Louise Fletcher (Nurse Ratched), Who Won an Oscar for ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,’ Dies at 88

Magnus

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2020
Louise Fletcher, the imposing, steely-eyed actress who won an Academy Award for her role as the tyrannical Nurse Ratched in “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,” died at her home in France on Friday. She was 88.

The American Film Institute later named Nurse Ratched as one of the most memorable villains in film history and the second most notable female villain, surpassed only by the Wicked Witch of the West in “The Wizard of Oz.”

Louise Fletcher, the imposing, steely-eyed actress who won an Academy Award for her role as the tyrannical Nurse Ratched in “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,” died at her home in France on Friday. She was 88.

The American Film Institute later named Nurse Ratched as one of the most memorable villains in film history and the second most notable female villain, surpassed only by the Wicked Witch of the West in “The Wizard of Oz.”

88.......not bad....a life long lived...I hope it was a happy one for her, and I hope she has found peace.

She played in Maverick back in the late 50s.

4ZMBJTr5zQvBU4_ppSzA7UudLr3A4M6P56-trs0nK2o.jpg

But that trigger finger!

A young Hillary Clinton would have nailed that role and Nurse Ratched.

Hillary isnt even close to being as kind and compassionate as Nurse Ratched…….

Last edited:
Yeah, that was a great role written for that nurse character.
And that actress nailed it.
An Oscar well deserved.

But the movie, Cuckoo's Nest.....well, it has one of the half-dozen 'favorite-movie-scenes' in my little memory.
I don't want to detract from the actress...but it was the 'Juicy Fruit' scene with just Nicholson and the 'Chief'. The actress/nurse wasn't in it.
It's been years since I saw it last. But it is burned in my memory.

RIP Louise Fletcher. Very sad!

She was an excellent actress.

In many movies, she played a classic villain.
I remember her as the evil grandmother from Flowers in the Attic 1987.
She played Nurse Ratched excellently.

I blame Biden.

Grandmother Olivia Foxworth is a fictional yet very realistic portrayal of a 1950s family tyrant. She is extremely abusive both physically and emotionally. She viewed herself as righteous, and she viewed her daughter's secret children as the Spawn of the Devil.

Louise Fletcher was a genius in playing villains. In the 1987 film "Flowers in the Attic", she was Grandmother Olivia Foxworth.

As for myself -- we did not buy a VCR player until 1997. Nevertheless, at least since 1988, the University Library had several VCR players which could be rented for an hour at a time. Of course I did not have money to buy a VHS film, but I could rent one. I watched "Flowers in the Attic" several times. I did not watch "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" until 1998.

Forum List

Back