The Kerry Effect

Kerry might have taken it if he took the Swift boat liars a little more seriously

Not liking something someone says doesn't make it a lie. Everything they said was dead on true. But seriously, you think they were Kerry's weakness? They had little to do with the outcome of the election, they just caused a lot of liberal fur to fly. Kerry's biggest weaknesses were that he was a compulsive liar and he ran a blame America first campaign. Other then liberals, no one likes that.

A few Republicans have told me "Perry is dumb. He says dumb things." That's their words, not mine. I don't know anything about the guy so I'm going to watch the debates on Wednesday.

I think Perry has got a shot because I think the Republicans have a real shot. But I think Romney has a better chance if he gets through the primaries.

Not really.

First, about 20% of the population will never vote for a Mormon. Polls have born this out for the last few decades. (And, yes, I'm part of that 20%)

Secondly, Romney is really a shitty candidate. Ted Kennedy beat him by 17 points in 1994, when the country was throwing out Democrats left and right.

He won in 2002 (a Good GOP Year in the wake of 9/11) but he only got 49% of the vote against a non-entity. (quick, can you name his democratic opponent without Wiki... I remember it was a woman... Ann something. I'll look it up later.) That was after spending 7 million of his own money, an unprecedented amount for the time on a state race.

In 2006, he opted not to run, but Devall Patrick was leading him by double digits in the polls. So he would have lost that one.

Then you get 2008. With Talk Radio pulling for him, with spending 43 million of his own money. How many primaries did he win? Three. Michigan (His dad's old state) Mass (his state) and Utah (Mormon Central). That was it. Against John McCain (RINO) and Mike Huckabee.

THird, he gives up some of the best arguments against Obama. ObamaCare? Well, he did the BetaVersion. Unemployment. Kind of hard to make that argument when you were the guy handing out pink slips to make your investors richer. "He looks like the guy who lays you off" Huckabee famously said about Romney, and he was right.

Quite often, after President Bush won his reelection, I've asked the people who voted for him the second time around, "why did you vote to reelect him?", and their answer always came back..."Because the Democrats put up Kerry as their candidate".....

Is Obama going to win his reelection in 2012 due to the "Kerry Effect"?

Due to there not being a strong, energetic, and charismatic Republican candidate that can pull Democrats over to vote for him?

He could. Look at Perry, the newest guy Republicans have wood for, or do they ? There is a yacht club ware I work now and again. At some point, any republican politician who wants the big Texas dollars will come and do a meet and greet and ask for money. Perry should have been there already, but has not shown up yet. I dont think folks are as jazzed up about him as the media makes them out to be.

You..I like.

You may have different ideas then me..but you aren't seeing the world through tea colored glasses.

:clap2:

Quite often, after President Bush won his reelection, I've asked the people who voted for him the second time around, "why did you vote to reelect him?", and their answer always came back..."Because the Democrats put up Kerry as their candidate".....

Due to there not being a strong, energetic, and charismatic Republican candidate that can pull Democrats over to vote for him?

Kerry might have taken it if he took the Swift boat liars a little more seriously. But even with that the election was pretty close.

United States presidential election, 2004 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I won't go into the swift boat thing becasue the msm has "swift boated":lol: your mind.

however Kerry had a lot against him, on a personal appeal level he was stiff, to, uhm, Upper crust Brahmin/stentorian, he was on his second heiress who had her own issues that didn't help, he was of the 'bubble', and a gay friend of mine sent me a e mail after Edwards cracked on Cheney daughter saying that was low, very low and same when kerry mentioned it, it was classless....

McCain suffered same, on a personal level he was just slightly more appealing than kerry and bushs screw ups were not enough at the time to sour people to the point where in they would just say screw it and vote for kerry if not already decided....

He could. Look at Perry, the newest guy Republicans have wood for, or do they ? There is a yacht club ware I work now and again. At some point, any republican politician who wants the big Texas dollars will come and do a meet and greet and ask for money. Perry should have been there already, but has not shown up yet. I dont think folks are as jazzed up about him as the media makes them out to be.

is that the Yacht club were Kerry registered his Boat to avoid Massachusetts taxs?

Kerry might have taken it if he took the Swift boat liars a little more seriously

Not liking something someone says doesn't make it a lie. Everything they said was dead on true. But seriously, you think they were Kerry's weakness? They had little to do with the outcome of the election, they just caused a lot of liberal fur to fly. Kerry's biggest weaknesses were that he was a compulsive liar and he ran a blame America first campaign. Other then liberals, no one likes that.

Aw crap..really? So the government lied when it handed Kerry a mess of medals...eh?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7vCGm33HAU]Kerry Grills Swift Boat Donor - YouTube[/ame]

FactCheck.org: Republican-funded Group Attacks Kerry's War Record

Aw crap..really? So the government lied when it handed Kerry a mess of medals...eh?[/url]

FactCheck.org: Republican-funded Group Attacks Kerry's War Record

This actually seemed like a good argument to you? You read my post and pulled out of your ass that I said the medals were a "lie?" You typed it in, re-read it, said "yep" and clicked enter? Seriously?

A few Republicans have told me "Perry is dumb. He says dumb things." That's their words, not mine. I don't know anything about the guy so I'm going to watch the debates on Wednesday.

I think Perry has got a shot because I think the Republicans have a real shot. But I think Romney has a better chance if he gets through the primaries.

Not really.

First, about 20% of the population will never vote for a Mormon. Polls have born this out for the last few decades. (And, yes, I'm part of that 20%)

Secondly, Romney is really a shitty candidate. Ted Kennedy beat him by 17 points in 1994, when the country was throwing out Democrats left and right.

He won in 2002 (a Good GOP Year in the wake of 9/11) but he only got 49% of the vote against a non-entity. (quick, can you name his democratic opponent without Wiki... I remember it was a woman... Ann something. I'll look it up later.) That was after spending 7 million of his own money, an unprecedented amount for the time on a state race.

In 2006, he opted not to run, but Devall Patrick was leading him by double digits in the polls. So he would have lost that one.

Then you get 2008. With Talk Radio pulling for him, with spending 43 million of his own money. How many primaries did he win? Three. Michigan (His dad's old state) Mass (his state) and Utah (Mormon Central). That was it. Against John McCain (RINO) and Mike Huckabee.

THird, he gives up some of the best arguments against Obama. ObamaCare? Well, he did the BetaVersion. Unemployment. Kind of hard to make that argument when you were the guy handing out pink slips to make your investors richer. "He looks like the guy who lays you off" Huckabee famously said about Romney, and he was right.

My guess is that 20% of the population - or more - would never vote for a black guy as well.

Also, when he won the governorship in MA, every single other Republican statewide lost.

I'm not a fan of Romney. I think he'll say whatever he needs to say to get elected. His cowtowing to the evangelicals in 2008 was ridiculous. But the reason why I think he would win the Presidency is because of all the candidates running, he is the most successful and competent in business. He is a very good operator, and this country right now more than anything needs competence. I'm willing to be open-minded about Perry, but his initial comments - like those about Bernanke and the Fed - lack sense, and demonstrate a serious lack of gravitas, which is the opposite of what we need.

Last edited:

The Republicans don't need to "pull democrats over," they just need their base and a good chunk of independents. If a fair number of disaffected liberals and rightly offended special interest groups sit it out (along with the stoned college kids who won't be motivated by bullshit slogans again for at least a generation) that's a bonus.

Not really.

My guess is that 20% of the population - or more - would never vote for a black guy as well.

Also, when he won the governorship in MA, every single other Republican statewide lost.

I'm not a fan of Romney. I think he'll say whatever he needs to say to get elected. His cowtowing to the evangelicals in 2008 was ridiculous.
But the reason why I think he would win the Presidency is because of all the candidates running, he is the most successful and competent in business. He is a very good operator, and this country right now more than anything needs competence. I'm willing to be open-minded about Perry, but his initial comments - like those about Bernanke and the Fed - lack sense, and demonstrate a serious lack of gravitas, which is the opposite of what we need.

agreed. he can walk a fine line when he has to, what many seem to forget is EVERY candidate in EVERY party appeals to those who are more motivated during the primaries, then they tac back to center when they have the nomination, thats the way it works. they all kowtow, every single one of them, the thing is to try and parse when they are kowtowing and when they are serious. Romney like kerry has major flip flop issues that perry will use and perry having his own issues Texas and the good ole boy thang, will suffer for that.

They both have to walk the fine line, slimmer appeal in the primaries then broader appeal there after and its never a gimme, it can always blow up in their faces, and of course the media is not much of a wild card, you'll see them focus in turns on whomever they think is the bigger threat to obama.

I consider myself ripe for a moderate rep. who isn't whacky on social issues ( remembering that social issue sin the media are not covered the same way any social issue the reps surface will be portrayed as wacky even if its not) but strong in economics and defense.

my vote is up for grabs and if they both suck, I'll think on it, hard.

I may hold my nose and vote rep. only, because Obama is such an ideologue, and hes a broken reed, example- I voted for Clinton over Dole because he was not an ideologue and Dole was tired and disconnected and I didn't think a unified all rep. gov. was the answer either, but then again in Nov. 08, , I may just write in ron paul again and take my lumps either way.

Last edited:

Aw crap..really? So the government lied when it handed Kerry a mess of medals...eh?

Boy you can tell the ones who never served in the military when they make comments like this...

Kerry got medals because the officers know how to game the system. An EM never would have gotten purple hearts for injuries that minor.

But that wasn't the issue the Swift Vets had with Kerry. The issue they had with him was he slandered them after the war.

bugs-bunny-maroon.jpg

Boy you can tell the ones who never served in the military when they make comments like this...

Kerry got medals because the officers know how to game the system. An EM never would have gotten purple hearts for injuries that minor.

But that wasn't the issue the Swift Vets had with Kerry. The issue they had with him was he slandered them after the war.

bugs-bunny-maroon.jpg

He didn't slander shit.

Vietnam was a war crime and a slaughter house.

You..I like.

You may have different ideas then me..but you aren't seeing the world through tea colored glasses.

No I dont. I install bent mahogany banisters, and I do carpentry on $430,000 yachts. I work for rich folks, and no matter there political bent, they will always talk politics at you. Through small talk with customers you get a sense that there is a split among the Texas money people.

This could be the Obama Effect.

When it comes to why the people (will have) voted for the GOP candidate, the answer is VERY likely to be "because your Party put President Obama up for RE-election."

I have a hunch that this is a crowning Democrat Party mistake.

The same poll that got the 22% of people willing to admit that they wouldn't vote for a Mormon had only 5% say they wouldn't vote for a black. Now, I suspect both numbers are much higher, but the fact is, the 5 (or 20)% who wouldn't vote for a black guy tend to not vote for Democrats in general.

But the 22% who say they wouldn't vote for a Mormon transcends party lines. 18% of Republicans, 19% of independents and 27% of Democrats.

Bad News For Mitt Romney: 22% Of Americans Won

Also, when he won the governorship in MA, every single other Republican statewide lost

Again, sort of meaningless. He only won by 49% against a non-entity. Keep in mind, this is the guys ONLY success.

I'm not a fan of Romney. I think he'll say whatever he needs to say to get elected. His cowtowing to the evangelicals in 2008 was ridiculous. But the reason why I think he would win the Presidency is because of all the candidates running, he is the most successful and competent in business. He is a very good operator, and this country right now more than anything needs competence. I'm willing to be open-minded about Perry, but his initial comments - like those about Bernanke and the Fed - lack sense, and demonstrate a serious lack of gravitas, which is the opposite of what we need.

I dread when I hear the word "Gravitas". It's one of those liberal code words I have no use for.

I also have always wondered about this bit of silliness that being a success in business would automatically translate into a successful presidency. If that were the case, Bush-41, bush-43 and Carter would have all been great presidents, because they were successful businessmen.

Of course, it doesn't work that way. Someone obstructs you in the business world, they don't have jobs very long. Someone obstructs you in politics, they get to be the favorite guest on The Daily Show and MSNBC.

You..I like.

No I dont. I install bent mahogany banisters, and I do carpentry on $430,000 yachts. I work for rich folks, and no matter there political bent, they will always talk politics at you. Through small talk with customers you get a sense that there is a split among the Texas money people.

Hmm..that must be a Texas thing.

I've sat in board rooms with CEOs and Executives and rubbed elbows with them at parties.

Most of them seem pretty apoltical. My experience though is the New York Wallstreet scene.

He didn't slander shit.

You hysterical lefties just love to squeal "war crime" over everything of which you don't approve. And, have you never heard kerry's comments after he returned?

He didn't slander shit.

You hysterical lefties just love to squeal "war crime" over everything of which you don't approve. And, have you never heard kerry's comments after he returned?

So you support massacres of entire villages and gang rapes of little girls? That if they are not Americans..correct?

Yes or no.

Bush absolultely deserved re-election. The country was generally pretty prosperous and he had instituted measures that were decimating al Qaeda. Kerry couldn't articulate any good reason why he should be elected.
As for this one, if you dont think Perry is articulate and charismatic you haven't seen him speak.
But a deaf-mute could win over Obama in a debate today.

Forum List

Back