The History of Nurse Ratched Explained: A Primer for Ryan Murphy’s New Netflix Series

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Ratched finds Murphy returning to the world of horror, psychological horror to be exact, with his own take on Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. Not only that, but he’s brought American Horror Story staple — and one of the show’s longtime fan-favorite cast members — Sarah Paulson along with him. But, before you start your full-blown binge of the new series, we’ve put together a guide that breaks down everything you need to know about Murphy’s new show, including its original source material and the multiple adaptations that have stemmed from it over the years.
The Book That Started It All
It all began in 1962 with a novel written by Ken Kesey. Set in a psychiatric hospital in Oregon, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest is narrated by Chief Bromden, a patient at the hospital who pretends to be deaf and mute in order to fly under everyone’s radar. However, life at the hospital begins to change once a man named Randle McMurphy is admitted after faking insanity to avoid doing time at a prison work farm. He’s a rambunctious character that challenges the hospital’s way of life, especially disrupting the commanding atmosphere upheld by the head nurse, Nurse Ratched.

I'm binge watching this show. I don't want to but it has Vincent D'Onofrio and Sarah Paulson. They are both really good. There are actually a lot of good actors on this show. I usually don't watch this stuff; however, it's like a train wreck and I can't stop.

The Kesey book set in motion that crazy people should be allowed to be out and about in society.

What other incidental characters in fiction should get their own Netflix spin-off?

How about a reboot of "The Price is Right" with this guy?

97a6c5f3e61b5d8aea7fa8054ead9ed3.jpg

In Kesey's novel McMurphy was a big red headed Irishman. Jack Nicholson played the part pretty well in the movie though. Unless you are a wild eyed patient similar to those nut cases in the book I don't know how in the world you can visualize Sarah Paulson as Nurse Ratched. Maybe lefties have some psychotic aversion to attractive women named Sara or Sarah such as Paulson and Palin.

Last edited:
The Kesey book set in motion that crazy people should be allowed to be out and about in society.

That's kind of like arguing that Uncle Tom's Cabin ended slavery.

Mental hospitals ended because liberals thought locking people up for mental illness was a violation of their civil rights, and conservatives didn't want to spend the money treating them on an outpatient basis.

Disney just did a whole movie about Cruella De Ville.... yes, we needed to see what trauma happened to this woman where she grew up to want to murder and skin puppies.

Let me guess ... she had an epiphany about the evils of wearing puppies, was redeemed and became Grupenfurher of PETA?

I like the old Disney movies where the villain suffers an ironic, and often excruciating punishment.

Let me guess ... she had an epiphany about the evils of wearing puppies, was redeemed and became Grupenfurher of PETA?

I like the old Disney movies where the villain suffers an ironic, and often excruciating punishment.

I've only seen plot summaries.. but my understanding is that it's a female empowerment movie where she one-ups her even more psychotic boss.... who used Dalmatians to kill her parents.

Forum List

Back