The most racist movies ever made (part 1)

Just reading the thread about Gone With the Wind and its fair to say that librul Hollywood has a pretty shabby record over the years.
My afternoon movie yesterday was The Alamo which I have seen many times before.

Wayne intended the film to be a celebration of courage and glorifying a fight for freedom but there are parts of the film that gloss over the history and make very uncomfortable viewing.

Jim Bowie grants freedom to his slave, s their doom is approaching. The old guy decides that because he is free he will stick by Bowie and fight those baddie Mexicans to death.

Now that might have been the actuality but it was shown without any context. Maintaining slavery was one of the issues that the texans were fighting for. There was no slavery in Mexico at that time and the old guy, Jethro, could have just walked out the gates to a better life at any time.

The film shows an untrue idealistic version of the realities and paints a deceptive version of slavery.

The narrative is - Texas =good, Mexico = bad. And that probably exists to today. Texas was good for some but not for everyone. Santanna was a nasty twat but Texas was Mexican land.

Freedom for Texas meant a future as a dirty slave state and that was not a cause that should be glorified, it certainly should not be covered up with a deceptive act of kindness.

I can still watch the film and enjoy the spectacle but the talky bits between the action leaves me cold. I suspect that it isnt the worst offender if we were making a list.
the most racist and sexist show that I've watched is Have you been served
I think we knew at the time that it was shit.
But it was aired for how many years?

Just reading the thread about Gone With the Wind and its fair to say that librul Hollywood has a pretty shabby record over the years.

Wayne intended the film to be a celebration of courage and glorifying a fight for freedom but there are parts of the film that gloss over the history and make very uncomfortable viewing.

Jim Bowie grants freedom to his slave, s their doom is approaching. The old guy decides that because he is free he will stick by Bowie and fight those baddie Mexicans to death.

Now that might have been the actuality but it was shown without any context. Maintaining slavery was one of the issues that the texans were fighting for. There was no slavery in Mexico at that time and the old guy, Jethro, could have just walked out the gates to a better life at any time.

The film shows an untrue idealistic version of the realities and paints a deceptive version of slavery.

The narrative is - Texas =good, Mexico = bad. And that probably exists to today. Texas was good for some but not for everyone. Santanna was a nasty twat but Texas was Mexican land.

Freedom for Texas meant a future as a dirty slave state and that was not a cause that should be glorified, it certainly should not be covered up with a deceptive act of kindness.

I can still watch the film and enjoy the spectacle but the talky bits between the action leaves me cold. I suspect that it isnt the worst offender if we were making a list.
I think you mean "Are you being served?" . It's pretty funny!
Yes, that's it.

I think we knew at the time that it was shit.
But it was aired for how many years?
Before people became tender snowflakes.

The Alamo was made during the Cold War.
When it was ok to distort the truth ?
Unfortunately, yes. If you have seen the movie then you know that it doesn't deal with any of the actual causes. There is no 'truth'. John Wayne was about as anti-communist as it gets. He was directing. Had there been no Cold War, this film would not have existed.
For most of my life that movie formed my opinion of the Alamo, I suspect that is true for most of the world. Im not looking to get stuff like this banned but there hould be a big warning sign on these movies because they pack a powerful message.
Fear not Tommy

Jeb Bush‘s son who is half mexican and heir to the throne and family business in washington is currently a Texas politician

he wants to turn the Alamo into a guilt-ridden white apologist theme park

if you manage to hang on a few more years you might get to see it

Unfortunately, yes. If you have seen the movie then you know that it doesn't deal with any of the actual causes. There is no 'truth'. John Wayne was about as anti-communist as it gets. He was directing. Had there been no Cold War, this film would not have existed.
For most of my life that movie formed my opinion of the Alamo, I suspect that is true for most of the world. Im not looking to get stuff like this banned but there hould be a big warning sign on these movies because they pack a powerful message.

So, you weren't interested in the Alamo enough to actually research it? Buy a book or two?

No. No warning signs. We don't need them. In fact, we have a plethora of information available that covers "the other" in films, history of films, politics in films, etc. and so on. All that needs to happen is to read it.
I think it was Turner Movie Classics (my basic cable dropped it) that regularly featured a short discussion or intro to old movies that put the film, the making of the film, and the time of the film’s making into context. Not just politically controversial films, but all of them. I loved those intros. I learned a lot. Whether it was about the role of women, the character of actors and the studio process, or just a famous movie line that “stuck” in our culture. It was always interesting.

Afterwards it was usually easy, much more rewarding too, to follow the host’s suggestion: “Now ... let’s all sit back and enjoy the film.“

You cannot apply today's standards to yesteryear movies.
Movies made 60 years ago are going to come from the sensibilities of that time. And that is true in every culture across the globe.

So, you weren't interested in the Alamo enough to actually research it? Buy a book or two?

No. No warning signs. We don't need them. In fact, we have a plethora of information available that covers "the other" in films, history of films, politics in films, etc. and so on. All that needs to happen is to read it.
I think it was Turner Movie Classics (my basic cable dropped it) that regularly featured a short discussion or intro to old movies that put the film, the making of the film, and the time of the film’s making into context. Not just politically controversial films, but all of them. I loved those intros. I learned a lot. Whether it was about the role of women, the character of actors and the studio process, or just a famous movie line that “stuck” in our culture. It was always interesting.

Afterwards it was usually easy, much more rewarding too, to follow the host’s suggestion: “Now ... let’s all sit back and enjoy the film.“
Yes! I don't have it now but I like that channel.

giphy-S.gif

13th amendment

It was a dirty democrat party state that owned slaves....then, Juneteenth...the holiday that will be celebrated, was the freeing of the Texas slaves by the Republican party........after the party defeated the democrats after the democrats started the Civil War to protect their ability to own slaves.

Hollywood, like most major institutions in our country are now completely controlled by the democrat party....... the institutionalized racism of the democrat party effects everything they do.

I
Tommy Twat there would probably think most of John Wayne's movies are WACIST, I love all of his movies, I love older movies in general.
That's because you're an old bastard!
I am 35! I grew up on John Wayne's movies because of my dad and I have REALLY become sick and tired of the political correctness bullshit in 99% of newer movies. Mel Gibson movies I enjoy but not much else. The Newer Death Wish movie I loved as well. My favorite old movie is Its a Wonderful Life. Such a wonderful time to be alive.

How about Harry Who on Get Smart? He was white guy playing a Hawaiian Cop playing a Chinese man. It was supposed to be based on Charlie Chan. Whenever Smart did one of his not so smart antics, who would utter.. "Amazing"!

Forum List

Back