created the trust fund because he needed an accounting gimmick to make up for the failure of his tax cuts to produce the revenue he promised. Essentially, they needed to find money to pay for tax cuts to the 1% (and they didn't want to create rational defense budgets where Reagan's defense donors had to accept reasonable contracts.)

So ol' Ronny told stupid workers to pay into a trust. Then he grabbed the money and used it to fill revenue holes created by his no-bid defense spending + tax cuts.

Now, as planned, the GOP points to the insolvency of the trust and tells the stupid workers who paid into it that they need to take 20% haircut on payouts.

It's called an upward transfer of wealth.

Last edited:
And with 93 million NOT contributing today...

Sooner or later fancy accounting falls victim to reality. Accountants can hide shady calculations longer than say a bridge engineer can, but the end results are just as catastrophic.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong. In '69 lbj pushed and signed into law a change that would include the funds from ss to be shown as part of the general budget, rather than separately, known as a unified budget, so as to make the overall fiscal health of the government look better. It was under Reagan an amendment was made to remove it from budget calculations. Since then it has bounced back and forth.
Reagan created the trust fund because he needed an accounting gimmick to make up for the failure of his tax cuts to produce the revenue he promised. Essentially, they needed to find money to pay for tax cuts to the 1% (and they didn't want to create rational defense budgets where Reagan's defense donors had to accept reasonable contracts.)

So ol' Ronny told stupid workers to pay into a trust. Then he grabbed the money and used it to fill revenue holes created by his no-bid defense spending + tax cuts.

Now, as planned, the GOP points to the insolvency of the trust and tells the stupid workers who paid into it that they need to take 20% haircut on payouts.

It's called an upward transfer of wealth.

Among the 'things people dont know' about SS is that for all intents and purposes, it's just tax and spend with some rules that got it votes from conservatives. It's just welfare.

Social Security is a "safety net" - a valuable lesson learned from the Great Depression. It's "insurance" - that is totally paid for by those who paid into it during their working years. It doesn't cost the government anything - other than the interest it must pay on the loan (like China, Japan and others). Social Security is by far the largest holder of U.S. debt.

Forum List

Back