The Myth That Refuses To Die

You may value teachers, but I don't. Consequently, I advocate that their pay is as low as the market will bear. Look at private schools: teachers generally make less in them than at their public counterparts, and they generally do a much better job. Thus, we know what the glorified babysitters are worth when people get a choice.
Why do you think that is? (If it's true, that is)
Well, a combination of personal experience dealing with representatives of both demographics, as well as data that supports the observation.
2235361.jpg

You may value teachers, but I don't. Consequently, I advocate that their pay is as low as the market will bear. Look at private schools: teachers generally make less in them than at their public counterparts, and they generally do a much better job. Thus, we know what the glorified babysitters are worth when people get a choice.
Well, a combination of personal experience dealing with representatives of both demographics, as well as data that supports the observation.
2235361.jpg
That chart would mean something if thay all had the same student population

2235361.jpg
How about parental interest? A parent who takes the time, the effort, the money to put their student in a private school is an engaged parent.

2235361.jpg
How about parental interest? A parent who takes the time, the effort, the money to put their student in a private school is an engaged parent.
Absolutely. Generally, people take more of an interest in things they pay for than stuff that is just handed to them.

2235361.jpg
They do: High School students taking the SAT. After that, well, if you want to grade the scores on a curve based on demographics, that's your prerogative. I'm more interested in the bottom line, and that is Private schools score higher than Public.

2235361.jpg
They do: High School students taking the SAT. After that, well, if you want to grade the scores on a curve based on demographics, that's your prerogative. I'm more interested in the bottom line, and that is Private schools score higher than Public.
They are not the same demographic that attends all three types of schools

Religious schools and independent schools get to choose who they admit and kick out those they do not like. Public schools do not

[ Not to bad for just a Bachelors fresh out of college, with a joke of a degree.

What "joke of a degree"? History? Biology? English Literature? Physics? Chemistry? Foreign languages? All "jokes"?
No, "Education", with essentially a beefy minor in the topic of interest. I've known many "education" majors and while they may be whiz-bang at the "learning theory" du jour, their grasp of their supposed area of expertise is below a mediocre major in the field.

Thanks for another logical fallacy.

:rolleyes:

That's not a logical fallacy, that's my observation of the "worth" of teachers who majored in education. You should learn what a "logical fallacy" actually is before you start using it in sentences.

I know exactly what it means, and that is exactly what your illogical conclusion based on personal anecdote is. Seems you don't value education in general. Is that so?
Based on those observations of relative talent, I concluded that teachers are no where near worth 70k. I know I wouldn't pay it and, apparently, the market for the most part agrees with me. That's a perfectly logical conclusion.

A teacher who lives in Manhattan should make $70K, a teacher who lives in your trailer park should make quite a bit less
I disagree with both points. The first is a very skewed over compensation for a simplistic job by someone who can't, while the second is just factually incorrect.

The way you write is confusing. Maybe taking a
[ Not to bad for just a Bachelors fresh out of college, with a joke of a degree.

What "joke of a degree"? History? Biology? English Literature? Physics? Chemistry? Foreign languages? All "jokes"?
No, "Education", with essentially a beefy minor in the topic of interest. I've known many "education" majors and while they may be whiz-bang at the "learning theory" du jour, their grasp of their supposed area of expertise is below a mediocre major in the field.

Thanks for another logical fallacy.

:rolleyes:

That's not a logical fallacy, that's my observation of the "worth" of teachers who majored in education. You should learn what a "logical fallacy" actually is before you start using it in sentences.

Why not just write to get your point across instead of trying to impress? Put down the Roget's and maybe take a class in English and composition is my advice.

2235361.jpg
They are not the same demographic that attends all three types of schools

Religious schools and independent schools get to choose who they admit and kick out those they do not like. Public schools do not

private schools are going to be far better in that the parents are more successful, can earn and pay tuition, and care to police their children if only to get their money's worth. Public schools have none of that they are free and so parents don't care as much. They tend to be huge factories where even advanced students can be ruined by the common often ghetto culture.

It depends where one lives. The public schools where I live offer much more and outperform the private schools. Where we live I value teachers and would like to see them make more for what they offer. They are a dedicated bunch of people. The proof is in the pudding as the kids are successful. The vast majority go onto further schooling. I think the number that have joined the military upon graduating the past 5 years can be counted on 1 hand. We have a good thing going. Parents are involved, the schools are flourishing. I'm an advocate for more pay for them.

It depends where one lives. The public schools where I live offer much more and outperform the private schools. Where we live I value teachers and would like to see them make more for what they offer. They are a dedicated bunch of people. The proof is in the pudding as the kids are successful. The vast majority go onto further schooling. I think the number that have joined the military upon graduating the past 5 years can be counted on 1 hand. We have a good thing going. Parents are involved, the schools are flourishing. I'm an advocate for more pay for them.

dear, VA offered great care until it did not. The only way to exert constant upward pressure is with capitalism. It makes doing well a daily issue because every day is a matter of life and death when you encourage competition.

The proof is in the pudding as the kids are successful. The vast majority go onto further schooling. I think the number that have joined the military upon graduating the past 5 years can be counted on 1 hand. ...

Choosing to serve the country in the military sounds pretty damn successful to me.

2235361.jpg
Absolutely. Generally, people take more of an interest in things they pay for than stuff that is just handed to them.
So..what kind of clientele does that leave for the public schools?

What point are you trying to make with that comment?

What an illiterate comment about the profession.

Obviously, you were home schooled.

Read up on the subject before you end any doubt about just how ignorant you are on the subject.

Citizen7 was one of those students who were unprepared and unwilling to learn.

2235361.jpg

Most interesting is the Pct (%) of the "Test Takers" from each population: 84% Public School population takes the SAT Reasoning test, but only 5% "Independent" school attendees took the test. I wonder why? I wonder how the mean scores would compare if only 5% Public School attendees took the test, and 84% Independent attendees?

2235361.jpg

Most interesting is the Pct (%) of the "Test Takers" from each population: 84% Public School population takes the SAT Reasoning test, but only 5% "Independent" school attendees took the test. I wonder why? I wonder how the mean scores would compare if only 5% Public School attendees took the test, and 84% Independent attendees?
You are reading the chart wrong

84+11+5= 100%

That is percent of all students taking the test

2235361.jpg

That's not percent who took the test, that's percent of population. Notice how it adds up to 100%. Also note that if you add up the number of test takers and use it for the divisor for the individual entry's number, you get the number in the Pct column.

Forum List

Back