The Liberal Assault on Merit

From the thread:

"13. .... in an NPR story last year: “Even the lowest-paid immigrants scrape up enough money for tutoring, because those high schools are seen as the ticket to a better life” for their children. Thus, one immigrant family featured in the NPR story had spent $5,000 per year, of the parents’ combined $26,000 income as garment workers, to send their three sons to tutoring.

Their oldest boy, now a student at Stuyvesant, said of his mother, who did not speak English and, like her husband, did not finish high school in China:
“Basically, she just worked every day . . . and saved up the money.”
The Plot Against Merit by Dennis Saffran, City Journal Summer 2014

You Liberals would be well advised to look to apply the above to your destructive welfare policies.
Recipients should not be held to any less.

You post that as if it's a good thing. Disgusting.

It is a good thing.

It demonstrates that a family CAN do what it needs to do when it wants to.

Heck, when I was broke, I worked 7 days a week....2 jobs PLUS going to the library studying up on how to start a business..(we did not have internet back then).

The first 2 years of my business, I made very little money, but never saw a day off.

I sold it after 5 years....and then started 2 more.

Rags to riches....cause I wanted to.

If struggling to survive and suffering the pain and stress and hardship of deprivation and poverty is a good thing,

what's the bad thing at the other end of the spectrum?

A life of privilege and ease and plenty, with little effort to obtain it,

much as in the life PoliticalChic lives????

Read the thread idiot.

No one has claimed test RESULTS being manipulated until you just did. Again, post a link proving your position.

The manipulation occurs when some students can hire professional tutoring schemes to artificially jack up their scores by doing one thing and one thing only -

training the kids on how to take that one specific test.

"...some students can hire professional tutoring schemes...."

13. .... in an NPR story last year: “Even the lowest-paid immigrants scrape up enough money for tutoring, because those high schools are seen as the ticket to a better life” for their children. Thus, one immigrant family featured in the NPR story had spent $5,000 per year, of the parents’ combined $26,000 income as garment workers, to send their three sons to tutoring.

Their oldest boy, now a student at Stuyvesant, said of his mother, who did not speak English and, like her husband, did not finish high school in China:

Obviously, all students can hire professional tutoring schemes....

It is a good thing.

Heck, when I was broke, I worked 7 days a week....2 jobs PLUS going to the library studying up on how to start a business..(we did not have internet back then).

The first 2 years of my business, I made very little money, but never saw a day off.

If struggling to survive and suffering the pain and stress and hardship of deprivation and poverty is a good thing,

To me, being broke and with no one to lean on was the greatest thing that ever happened to me. It motivated me to do what I had to do.

I am not saying poverty is a good thing. I am saying that the motivation created by having nowhere to turn is priceless....

it opens ones mind to possibilities
It allows one to be more creative
it allows one to apply all of ones talents
it forces one to FIND those talents
It forces one to reach back

Poverty sucks....I experienced it.

But it is what made me who I am today. Retired and barely 55.

No one has claimed test RESULTS being manipulated until you just did. Again, post a link proving your position.

The manipulation occurs when some students can hire professional tutoring schemes to artificially jack up their scores by doing one thing and one thing only -

13. .... in an NPR story last year: “Even the lowest-paid immigrants scrape up enough money for tutoring, because those high schools are seen as the ticket to a better life” for their children. Thus, one immigrant family featured in the NPR story had spent $5,000 per year, of the parents’ combined $26,000 income as garment workers, to send their three sons to tutoring.

No they can't, and why should they have to? It's a public school; your ability to succeed is supposed to be equality of opportunity isn't it?

Isn't public school supposed to offer equal opportunity regardless of one's ability to pay?

It is a good thing.

Nonsense. There is nothing good about an American family with 2 earners making 26,000 a year, in what sounds like a sweatshop scenario,

and on top of that having to spend 20% of their income just to get their kids a decent education.

Nothing.

That's the problem.

You don't see a family busting their asses so their children can get a good education as a good thing.

Well, it is. Like it or not.

It is a good thing.

To me, being broke and with no one to lean on was the greatest thing that ever happened to me. It motivated me to do what I had to do.

I am not saying poverty is a good thing. I am saying that the motivation created by having nowhere to turn is priceless....

Well then taking away all Medicaid and taking away free public education should be one of our first steps in this mission to build character among the poor shouldn't it?

I mean, trying to survive a disease or injury that your parents cannot afford treatment for should be the greatest thing that might ever happen to a child, don't you think?

No they can't, and why should they have to? It's a public school; your ability to succeed is supposed to be equality of opportunity isn't it?

Isn't public school supposed to offer equal opportunity regardless of one's ability to pay?

That's another story.

Blame the teachers.

Where I live, they charge between 65 and 90 an hour to tutor. They have permission to tutor as long as they offer 1/2 hour a day after school hours for general extra help. SO by 3:30, most of them are out and tutoring for cash.

So yeah, only the rich get the advantage of tutors.

You blame the rich for that? Not the teachers?

You know, if being poor and having to fight your way up the ladder towards success is such a good thing,

why do so many parents of lesser means put so much energy into trying to see that their children DON"T have to do that?

Well then taking away all Medicaid and taking away free public education should be one of our first steps in this mission to build character among the poor shouldn't it?

I mean, trying to survive a disease or injury that your parents cannot afford treatment for should be the greatest thing that might ever happen to a child, don't you think?

Oh. I see.

You don't want to debate.

You don't want to understand the oppositions position.

You just want to act like an ass.

Never mind. No interest in your spin and hyperbole. Forget I even responded to you.

How is that SHSAT test results manipulated link search coming NYC? No luck on my search.

That's another story.

Blame the teachers.

Where I live, they charge between 65 and 90 an hour to tutor. They have permission to tutor as long as they offer 1/2 hour a day after school hours for general extra help. SO by 3:30, most of them are out and tutoring for cash.

We are talking about a test that kids take to get into special schools. These sorts of tests are now notorious for being susceptible to being trained to.

They do it on SATS now too. You pay someone to train you for the test. It doesn't make the kid smarter, in a general sense, it doesn't make him a better candidate.

It only makes him a better test taker for that specific test.

How is that SHSAT test results manipulated link search coming NYC? No luck on my search.

there is no doubt an standardized testing is unfair to the less fortunate.

Where I live, you cant walk a block without seeing a dozen ads for SAT tutors...

The financially less fortunate can not afford what they charge. That is a given. Heck, even I thought twice before paying for my kids to be tutored....but I did it.

That's another story.

Blame the teachers.

We are talking about a test that kids take to get into special schools. These sorts of tests are now notorious for being susceptible to being trained to.

They do it on SATS now too. You pay someone to train you for the test. It doesn't make the kid smarter, in a general sense, it doesn't make him a better candidate.

It only makes him a better test taker for that specific test.

I agree with this 100%.

I see it.

So you have no link, because you made it up.

Letters of recommendation can't be altered, faked? That was your big solution. Fail.

Liberal New York City decided to create specialized high schools, now they complain the racial profile isn't acceptable. Why is there a problem? Well the test they created to select students doesn't have the desired outcome.

I just provided proof that every child has the ability to pay for what they, and their family, deem important.

The question will surely break down along the usual lines: Liberals, equality of numbers is the only consideration.

Normal folks: merit should be rewarded.

Who determines "merit"? That's a massive gray area that conservatards will undoubtedly exploit ceaselessly as they continue to oppress womyn and minorities by whatever means necessary.

Numbers don't lie. Only numbers matter. Are you saying that statistics are wrong? Or merely that they're right, but you refuse to acknowledge this fact in public because it disagrees with your antiquated world view?

That's another story.

Blame the teachers.

"So yeah, only the rich get the advantage of tutors."

Flushing, Queens is almost completely Asian.

I heard a radio caller from Flushing say that on weekends, it is nearly impossible to find an available seat in the libraries.

Seems, there are all sorts of tutors.....many, free.

there is no doubt an standardized testing is unfair to the less fortunate.

Where I live, you cant walk a block without seeing a dozen ads for SAT tutors...

The financially less fortunate can not afford what they charge. That is a given. Heck, even I thought twice before paying for my kids to be tutored....but I did it.

Test results manipulated = test scores tampered with. There is no record of that.

How is standardized testing unfair? The calculus question was skewed to whites? Shakespeare's sonnets were withheld from Asian kids? Monet slides missed the Latino district? These are specialized schools. You attend them because you have a specific interest.

I can understand an SAT being unfair, if your school doesn't offer calculus or doesn't teach proper English vocabulary. It costs what? $35 to take a practice SAT?

There are many many ways to help the poor in this situation. Lowering standards is not a helpful one.

Forum List

Back