The GX-7 Driver (Golf)

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
My computer screen has been inundated of late with advertisements for the GX-7 driver. Briefly said, the claims are that its use can improve accuracy and add distance to both tee shots and shots from the fairway.

A search for "honest" consumer comments led me to a site called the Sandtrap (or something like that), where the discussion included one of the designers of the club, who clarified that this club is not really intended for "good" golfers, but rather for older guys with "slow" swing speeds, who tend to spray their tee shots. For THOSE guys, the club can help to improve accuracy and MIGHT add a few yards to their tee shots.

I bought one. I am an 18-handicap, and my best drives are in the 215-220 yard range, using a Taylor Made Burner driver. There is a 60-day money-back guarantee.

The key to the club is that it is not swung like a driver, but rather like a 7-iron. That is, it is NOT placed in the front of the stance, where the club face is on a slightly upward trajectory when the ball is hit, but rather the ball is placed mid-stance, where the ball is actually struck like an iron (loft is 16 degrees). The shaft is a couple inches shorter than a typical driver, so that the ball is placed slightly closer to the golfer. The sole of the club is also like a 7-iron, which facilitates using it the same way as a traditional 3-wood, off the turf.

I took it out yesterday and it pretty much works as advertised. I lost 10 yards or so on my tee shot, but every one was in the 'short grass.' Fairway shots were low "line drives," but had noticeably more roll-out than with a three-wood (my worst club). The club head is heavier than my Burner, but it has a nice feel. The little bit of lost distance is undoubtedly because the shaft is shorter, but I think I can make that up with a little bit of practice with the club.

Again, it is intended, basically, for old men who have diminished club-head speed, and tend to spray their tee shots. If you hit the ball 220 or longer, and don't have any trouble keeping it in the fairway, this club would be a waste of money. It sells for about $200, shipping included.

Now if I could only get them to stop cluttering up my screen with ads for the club...

Forum List

Back