THE President Obama Education Speech Transcript

I really wonder if talking heads in the media ever get called on the fact that their "predictions" are wrong like 95% of the time.

When's the last time someone did a study of how often, say, FoxNews' "Predictions" have actually been right?

Why target FOX? Albiet he is NOT a Journalist, Limbaugh seems to be pretty on the spot with predictions and he demonstrates is daily with over a 98% accuracy. Like him or not. You cannot demean his success.

Like what? What major prediction has rush made that was correct?

Everything he said about Iraq was wrong.

Everything he said about the economy during the first 6 years of the Bush administration was wrong.

Everything he's said so far about economic recovery under the Obama administration has been wrong.

I think the last time I heard him make an accurate prediction about a MAJOR issue was when he said Clinton was having sex with an intern.

OBVIOUSLY you're NOT a listener. And that's OK. Your answer reflects it. Everything he says is backed UP by him.

You really need an education and stop relying on what others tell you to SAY of him. And as a matter of course? He is in the same camp as Ingraham, Boortz, Hannity, Levin, and others...but I suspect that you don't patronize them either and rather default to whatever you are told by whatever means.

And Limbaugh is Audited for accuracy.

Your choice. But I beg you to wake up before you find yourself wishing that you hadn't taken the stance that you are...(And I don't mean Limbaugh), but rather your OWN Liberty prescribed by the Government so proudly you hail.

Funny how some people on this thread claimed that conservatives or Obama haters are claiming this speech is a terrible thing, or imparting their own false claims about conservative action, when nothing of the sort was done on this thread.
Keep lying to yourselves, see where it gets you.

Courtesy of a link provided by bodecea in another thread,* here's the "SPEECH"

I have read it (speedily, though) and found nothing offensive in it really at all.

Comments?

The speech itself was not the major issue.....Obama got his sticky mitts slapped off the children....parents didn't want the LESSON PLAN (sucking up to Obama) that was supposed to be taught after Obama's speech....they got RID of it....AND a brazen attempt at political indoctrination through the school system...

The speech was changed.

The lesson plan was ditched.

Another fail for Obama.

The bigger event is tomorrow night - but the Democrats are already scratching at each since returning to DC, so the president has his hands full trying to coordinate anything with this increasingly angry Democrat infighting...

Funny how some people on this thread claimed that conservatives or Obama haters are claiming this speech is a terrible thing, or imparting their own false claims about conservative action, when nothing of the sort was done on this thread.

Not on this particular thread, but other threads on this site and Fox.

Fox is a hoot. I watched Laura Ingram, Michelle Malkin and Sean Hannity going nuts over this speech. Which is why I translated it into "Republicanese" at the beginning of the thread. After watching Laura and Michelle, I was amazed how close I was.

Courtesy of a link provided by bodecea in another thread,* here's the "SPEECH"

I have read it (speedily, though) and found nothing offensive in it really at all.

Comments?

The speech itself was not the major issue.....Obama got his sticky mitts slapped off the children....parents didn't want the LESSON PLAN (sucking up to Obama) that was supposed to be taught after Obama's speech....they got RID of it....AND a brazen attempt at political indoctrination through the school system...

I must admit that I agree with this stance. I do NOT trust Obama, no matter the flowery words he utters when it suits him. He was thwarted Before the fact.

The Statists should be more careful before they do a BEFORE ACTION report and it gets into the public preview. They can't win, and they suffered today for it.

I really wonder if talking heads in the media ever get called on the fact that their "predictions" are wrong like 95% of the time.

When's the last time someone did a study of how often, say, FoxNews' "Predictions" have actually been right?

You're kidding right?

After the video we saw that he put out, you KNOW he changed it drastically. And he sounded angry when he delivered it. You KNOW he was biting his tongue saying all that about being responsible, self-motivating...everything about Obama is about having the government do it for us and treating us like we're all a bunch of idiots that need his administration to guide us.

Screaming Eagle makes an important point. The speech Obama gave was harmless...I wouldn't mind kids hearing some version of that speech each year from the sitting President...its good to be reminded to work hard, take responsibility, blah, blah, blah...but that speech was not what got people nervous...and pretending that it is is simply disingenuous.

What started the hub-bub was the lesson plan that suggested teachers encourage children to write about "how they could help their president," "why the president needs our help," etc. etc. Tied with the schools that showed the "I will be a servant to Barack Obama" celebrity video, I think a lot of parents were simply being good parents by asking - "What exactly is the President trying to accomplish here?"

The issue was never Obama telling students to work hard and stay in school. No one (who was sane) who questioned the purpose of the speech had a problem with that message...it was the "Ask not what your President can do for you but what you can do for your President" implication of the suggested lesson plan and the ideas echoed in the celeb video that caused the stir.

That being said...the Republicans and conservatives in general totally screwed the pooch on this one politically. They came across looking like petty, little children and, in my opinion, were played beautifully by the Obama Administration. 1) Release your suggested lesson plan. 2) Observe the teeth-gnashing from the likes of Hannity and Limbaugh. 3) Let it reach a fevered-pitch. 4) Release the speech (altered or not) that is harmless and potentially helpful. 5) Sit back and laugh at the fact that the conservatives made themselves look like paranoid idiots.

While I am embarrassed for the conservatives that were frothing at the mouth about this....I also want to make sure that we are all honest about the fact that no one was frothing at the mouth (or even expressing slight concern...which is what many were doing) at the President saying "do your homework and wash your hands." They were concerned about a President telling every public school child he could, "How can you serve me?"

Not on this particular thread, but other threads on this site and Fox.

Fox is a hoot. I watched Laura Ingram, Michelle Malkin and Sean Hannity going nuts over this speech. Which is why I translated it into "Republicanese" at the beginning of the thread. After watching Laura and Michelle, I was amazed how close I was.

FOX said something, therefore it must be true? :cuckoo:

Screaming Eagle makes an important point. The speech Obama gave was harmless...I wouldn't mind kids hearing some version of that speech each year from the sitting President...its good to be reminded to work hard, take responsibility, blah, blah, blah...but that speech was not what got people nervous...and pretending that it is is simply disingenuous.

What started the hub-bub was the lesson plan that suggested teachers encourage children to write about "how they could help their president," "why the president needs our help," etc. etc. Tied with the schools that showed the "I will be a servant to Barack Obama" celebrity video, I think a lot of parents were simply being good parents by asking - "What exactly is the President trying to accomplish here?"

The issue was never Obama telling students to work hard and stay in school. No one (who was sane) who questioned the purpose of the speech had a problem with that message...it was the "Ask not what your President can do for you but what you can do for your President" implication of the suggested lesson plan and the ideas echoed in the celeb video that caused the stir.

That being said...the Republicans and conservatives in general totally screwed the pooch on this one politically. They came across looking like petty, little children and, in my opinion, were played beautifully by the Obama Administration. 1) Release your suggested lesson plan. 2) Observe the teeth-gnashing from the likes of Hannity and Limbaugh. 3) Let it reach a fevered-pitch. 4) Release the speech (altered or not) that is harmless and potentially helpful. 5) Sit back and laugh at the fact that the conservatives made themselves look like paranoid idiots.

While I am embarrassed for the conservatives that were frothing at the mouth about this....I also want to make sure that we are all honest about the fact that no one was frothing at the mouth (or even expressing slight concern...which is what many were doing) at the President saying "do your homework and wash your hands." They were concerned about a President telling every public school child he could, "How can you serve me?"

Well said.

One underlying POINT here? Why isn't it coming from the PARENTS? Have some of you forgotten thisaspect of it? And WHY aren't some of you holding them responsible?

WHY does this word have to come from a POTUS that doesn't BELIVE A friggin' WORD of what he uttered today by his past actions? By his Associations?

Have you all gone MAD?

The T, I'm a teacher...you don't have to tell me that this should be coming from the parents. And in many cases, it isn't.

One of the things I most respected about Obama while he was running was the fact that he said on several occasions that he could raise teachers salaries, lower classroom size, give every kid a laptop, etc. etc....but unless parents made their kids put down the video game controller and do their homework...it wouldn't matter.

Unfortunately...its a whole lot easier to say that than it is to find some way to MAKE parents take an active interest in their child's education and to make them be responsible parents.

Obama's speech was nice...I don't actually think it will accomplish anything (other than the little controversy it stirred which gave us all something to talk about for a few days).

The T, I'm a teacher...you don't have to tell me that this should be coming from the parents. And in many cases, it isn't.

One of the things I most respected about Obama while he was running was the fact that he said on several occasions that he could raise teachers salaries, lower classroom size, give every kid a laptop, etc. etc....but unless parents made their kids put down the video game controller and do their homework...it wouldn't matter.

Unfortunately...its a whole lot easier to say that than it is to find some way to MAKE parents take an active interest in their child's education and to make them be responsible parents.

Obama's speech was nice...I don't actually think it will accomplish anything (other than the little controversy it stirred which gave us all something to talk about for a few days).
It's not the governments responsibility (read my taxes) to give every kid a laptop computer or any other type of computer.

It's not the governments responsibility (read my taxes) to give every kid a laptop computer or any other type of computer.
Or anything else. There's alot to be said of personal responsibility as it relates to children and having them. If you aren't willing to support the children you have 100%? Then don't give birth to them, and don't above all come screaming to Government, via TAXPAYERS when you fall short.

How else can liberal prove how much they care and how charitable they are other then by spending other peoples money?

You're kidding right?

After the video we saw that he put out, you KNOW he changed it drastically. And he sounded angry when he delivered it. You KNOW he was biting his tongue saying all that about being responsible, self-motivating...everything about Obama is about having the government do it for us and treating us like we're all a bunch of idiots that need his administration to guide us.

Changed it from what?

Ooga booga.

President Bush asked kids to write him when he gave his speech to the school children. He asked them how they could "help". When Obama does it, it's different. He's black and he was born in Hawaii, which many Republicans know isn't a state. Perhaps if they didn't "drop out"?

Or anything else. There's alot to be said of personal responsibility as it relates to children and having them. If you aren't willing to support the children you have 100%? Then don't give birth to them, and don't above all come screaming to Government, via TAXPAYERS when you fall short.

Mr Obama's speech mentioned personal responsibility as part of its theme, I'm not sure why Gem mentioned the whole government given laptop as part of her post.

President Bush asked kids to write him when he gave his speech to the school children. He asked them how they could "help". When Obama does it, it's different. He's black and he was born in Hawaii, which many Republicans know isn't a state. Perhaps if they didn't "drop out"?

Bullshit.

Today's speech was fine. Not a problem However, the lesson plans were rewritten twice, do you really have a question that the speech too was rewritten?

Bush 41 also addressed kids, guess what? His speech was nearly identical to the one today. Guess how Democrats reacted?

When Bush spoke to students, Democrats investigated, held hearings | Washington Examiner

When Bush spoke to students, Democrats investigated, held hearings

By: Byron York
Chief Political Correspondent
09/08/09 7:11 AM EDT

George H. Bush, 41st President of the United States (Photo by Logan Mock-Bunting/Getty Images)
The controversy over President Obama's speech to the nation's schoolchildren will likely be over shortly after Obama speaks today at Wakefield High School in Arlington, Virginia. But when President George H.W. Bush delivered a similar speech on October 1, 1991, from Alice Deal Junior High School in Washington DC, the controversy was just beginning. Democrats, then the majority party in Congress, not only denounced Bush's speech -- they also ordered the General Accounting Office to investigate its production and later summoned top Bush administration officials to Capitol Hill for an extensive hearing on the issue.

Unlike the Obama speech, in 1991 most of the controversy came after, not before, the president's school appearance. The day after Bush spoke, the Washington Post published a front-page story suggesting the speech was carefully staged for the president's political benefit. "The White House turned a Northwest Washington junior high classroom into a television studio and its students into props," the Post reported.

With the Post article in hand, Democrats pounced. "The Department of Education should not be producing paid political advertising for the president, it should be helping us to produce smarter students," said Richard Gephardt, then the House Majority Leader. "And the president should be doing more about education than saying, 'Lights, camera, action.'"

Democrats did not stop with words. Rep. William Ford, then chairman of the House Education and Labor Committee, ordered the General Accounting Office to investigate the cost and legality of Bush's appearance. On October 17, 1991, Ford summoned then-Education Secretary Lamar Alexander and other top Bush administration officials to testify at a hearing devoted to the speech. "The hearing this morning is to really examine the expenditure of $26,750 of the Department of Education funds to produce and televise an appearance by President Bush at Alice Deal Junior High School in Washington, DC," Ford began. "As the chairman of the committee charged with the authorization and implementation of education programs, I am very much interested in the justification, rationale for giving the White House scarce education funds to produce a media event."

Unfortunately for Ford, the General Accounting Office concluded that the Bush administration had not acted improperly. "The speech itself and the use of the department's funds to support it, including the cost of the production contract, appear to be legal," the GAO wrote in a letter to Chairman Ford. "The speech also does not appear to have violated the restrictions on the use of appropriations for publicity and propaganda."

That didn't stop Democratic allies from taking their own shots at Bush. The National Education Association denounced the speech, saying it "cannot endorse a president who spends $26,000 of taxpayers' money on a staged media event at Alice Deal Junior High School in Washington, D.C. -- while cutting school lunch funds for our neediest youngsters."...

Forum List

Back