The Muscle Behind

QuickHitCurepon

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2013
Earth
Have muscle cars or classic cars helped a great deal in your forum posting? If so, let's see the cars that were the inspiration.

I started on forums in 2007 as dusterfury. During that time, I owned this '70 Plymouth Duster 360 for 5 years and for 10 years a '73 Plymouth Fury 425 that looked exactly like the one below my Duster. I don't think I could have kept going without them.

The Duster was a 340, not 360, and Plymouth didn't make a 425, they made a 426 but as I recall, the Fury only came with a 318 or a 383.

I'm still in love with the Chevy Nova 396 I had in high school

I wish I never got rid of it

It was exactly like this car Orange paint and all
1969-chevrolet-nova-ss-396-1.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know that I'm "inspired" but there are some cars I never tire of looking at.
My absolute favorite muscle car. I was in love since I saw it in the movie Better Off Dead.
1967ChevroletCamaroSSblack.jpg

The old lady behind the office has on of these in her barn. It's been there since I was a kid all covered in dust. It belonged to her son. I don't think she knows what she has. I want to offer her some money for it. She turned down an obscene amount of money to lease her land for a new clinic so I doubt it will ever happen.
1968_GTO_Hardtop_Hide_Away_Lamps.jpg

My first car. Mine was gray though. While I would not define this as a muscle car; the engine (Rocket 455) was freaking enormous.
3152849682_bea9867a16.jpg

The Duster was a 340, not 360, and Plymouth didn't make a 425, they made a 426 but as I recall, the Fury only came with a 318 or a 383.

I have a very good friend who was a mechanic for many years at a car dealership in Santa Cruz, CA, and he was the one who told me the Duster is a 360 and the Fury a 425. Both my Duster and my Fury easily went 140 MPH, and IMHO the Duster couldn't have done that if it was a 340. I have never been mechanically inclined in the least and can only rely on what I have been told and heard on the forums and from people I met while driving the Duster.

The Fury was modified by the owner who probably was a policeman since it had a pass sticker on the window from around 1973. For a long time, I thought the pass sticker was from the CHP, but someone set me straight on that.

I have a very good friend who was a mechanic for many years at a car dealership in Santa Cruz, CA, and he was the one who told me the Duster is a 360 and the Fury a 425. Both my Duster and my Fury easily went 140 MPH, and IMHO the Duster couldn't have done that if it was a 340. I have never been mechanically inclined in the least and can only rely on what I have been told and heard on the forums and from people I met while driving the Duster.

The Fury was modified by the owner who probably was a policeman since it had a pass sticker on the window from around 1973. For a long time, I thought the pass sticker was from the CHP, but someone set me straight on that.
Driving those cars at that speed, was extremely dangerous and stupid. I tried and am lucky to be alive.

The 425 reference is likely horse power from 426 motor. But unlikely a fury had the hemi. Likely a 440.

My first car. Mine was gray though. While I would not define this as a muscle car; the engine (Rocket 455) was freaking enormous.

My first muscle car I got in the early 90's for only $950 getting really lucky since it had only 58,000 miles on it. It was a '77 Olds Cutlass Salon Colonnade and also had a rocket engine but a 350 small block yet could spring off the line every time. I finally had to give it to my friend from the car dealership about a year ago, and he still has it, as a work in progress. The Olds got vandalized and an important smog device stolen. When my friend finally fabricated a different part to get it smogged, it was vandalized again and the engine torn apart. It hasn't run since but we have hopes of it returning someday. It still has the original engine and has around 200,000 miles.

Last edited:

The 425 reference is likely horse power from 426 motor. But unlikely a fury had the hemi. Likely a 440.

My friend knows I don't understand the horse power side.

My first muscle car I got in the early 90's for only $950 getting really lucky since it had only 58,000 miles on it. It was a '77 Olds Cutlass Salon Colonnade and also had a rocket engine but a 350 small block yet could spring off the line every time. I finally had to give it to my friend from the car dealership about a year ago, and he still has it, as a work in progress. The Olds got vandalized and an important smog device stolen. When my friend finally modified a different part to get it smogged, it was vandalized again and the engine torn apart. It hasn't run since but we have hopes of it returning someday. It still has the original engine and has around 200,000 miles.
I got the Olds 98 in the mid 90s with 42k miles. It belonged to an old man that had his legs removed due to complications from diabetes. He kept in the the garage for 20 some years and his kids traded it to my dad for some vet work they needed done after he passed away. Unfortunately, my brother borrowed it go to South Padre on spring break and totaled it.:(

My first muscle car I got in the early 90's for only $950 getting really lucky since it had only 58,000 miles on it. It was a '77 Olds Cutlass Salon Colonnade and also had a rocket engine but a 350 small block yet could spring off the line every time. I finally had to give it to my friend from the car dealership about a year ago, and he still has it, as a work in progress. The Olds got vandalized and an important smog device stolen. When my friend finally modified a different part to get it smogged, it was vandalized again and the engine torn apart. It hasn't run since but we have hopes of it returning someday. It still has the original engine and has around 200,000 miles.
I got the Olds 98 in the mid 90s with 42k miles. It belonged to an old man that had his legs removed due to complications from diabetes. He kept in the the garage for 20 some years and his kids traded it to my dad for some vet work they needed done after he passed away. Unfortunately, my brother borrowed it go to South Padre on spring break and totaled it.:(

LOL I also got my Olds from an elderly man in Cupertino, CA. The inside looked brand spanking new because he said his wife only drove it on Sundays and always kept it in the garage. She had recently died.

Driving those cars at that speed, was extremely dangerous and stupid. I tried and am lucky to be alive.

The Duster hell yes but not the Fury unless you are irresponsible.

I don't know that I'm "inspired" but there are some cars I never tire of looking at.
My absolute favorite muscle car. I was in love since I saw it in the movie Better Off Dead.
1967ChevroletCamaroSSblack.jpg

The old lady behind the office has on of these in her barn. It's been there since I was a kid all covered in dust. It belonged to her son. I don't think she knows what she has. I want to offer her some money for it. She turned down an obscene amount of money to lease her land for a new clinic so I doubt it will ever happen.
1968_GTO_Hardtop_Hide_Away_Lamps.jpg

The Duster was a 340, not 360, and Plymouth didn't make a 425, they made a 426 but as I recall, the Fury only caan Oldse with a 318 or a 383.

The Duster hell yes but not the Fury unless you are irresponsible.
If I had to chose which car to drive at that speed, it would not be the Duster with it's rickety front end.

I had several muscle cars ( BTW I do not consider any car built after 1973, a muscle car and certainly not a 98). Had a 73 340 4 speed pistol grip Challenger with modified motor. Got it to 125mph on a straight road at 2am in northern Michigan (deer country) and the whole front end was shaking...now that was dumb...but by the grace of God, I survived.

I have a very good friend who was a mechanic for many years at a car dealership in Santa Cruz, CA, and he was the one who told me the Duster is a 360..

70 Dusters did not come with a 360. That engine wasn't introduced until 1971 and wasn't available in the Duster until 72 (very rare). It replaced the 340 in 74 but the Duster was larger and all the emission control crap was killing the engine performance. Most drag racers preferred the 340 because it had a better bore and stroke and produced more net horsepower than the 360.

The Hemi was a 426 cu. in. with 425 h.p. and it was not available in the Fury, although it would fit if you put it in yourself. Same with the 440 cu. in. with 375 h.p. And the Duster was definitely a 340 cu. in. with 275 h.p., not a 360. It even says 340 on the side of the car.
The 340 was actually a bored out 318 and the 440 was a bored out 383.

I have a very good friend who was a mechanic for many years at a car dealership in Santa Cruz, CA, and he was the one who told me the Duster is a 360..

70 Dusters did not come with a 360. That engine wasn't introduced until 1971 and wasn't available in the Duster until 72 (very rare). It replaced the 340 in 74 but the Duster was larger and all the emission control crap was killing the engine performance. Most drag racers preferred the 340 because it had a better bore and stroke and produced more net horsepower than the 360.

It was a coincidence the lady who owned the Duster at first and before I bought it from a guy at Mountain View Auto Interiors also had lived only a few blocks away in my hometown of Palo Alto, CA, and he had won 1st place with it at Cherry's Jubilee in Monterey, CA. It had been totally rebuilt from bottom to top, and the only thing I needed to do was put in an overdrive, because it was really loud on the freeway in 4th gear. I did have to have the engine rebuilt, but that is another story.

They had to put low profile tires and rims on it to keep it on the road, but the Duster was perfectly dependable to drive.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back