The Poverty Excuse

A lot of people totally missed the point of this thread. It isn't that poverty causes crime, but that Seattle wants to excuse criminal activity if you can claim poverty as an excuse. Does anyone want to address the concern that you won't be prosecuted for a crime if you can convince the DA or judge that you're poor?

As long as people that are rich can get out of their crimes, I support a fair and just system that allows all to get away with their crimes.
A lot of Democrats certainly do.

During the Great Depression, with much of the United States mired in grinding poverty and unemployment, some Americans found increased opportunities in criminal activities like bootlegging, robbing banks, loan-sharking—even murder.

Criminal activity was illegal then, Seattle wants to make a lot of it acceptable. Time were different then, most of the country wasn't as mobile as it is now. So, if you stole something, people knew who you were and you didn't get away with it. Seattle wants to change that. Throw in the fact the Seattle and other cities want to defund the police, right? How does anyone not see the writing on the wall?

Criminal activity has long been legal for the rich. Did Trump go to prison for his theft?

What a useless deflection.

The reason for a criminal justice system is to take justice from the victims of a crime, and let the State handle it. If the State decides to relinquish that job, then it goes back to the people.

So the people should have resorting to stringing Trump up?

Talk about not wanting to debate the actual topic at hand.

I stated exactly what I think. I'm absolutely OK with it. We are not supposed to have a two tiered justice system.

I believe that all should be treated equally, however that has to be done.

Until it's your shit being stolen.

So how are businesses supposed to handle the deluge of shoplifters that will occur if said shoplifters know they can claim poverty?

I suppose what they do is support a justice system that treats everyone equally.

That doesn't resolve their problem at all.

Just because a merchant supports a liberal position doesn't exempt them from liberal predators.

Liberal? A fair and equal justice system is something liberal? I thought it was supposed to be something American.

During the Great Depression, with much of the United States mired in grinding poverty and unemployment, some Americans found increased opportunities in criminal activities like bootlegging, robbing banks, loan-sharking—even murder.

Criminal activity was illegal then, Seattle wants to make a lot of it acceptable. Time were different then, most of the country wasn't as mobile as it is now. So, if you stole something, people knew who you were and you didn't get away with it. Seattle wants to change that. Throw in the fact the Seattle and other cities want to defund the police, right? How does anyone not see the writing on the wall?

Criminal activity has long been legal for the rich. Did Trump go to prison for his theft?

The reason for a criminal justice system is to take justice from the victims of a crime, and let the State handle it. If the State decides to relinquish that job, then it goes back to the people.

I stated exactly what I think. I'm absolutely OK with it. We are not supposed to have a two tiered justice system.

So how are businesses supposed to handle the deluge of shoplifters that will occur if said shoplifters know they can claim poverty?

I suppose what they do is support a justice system that treats everyone equally.

Just because a merchant supports a liberal position doesn't exempt them from liberal predators.

Liberal? A fair and equal justice system is something liberal? I thought it was supposed to be something American.

It really doesn't matter how you portray your political position as,"conservative" "liberal" or "American", holding to it and supporting it doesn't provide any protection from the liberal predators.

It really doesn't matter how you portray your political position as,"conservative" "liberal" or "American", holding to it and supporting it doesn't provide any protection from the liberal predators.

Trump was a "liberal predator" when he ripped all those people off?

The intent of the proposal is to avoid punishing desperate people just trying to survive. But the provision exempts not only stealing food or similar necessities, but stealing anything—if you claim the money gained from its sale would be used for essentials.
It's an atrocious “fix” for a problem the Democrats created themselves, when they made felons out of everybody else and adjudicted us a mentally ill in a court of law to revoke our gun rights and deprive us of legitimate means of livelihood.

Up for debate is a reform proposed by Seattle City Councilmember Lisa Herbold. For up to 100 different misdemeanor crimes, including theft, harassment, shoplifting, trespassing, and more, an individual could be excused if he or she claims poverty was their motive.

“In a situation where you took that sandwich because you were hungry and you were trying to meet your basic need of satisfying your hunger; we as the community will know that we should not punish that,” King County Director of Public Defense Anita Khandelwal said of the proposal, which she helped craft. “That conduct is excused.”

The intent of the proposal is to avoid punishing desperate people just trying to survive. But the provision exempts not only stealing food or similar necessities, but stealing anything—if you claim the money gained from its sale would be used for essentials.

First and foremost, this policy would obviously incentivize more crime and more theft.

Words fail to adequately describe the idiocy behind such proposals. If you want something, steal it and if you get caught plead poverty and cry me a river. This is basically anarchy, who could operate a business under such rules? Somebody breaks into your business and steals you blind and nothing happens. Or they burn the place down citing BLM. Geez, such a beautiful place that is on the fast track to being a shithole city.

During the Great Depression of the 1930s, did a lot of people engage in looting and robbery?

Absolutely.

10 Famous Depression-era Bank Robbers - Listverse
wrong:
''''''There's only one problem: The Depression years had very little crime'''''

There was a question answered. I showed where indeed people did steal during that time.
......bullshit--there has ALWAYS been crime----but the Depression never increased it

Idiot has an idiotic position. Not surprised.

Best off getting some job for $10 per hour. Can't live on that but it's a start. Work your way to $25 an hour. Anything less it's tough going. But if one can stand misery $25 per hour is ok

Up for debate is a reform proposed by Seattle City Councilmember Lisa Herbold. For up to 100 different misdemeanor crimes, including theft, harassment, shoplifting, trespassing, and more, an individual could be excused if he or she claims poverty was their motive.

“In a situation where you took that sandwich because you were hungry and you were trying to meet your basic need of satisfying your hunger; we as the community will know that we should not punish that,” King County Director of Public Defense Anita Khandelwal said of the proposal, which she helped craft. “That conduct is excused.”

First and foremost, this policy would obviously incentivize more crime and more theft.

Words fail to adequately describe the idiocy behind such proposals. If you want something, steal it and if you get caught plead poverty and cry me a river. This is basically anarchy, who could operate a business under such rules? Somebody breaks into your business and steals you blind and nothing happens. Or they burn the place down citing BLM. Geez, such a beautiful place that is on the fast track to being a shithole city.

During the Great Depression of the 1930s, did a lot of people engage in looting and robbery?

Absolutely.

wrong:

There was a question answered. I showed where indeed people did steal during that time.
......bullshit--there has ALWAYS been crime----but the Depression never increased it

There were more bank robberies. It's why the FBI was created.

You believe that a fair justice system is stupid. That is the problem.

Absolutely.

wrong:

..it was implied = ''MORE'' crime.......according to very far left NPR, not as much crime

Absolutely.

wrong:

..it was implied = ''MORE'' crime.......according to very far left NPR, not as much crime

A lot of people had nothing to take from them.

You are blathering about a "fair" justice system, what is fair about letting people take a pass because they claim they are poor?

You are blathering about a "fair" justice system, what is fair about letting people take a pass because they claim they are poor?
...the people thinking it are dumbasses that have been brainwashed by the lefties/''lefties''

We allow the rich a pass. Why should someone go to jail for stealing to feed themselves but not for ripping people off of hundreds of thousands of dollars?

We allow the rich a pass. Why should someone go to jail for stealing to feed themselves but not for ripping people off of hundreds of thousands of dollars?
.....you just proved you are babbling---if they steal, they get the same treatment....you always have some that don't get put in jail--just like you get some poor people that are not charged/convicted/etc

That isn't about justice, it's about excuses. Ask Bernie Madoff if he got a pass.

99% of this type of crime isn't about people feeding themselves, it's about them not caring that the shit they are taking isn't theirs. And guess what? They steal from other poor people far more than they steal from people more well off.

.....you just proved you are babbling---if they steal, they get the same treatment....you always have some that don't get put in jail--just like you get some poor people that are not charged/convicted/etc

Pkunt is a fucking idiot.

That isn't about justice, it's about excuses. Ask Bernie Madoff if he got a pass.

99% of this type of crime isn't about people feeding themselves, it's about them not caring that the shit they are taking isn't theirs. And guess what? They steal from other poor people far more than they steal from people more well off.
and Enron

Forum List

Back