The massive political disconnect between the military and the people

ChairmanGonzalo

Oct 6, 2016
There is a massive divide between the people in our armed forces and the general population of the United States who the military has sworn an oath to protect.

I speak from personal experience as a veteran when I say that the military is reactionary, dominated by privileged white males, and a generally negative place to be for anybody who doesn't subscribe to Fox News.

The sexual assault rate for female servicemembers puts even college campuses to shame:Protect Our Defenders » Military Sexual Assault Fact Sheet

The military is still majority right wing, even as this country becomes more and more progressive and forward thinking: Military no less conservative, but less Republican, survey finds

Speaking from personal experience at numerous Army bases, guess what was literally the ONLY channel played in the DFAC (cafeteria) or hospital waiting area tv's? Yup, it was Fox News.

Christian fundamentalism is rampant in the armed forces:Fundamentalist Religion Rampant in U.S. Armed Forces, Says National Security Expert | Center for Inquiry

In fact, racial and religious discrimination got so bad at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris island that a Muslim recruit was hazed to death by bigoted, violent Drill Instructors: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/us...ines.html?_r=0

No wonder the right wing loves to funnel so much money into the military budget. The military is made up of fundamentalist Christian, deeply racist, and violent misogynistic people like them.

i strongly believe that there needs to be a national overhaul of the military. New, more tolerant and forward thinking commanders need to be appointed, and sexual abuse and racial/religious bigotry needs to be stamped out entirely. Perhaps one way to achieve this is giving an immediate dishonorable discharge to all servicemen charged with sexual assault. Another might be sensitivity training for Drill Instructors about recruits of all different races and faiths. Maybe certain activists from organizations like the ACLU or SPLC could be directly commissioned as Generals, in order to oversee the elimination of the toxic white christian masculinity which has created a poisonous atmosphere in the armed forces.

The bottom line is that while the people of the United States get more educated, become more tolerant and forward thinking, the military is severely lagging behind, and at odds with the people they swore an oath to defend. As I veteran, I can say that this situation needs to be changed, otherwise, we run the risk of having a runaway military completely at odds with the citizens whom it is beholden to, such as in 1930's Japan or 1970's Latin America.

There is a massive divide between the people in our armed forces and the general population of the United States who the military has sworn an oath to protect.

I speak from personal experience as a veteran when I say that the military is reactionary, dominated by privileged white males, and a generally negative place to be for anybody who doesn't subscribe to Fox News.

The sexual assault rate for female servicemembers puts even college campuses to shame:Protect Our Defenders » Military Sexual Assault Fact Sheet

The military is still majority right wing, even as this country becomes more and more progressive and forward thinking: Military no less conservative, but less Republican, survey finds

Speaking from personal experience at numerous Army bases, guess what was literally the ONLY channel played in the DFAC (cafeteria) or hospital waiting area tv's? Yup, it was Fox News.

Christian fundamentalism is rampant in the armed forces:Fundamentalist Religion Rampant in U.S. Armed Forces, Says National Security Expert | Center for Inquiry

In fact, racial and religious discrimination got so bad at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris island that a Muslim recruit was hazed to death by bigoted, violent Drill Instructors: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/us...ines.html?_r=0

No wonder the right wing loves to funnel so much money into the military budget. The military is made up of fundamentalist Christian, deeply racist, and violent misogynistic people like them.

i strongly believe that there needs to be a national overhaul of the military. New, more tolerant and forward thinking commanders need to be appointed, and sexual abuse and racial/religious bigotry needs to be stamped out entirely. Perhaps one way to achieve this is giving an immediate dishonorable discharge to all servicemen charged with sexual assault. Another might be sensitivity training for Drill Instructors about recruits of all different races and faiths. Maybe certain activists from organizations like the ACLU or SPLC could be directly commissioned as Generals, in order to oversee the elimination of the toxic white christian masculinity which has created a poisonous atmosphere in the armed forces.

The bottom line is that while the people of the United States get more educated, become more tolerant and forward thinking, the military is severely lagging behind, and at odds with the people they swore an oath to defend. As I veteran, I can say that this situation needs to be changed, otherwise, we run the risk of having a runaway military completely at odds with the citizens whom it is beholden to, such as in 1930's Japan or 1970's Latin America.

So. First -

How do we know you're a veteran?

The military has been taking its marching orders from a Muslim apologist and an anti-christian for the past 8 years. And it shows. He has demoralized the troops. He has been extremely indecisive and never listens to his generals. We have become a laughing stock because no matter what "red line" he draws or threats he makes, Obama will not carry out on any of them. We are no longer respected.

And you are so worried too many are faithful to God.

So. First -

Because I have a DD 214

No, I won't show it some random stranger online. I don't need to show my personal documents to a right wing reactionary nutjob

So. First -

Because I have a DD 214

Great Googling. A fine talent.

No, I won't show it some random stranger online. I don't need to show my personal documents to a right wing reactionary nutjob

Believe me, I have absolutely no interest in who you are.

So, where exactly do you fall in the pantheon of political tags? I would hate to cause discomfort via the microaggression of labeling you incorrectly.

Also, do you consider yourself to be poor and oppressed in any way?

You might want to review that oath again.

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

So. First -

Because I have a DD 214

So, where exactly do you fall in the pantheon of political tags? I would hate to cause discomfort via the microaggression of labeling you incorrectly.

I consider myself to be in the lower part of the economic spectrum in U.S society, and because I am a person of color, I have faced a certain level of discrimination and more than my fair share of microaggressions, although certainly not to the extent of other, even more marginalized and oppressed ethnic and social groups.

So. First -

Because I have a DD 214

I consider myself to be in the lower part of the economic spectrum in U.S society, and because I am a person of color, I have faced a certain level of discrimination and more than my fair share of microaggressions, although certainly not to the extent of other, even more marginalized and oppressed ethnic and social groups.

That's unfortunate. Are you openly politically active?

So. First -

Because I have a DD 214

Yes I am. Believe it or not, I actually used to vote republican when i was 18 years old, but i quickly got over that phase. I was also a card carrying NRA member for a year, but I canceled my membership as soon as possible after seeing the extreme, almost deranged propaganda the nra fed it's members.

Now, I am debating between voting for Clinton just to stop Trump, or voting for the Green Party: the largest and most influential political party which I wholeheartedly support without many reservations. But I'll probably end up voting green, because I don't live in a swing state.

So. First -

Because I have a DD 214

Yes I am. Believe it or not, I actually used to vote republican when i was 18 years old, but i quickly got over that phase. I was also a card carrying NRA member for a year, but I canceled my membership as soon as possible after seeing the extreme, almost deranged propaganda the nra fed it's members.

Now, I am debating between voting for Clinton just to stop Trump, or voting for the Green Party: the largest and most influential political party which I wholeheartedly support without many reservations. But I'll probably end up voting green, because I don't live in a swing state.
Yeah, you would support institutional corruption and some fringe nut job that thinks its her civil right to deface private property.
Go Mao!

Because I have a DD 214

Yeah, you would support institutional corruption and some fringe nut job that thinks its her civil right to deface private property.
Go Mao!
Jill Stein was protesting the expansion of a gas pipeline which would CONTAMINATE DRINKING WATER and also destory SACRED NATIVE AMERICAN BURIAL SITES

With Arrest Warrants Issued, Jill Stein Says Campaign 'Proud' of Pipeline Protest

So. First -

Because I have a DD 214

Such a highly believable statement I've never seen.

Definitely green.

Go Mao!
Jill Stein was protesting the expansion of a gas pipeline which would CONTAMINATE DRINKING WATER and also destory SACRED NATIVE AMERICAN BURIAL SITES

With Arrest Warrants Issued, Jill Stein Says Campaign 'Proud' of Pipeline Protest
She said it was her CIVIL RIGHT to deface private property. You don't think other Americans ever had to relocate their ancestors? Give me a fucking break!

Just because the majority of military folk disagree with you, bed wetter. Lol

Here's what baffles me . A lot of these righty military types shit on gov workers even though THEY are gov workers !

They just convince themselves that they are somehow different .

sensitivity training for Drill Instructors

Bwahahahahahahaaaaaaa! That's the funniest thing I think I've ever read on this board outside the humor section.

Sensitivity training for Drill Instructors! Haaaaaaaaaaa. Cracks me up every time I read it. Would make a great SNL skit.

1379186293_oie_angermanagement.gif

So. First -

It's obvious he is

images

Here's what baffles me . A lot of these righty military types shit on gov workers even though THEY are gov workers !

They just convince themselves that they are somehow different .

When you take your first driving test you will learn young one.

Forum List

Back