The Gun Control Debate will continue until we find solutions that make sense for people on both sides of the issue.

I'm politically non-partisan so I try to see both sides of the issue. And I see how someone on the "gun rights" side would think that.

But my question to you is, "Why would their goal be to take guns away from law abiding citizens and not criminals?"

Like I stated in my original post, most large cities that have high gun violence rates are run by democrats. So I tend to agree that it seems somewhat hypocritical that this debate surfaces every time there is a suburban mass shooting or a school shooting INSTEAD of bringing the issue up every time there's a shooting in their cities. And that furthers my point that in order for both sides to (at least) respect the other sides viewpoint, inner city gun violence needs to be drastically reduced.

Because government wants power. Citizens having guns limits that power.

/——/ It’s the best way to communicate with libs.
View attachment 790611
aopp87azuu3b1.jpg

Gun control is a legal, philosophical and moral issue.

About half the country wants to live in a society where citizens have the right to buy and carry firearms. Given our country's history, many of them raise valid points. Our country was founded because of a revolution against England and would not have won that war had the citizens not had firearms. Most people back then lived in rural areas where having firearms was essential for both protection and hunting. (Which still holds true in many areas throughout the country, especially in smaller communities and very rural areas where it could take the police a very long time to respond)

Our country also has had somewhat of a violent past, if you think of the Wild West, the Civil War, and numerous other wars internationally. So "Gun Culture" is somewhat embedded in a large part of American Society.

The other half of the country wants to live in a society where most (if not all) firearms are used primarily for hunting purposes but rarely for self defense reasons. They've witnessed the alarming amount of gun violence that's plagued many of the cities throughout the country for decades now. They've also witnessed the increased amount of mass shootings and school shootings over the past few decades. They're also tired of fearing for their lives over road rage incidents, bar fights, sporting event fights, etc etc.

The debate over gun control will likely continue until people on both sides of the issue have a reason to "change" their opinion on the matter.

A good start (in my humble opinion) would be figuring out a way to drastically reduce inner city gun violence. How do you do it? Well, let's take a look at why there's so much violence in some of our cities. It's common knowledge that a large part of the violence is related to various networks of illegal drug trade, human trafficking and various other criminal enterprises.

Our current "War on Drugs" has been going on for 50+ years, yet the violence in most cities hasn't decreased. Is it time for a different approach? Decriminalization of possessing a small amount of drugs could be a start. Decriminalization is NOT legalization. It would simply treat drug possession cases as a civil infraction instead of a criminal infraction. It would also do wonders for our Criminal Justice System, incarceration rates, facilities, etc. It would likely save billions of dollars, which then could be used for rehabilitation programs, etc. Rehabilitating people involved with drugs, instead of sending them to prison, where many come out even more violent than when they went in.

Think of it like this: If you're a drug dealer or drug user, you won't go to jail for the drugs you possess but you will likely face heavy jail time for possessing a gun. The smart ones will likely figure it out pretty quickly and not carry guns. If you're a police officer, how much better would it feel knowing that the drug dealer you just pulled over probably won't shoot you, since he knows he won't go to jail for drugs. Decriminalization won't necessarily end the higher level trafficking but it certainly could help with the street-level drug trade. And could likely drastically reduce street-level gun violence.

The first thing that comes into the minds of gun advocates nowadays when a progressive talks about gun regulation, etc is, "They want to regulate our guns when most of the gun violence is in the cities and they can't even get that under control, despite heavy regulation in many cities". And they have a valid point. BUT if pro-gun culture folks see that inner city gun crime has finally been reduced, would they be more willing to listen to the other side of the argument? I would think so.

There are many other ways to help resolve the gun control issue within the US, including better education, better mental health programs and various other programs that can gradually change our "gun culture".

Mandatory background checks, including gun shows and private trade should be standard. I would also look into mental health screenings, classes, tests, etc If we need to take a class and a test to drive a car, we should require something similar to possess a firearm. I (and I'm assuming most people) would want the peace of mind knowing that if someone legally owns a gun, they are: A. Mentally stable. and: B. They know how to safely use it.

My 2 cents.
I recall that when the Israelis implemented a policy of, "if you commit a terrorist attack against us, your family's home will be demolished." It has been quite effective in reducing the amount of terrorist attacks by individuals. The rockets still fly into Israel, but Israel responds with their own more accurate rocket fire. Anyway, if a criminal is caught with a "stolen" gun, the residence where he/she lives, should be sold at auction and monies go to victims of violence. If they are in housing or apartments, the family should be thrown out. Make the law very publicly known and it would give the low-life scum second thoughts on having one in their possession if they thought they just might get caught and parents would pressure them not to have one.

I recall that when the Israelis implemented a policy of, "if you commit a terrorist attack against us, your family's home will be demolished." It has been quite effective in reducing the amount of terrorist attacks by individuals. The rockets still fly into Israel, but Israel responds with their own more accurate rocket fire. Anyway, if a criminal is caught with a "stolen" gun, the residence where he/she lives, should be sold at auction and monies go to victims of violence. If they are in housing or apartments, the family should be thrown out. Make the law very publicly known and it would give the low-life scum second thoughts on having one in their possession if they thought they just might get caught and parents would pressure them not to have one.

You missed the mark. Criminal minds tell them that the next time, they won't get caught.

Yeah punishing an entire family for the crimes of one person seems just to me. (NOT)

Isn't that what gun control freaks want to do to law abiding gun owners?

Yeah punishing an entire family for the crimes of one person seems just to me. (NOT)

Isn't that what gun control freaks want to do to law abiding gun owners?
It also wouldn’t likely be effective against Judeo-Christian Americans. Arab loyalties are first to family, then clan, then religion and lastly to society/nation. So threats to family are effective. Westerners have a different priority.

WRong. We aren't the ones threatening an armed "Revolution"
I am a law abiding gun owner and not threatening an armed revolution. There are a great many here and they aren’t as well.

As an older guy pushing 60 my body doesn’t work like it use to and I would like to have some measure of protection if I encounter an illegal gun owner Wishing harm.

It sucks when you take a hostage and they take your gun away and kick your asse. You MAGAts are just pathetic.
Listen asshat I have never held anyone hostage and I know this will make that tiny brain of your explode buy I am not a republican and you can find posts of mine where I have called Trump a fucking idiot.

But you are one of those small minded 2 dimensional thinkers that actually believe ALL gun owners are responsible for ALL crimes committed with guns

So tell me if I use your logic then if you are a man that YOU are responsible fore ALL rapes committed by men right?

Listen asshat I have never held anyone hostage and I know this will make that tiny brain of your explode buy I am not a republican and you can find posts of mine where I have called Trump a fucking idiot.

But you are one of those small minded 2 dimensional thinkers that actually believe ALL gun owners are responsible for ALL crimes committed with guns

So tell me if I use your logic then if you are a man that YOU are responsible fore ALL rapes committed by men right?

LOL, lie, more.

You use logic? Since when, pissant.

LOL, lie, more.

You use logic? Since when, pissant.
So you think it is logical to say that ALL gun owners are responsible for ALL crimes committed with guns and you are so fucking stupid that you can't see that that in itself is illogical.

You do love to put your idiocy on display don't you?

So you think it is logical to say that ALL gun owners are responsible for ALL crimes committed with guns and you are so fucking stupid that you can't see that that in itself is illogical.

You do love to put your idiocy on display don't you?

That's the problem you MAGAts have. I have no idea why you are asking me about anything when you are just going to make shit up and talk to hear yourself talk. We used to lock your mental midgets up until you got the medication right.

That's the problem you MAGAts have. I have no idea why you are asking me about anything when you are just going to make shit up and talk to hear yourself talk. We used to lock your mental midgets up until you got the medication right.
/-----/ "I have no idea why you are asking me about"
TRANSLATION: Gun grabbers think disarming law-abiding citizens will stop criminals from shooting people.
Hope that helps.

Once again I never voted for Trump never will vote for Trump but it obviously hurts your tiny brain because you are intellectually handicapped.

Forum List

Back