The Lifelong Benefits of Sport

This weekend I had a rare opportunity to spend some time with a few hundred of the outstanding people I have had the good fortune to know over many, many decades through sport. As diverse a group as you could imagine, now active in every field you can imagine. Great, honorable, family men all.

Many of the benefits of participation in sports last a lifetime. These are not only physical.
Wrestling season kicks off tomorrow! New assistant coach, new bunch of wrestlers, like starting over from scratch. So begins the challenge!

The first week is always interesting to see how many of the kids who come out for the team decide to stick it out.

What is used to decide who makes it on the team?
That's one of the great things about wrestling. I don't "choose" who competes for the team at each weight class. The wrestlers compete with each other for the starting spot. Whoever wins, wins.

First day of practice. A good bunch of kids, most starting out fresh. Working hard, learning a lot. This is what sport is all about.

That's the way it should be. It's the type of competition I like to watch. :thup:
And during the year someone might ask unkotare if they can challenge for the spot. He may even allow a kid to challenge once a week. But i don’t recall ever being challenged twice by the same guy. But the coach encourages challenges. We’re always wrestling anyways may as well mean something.

Whatever pays more. I just found out my brother makes $1 million dollars a year. We're at his cabin up north. He said, "did you hear all those VP's on the conference call?" they all make about a million a year.

They do HR. So what job means more, HR or your job? Clearly HR if top HR people make 1 million dollars a year. CLEARLY.

And they pay teachers so little that there is a problem that no one's going into it. So clearly Republicans don't value you. Democrats and unions might agree with you but you vote against those.

Anyways, it doesn't go HR, Teachers then Salespeople that make more than Teachers. You don't get to cut in between us because you think you are righteous or something. That's ridiculous.

Our society values every job by how much it pays. Anyone who makes more than you MEANS more to you to this society. Otherwise you'd make a million and my brother would make what you do.

And I make more than you. So my job means more to this society. This company anyways. But you don't understand the private sector.
People who constantly feel the need to brag about how much they make are really only showing off their insecurities. And I wonder if you feel that way every time you need a cop or a nurse or a firefighter.

Yeah, like peaking at age 16. ;)

But I get your point. I just wish there was HALF as much emphasis on academics as there is on sport.
I get where you’re coming from, sports get all the glory and funding. I remember in high school they actually canceled the drama program one year in order to pay for holographic printing on the football tickets. That was pretty messed up.

But when you think about it, the vast majority of the emphasis *is* on academics. Most of the time spent in HS and college is in the classroom, and athletic scholarships do have academic requirements.

Sports teach lessons about camaraderie, fair play and hard work that are equal to anything learned in the classroom.

People who constantly feel the need to brag about how much they make are really only showing off their insecurities. And I wonder if you feel that way every time you need a cop or a nurse or a firefighter.
what are you a communist? If they wantEd more money they should have went into the private sector.

Yes in real life all my pals who always talk about what other people make are insecure. Or lying when they talk about what they make.

But I’m not lying or insecure.

Good group of kids this year. Teaching everything about wrestling in English and Spanish is tricky after a few seasons off for Covid, but at least I don't have to contend with Igbo so far.

It is rewarding to see kids who just started in the sport a few weeks ago now making real improvement and gaining in confidence. With a few competitions under their belts, they are starting to believe in themselves. This is the kind of change that can carry over into all aspects of their lives. The power of sports to change lives.

For those student-athletes fortunate enough to have parental support, it is also great to see moms and dads proud of their kids even as they struggle to figure out just what the hell is going on. When my wife makes snacks and such for the kids on the team for after competition the parents are so happy. Maybe because that at least is something they understand.

Forum List

Back