The Lifelong Benefits of Sport

because if you tried to push any of your little bullshit stories in that crowd, it would not have gone well for you at all. Not everyone is as patient and forgiving as me.

I believe the rich cried Class Warfare when FDR passed the New Deal. Then the rich spent all their time and energy trying to undo the New Deal ever since.

So if it was class warfare when he passed the New Deal, then it must be class warfare when they try to undo the New Deal. Wake up dummy.

Are you seriously a full time teacher? You seem more like a full time USMB poster.
The topic of this thread is sport. Stop trolling.

because if you tried to push any of your little bullshit stories in that crowd, it would not have gone well for you at all. Not everyone is as patient and forgiving as me.
Funny because I run into old college wrestlers who remember me well. I don't remember them but they remember me. I was a bad mofo. Weighed 150 and benched 350, squat 410 and deadlift 505. I only started wrestling my 10th grade year of high school. Even though a few of the guys at my weight could beat me, they all knew it was because I hadn't wrestled as long as they had. I was a beast! I remember guys in the All State line walking into the Kellogg center they were saying they wish they look

Another interesting part of seeing so many old friends and teammates again was seeing how they have passed their love of sport, competition, and fitness along to their children. Some of the guys brought their kids along with them.

Another interesting part of seeing so many old friends and teammates again was seeing how they have passed their love of sport, competition, and fitness along to their children. Some of the guys brought their kids along with them.

We all pass our love of sports, competition and fitness along to our kids. I say kids because I have nephews.

How come you didn't bring your kids? Did you pass your love of sports on to them? You never told us what sports they play and if they are good.

So how can you tell they all have passed their love of sports, competition, and fitness along to their kids? Do all their kids compete? None of their kids play video games too much? They all play sports? What did they all say to you for you to determine this? Did you interview everyone? I bet you're a lot of fun at parties.

We all pass our love of sports, competition and fitness along to our kids. I say kids because I have nephews.

Nephews are not your children. All of my brother's kids were there, but that does not count as "my kids." If you had children, you would know very well the difference.

Who said I didn't?
You never mentioned it. You said other people did not "a lot of us"

And you didn't answer my question. How did you determine every person there passed on their love of sports to their kids? Sounds like you interviewed everyone. Did everyone pass your test? You're not always the teacher. Like here it's you who gets schooled.

... How did you determine every person there passed on their love of sports to their kids? .....
I did this thing that real people sometimes do in the real world: I talked to them.

Lessons of sports:
  • Hard work can breed success, even where there is relative a lack of talent (applies to almost everything),
  • Talent can only take you so far, but
  • At the top levels (e.g., professional sports), everyone is talented far beyond anything the normal participant can even imagine.
  • Being part of a team can be good or bad. A lot of people are jerks.
  • It is always good to challenge yourself and try to get better/stronger/more durable.
  • The people who whipped you at age 16 will probably still whip you at 60. Reversing that dominance is one of life's true pleasures.
  • Strenuous sports devolve over time from trying to get "better" to trying to survive and continue, when your body is telling you to stop.
  • The best sports are the ones that you can play until you die. Like golf, bowling, tennis and its variations.
  • Exercise can be fun, but it's not a sport. Which is why CrossFit is bullshit,
  • Playing a sport forces you to confront your shortcomings. You can tell yourself you are "good," but competition is the true test. Fortunately, for most sports there are levels of competition for everyone.
  • You can get into a lot of arguments about what constitutes a "sport."

Lessons of sports:
  • Hard work can breed success, even where there is relative a lack of talent (applies to almost everything),
  • Talent can only take you so far, but
  • At the top levels (e.g., professional sports), everyone is talented far beyond anything the normal participant can even imagine.
  • Being part of a team can be good or bad. A lot of people are jerks.
  • It is always good to challenge yourself and try to get better/stronger/more durable.
  • The people who whipped you at age 16 will probably still whip you at 60. Reversing that dominance is one of life's true pleasures.
  • Strenuous sports devolve over time from trying to get "better" to trying to survive and continue, when your body is telling you to stop.
  • The best sports are the ones that you can play until you die. Like golf, bowling, tennis and its variations.
  • Exercise can be fun, but it's not a sport. Which is why CrossFit is bullshit,
  • Playing a sport forces you to confront your shortcomings. You can tell yourself you are "good," but competition is the true test. Fortunately, for most sports there are levels of competition for everyone.
  • You can get into a lot of arguments about what constitutes a "sport."
1. Most people weren't great when they first started. Everything thinks they were which pisses them off because they don't appreciate how much work they put in to getting that good.

2. Talent can only take you so far. True. You have to be hungry. Look at Lebron. So talented. More talented than Jordan. Still Jordan is the GOAT. Work ethic. Kobe worked hard too.

3. It's amazing to watch someone like Barry Sanders making the other pros look like college players.

4. Team sports suck. That's why I quit them and strictly wrestled. One on one sport but you also have teammates which is cool. But them sucking doesn't cause you to lose. Except maybe your team loses but you personally won that night.

5. I was the toughest kid in my highschool. Muscular when most boys weren't. And I was a 17 year old senior. I was stronger than the seniors when I was a freshman. In their 20's, those scrawny guys filled out. I bet some of them would be different today than they were back then. Some people mature later.

6. In wrestling, towards the end, I got so many nose bleeds. I almost had to get my nose cauterized. Enough! Am I going to go pro and make millions? Then time to stop. Wrestling got me into college. Mission accomplished.

7. I like riding my Ebike. It may not be a sport like Lance Armstrong riding is a sport but it's a lot of fun exercise. So I guess I'm just training for the tour de france. Not playing a sport. If we were racing would that make it a sport?

Forum List

Back