The Manhattan Prosecution has Lost CNN

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
The lie Cohen was caught in, perhaps seemingly small in comparison to the frequency and scope of his history of lying in the past, completely destroys the narrative that he is now reformed, chastened by his time in the slammer and now only desiring to tell the truth in order to bring Donald Trump to justice. CNN calls it Donald Trump’s “best day so far.”

Cohen appeared to be tripped up over an account of a call he’d previously said under oath was to discuss Trump’s hush money payment to adult film Star Stormy Daniels. It emerged under questioning on Thursday that, at least to begin with, the topic of the call was about another matter entirely.

It was the kind of inconsistency that Trump’s attorneys can use to try to sow reasonable doubt about Cohen’s truthfulness and credibility in the mind of a single juror. That’s all it would take for Trump to walk. And now, the prosecution faces a stiff challenge in repairing the damage when they get to their redirect examination of Cohen’s testimony following the close of cross-examination next week. “I think what happened today still is so devastating they have to do something,” Ryan Goodman, a professor at NYU Law, told CNN’s Erin Burnett. “If the case ended today and there were final statements, I think there would not be a conviction.”

CNN could have spun this, if they had wanted to. They could have said something like, “the defense attorney attempted to belabor what it claimed was an inconsistency in Cohen’s story, but Cohen remained steadfast.” Instead, they call it devastating to the case.

Whether CNN spins or takes the high road for once, doesn’t change the facts of the case, but it may well affect the non-sequestered jury. It may also affect the prosecution and the judge, leading the prosecution to offer only a weak opposition the motion for a directed verdict, and possibly leading the judge to direct such a verdict.

That last option is nearly impossible, due to the judge’s financial interests in making sure that the jury, not himself, declares Trump not proven guilty. So if the prosecution does not fight the motion to direct the verdict, they will be throwing the judge under the bus.

This is a part that surprised me:

Another day of testimony from Cohen, the prosecution’s critical witness, came as the case hurtled toward its climax with the judge telling lawyers to be ready to deliver summations as early as Tuesday. That means it’s feasible the jury will retire to consider its verdict in the first criminal trial of a former president sometime after Memorial Day and just five months before Trump hopes to reclaim the White House.

Is the judge expecting the defense to put on no case? It would make sense. The prosecution finally sprung the booby trap it set for itself by making Michael Cohen its star witness. The defense attorneys will have a hard time keeping Trump from taking the stand if they put on a case.

It's sketchy standing alone but the exercize was designed right from the beginning to provide enough for one juror at least.
I think Trump can walk on this one. This is not a good opportunity for Biden to demonstrate presidential power.

There's time left and lots more opportunities to keep Trump away from interfering in America's war against Russia.

It's sketchy standing alone but the exercize was designed right from the beginning to provide enough for one juror at least.
By “the exercise” you mean the cross examination? The one in which your star witness changed his claim of what he said on the phone call to him believing that’s what happened?

One juror? if one juror votes to convict, then that juror must’ve been a stealth juror. there’s no way to convict Trump, based on what has been presented, especially in light of the star witness being caught in a lie about the key phone call.
I think Trump can walk on this one. This is not a good opportunity for Biden to demonstrate presidential power.
I agree, I guess. I’m not sure what you mean. How would you envision Biden exercising his presidential power in this case?
There's time left and lots more opportunities to keep Trump away from interfering in America's war against Russia.
Oh sure, the Democrats are not gonna stop their dirty tricks. The last thing they want is for the voters to have a chance to pick the president this year.

If they can, they will pick the one who will not allow America to go to war against Russia. We love our kids too much for that.

By “the exercise” you mean the cross examination? The one in which your star witness changed his claim of what he said on the phone call to him believing that’s what happened?

One juror? if one juror votes to convict, then that juror must’ve been a stealth juror. there’s no way to convict Trump, based on what has been presented, especially in light of the star witness being caught in a lie about the key phone call.

I agree, I guess. I’m not sure what you mean. How would you envision Biden exercising his presidential power in this case?

Oh sure, the Democrats are not gonna stop their dirty tricks. The last thing they want is for the voters to have a chance to pick the president this year.

If they can, they will pick the one who will not allow America to go to war against Russia. We love our kids too much for that.
I would agree, with the single problem that every juror seated is a rabid anti-Trumper. We'll know when the verdict is read.

Anyone notice who has avoided this trial like a welfare recipient avoiding a job fair?

Alvin Bragg.

He’s a smart guy. I guess he’s one of the few Harvard graduates who didn’t get his degree through DEI and plagiarism.

He never wanted to prosecute this case in the first place. When the Biden DOJ pressured him to push it since they were not ready with theirs, he must’ve said “send one of your guys to do the dirty work, and we will give it to the grand jury.”

Now he has fulfilled his election promise to go after Trump, while not having to associate himself with a person like “Honest Mikey” Cohen.

I would agree, with the single problem that every juror seated is a rabid anti-Trumper. We'll know when the verdict is read.
I hope you are wrong, but I fear that you are right.

It would be interesting to see if Merchan has the balls to send Trump to prison.

Forum List

Back