The Greatest Pain in your Life

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I recently had the experience of having to rapidly warm my hands from extreme cold (everything's relative; I'm a wuss). If you have experienced it, you know that this can be VERY painful. It brought to mind something that happened several years ago. I had been riding my motorcycle one winter day, and at the end of the ride, despite having good gloves, by hands were "frozen."

Because I had to go out to dinner shortly after, I had to jump in the shower to get cleaned up. The pain in my hands caused by the warm water on by frozen hands was excruciating...I would say, the worst physical pain I have every experienced.

In my life, other occasions of great pain have been caused by carpentry mistakes with a hammer (you know what I mean), and a small number of basketball injuries, when I came down other peoples' feet from high-clying jumps, thereby turning my ankle.

My wife guessed that my worst would have been the time when I got my hand (2 fingers) crushed in a snow blower, and I actually fainted from that pain, but it actually seemed muted for some reason while it was going on. Strange. I was in shock, I guess.

Aside from childbirth, what have been your most physically painful moments?

I recently had the experience of having to rapidly warm my hands from extreme cold (everything's relative; I'm a wuss). If you have experienced it, you know that this can be VERY painful. It brought to mind something that happened several years ago. I had been riding my motorcycle one winter day, and at the end of the ride, despite having good gloves, by hands were "frozen."

Because I had to go out to dinner shortly after, I had to jump in the shower to get cleaned up. The pain in my hands caused by the warm water on by frozen hands was excruciating...I would say, the worst physical pain I have every experienced.

In my life, other occasions of great pain have been caused by carpentry mistakes with a hammer (you know what I mean), and a small number of basketball injuries, when I came down other peoples' feet from high-clying jumps, thereby turning my ankle.

My wife guessed that my worst would have been the time when I got my hand (2 fingers) crushed in a snow blower, and I actually fainted from that pain, but it actually seemed muted for some reason while it was going on. Strange. I was in shock, I guess.

Tough to say, I have a very high tolerance for pain, which has been a blessing and a curse (since I sometimes don't know if damage has been done).

I'd say migraines are probably tops or near tops. No other pain have I asked God to make it stop or take me to his kingdom, as is it so debilitating I welcomed it.

I do recall injury the clavicle in my shoulder while going heavy at the gym when in university. My gf at the time told me to head to the doctor and really I should have, but I simply stayed away from the gym for about a month (I am definitely the type that dislikes medication or even doctors visits).. Only time I had missed even one or two workouts, let alone a month.

THAT was a hell of alot of pain, it was constant, and it was relentless. I hope you don't feel your current pain in the future. I would suggest next time, let your blood flow return first and feel a bit warmer before pressing it.

Gout in both legs. Just a breeze put me in severe pain on a scale from 1-10 it was a 10. On crutches for years until I was forced to retire.
Stayed flat on my back for one year for it to finally get to the point where I could walk with out pain.

Pancreatitis. That is a special kind of pain.

One time I wrecked in an ATC race and broke my wrist in 3 places. But it hurt more when the doctor put it in traction. He put my fingers in these finger traps and hung a bunch of weights from my bicep.

Then it hurt even more post-surgery after they had to drill 2 steel pins in there and I didn't get my prescription pain medication until after the brachial plexus nerve block wore off.

I'm a bit surprised no one has yet to mention childbirth.

I personally didn't experience it ... but it certainly appeared to be painful.

4221396001_5418781888001_5418770155001-vs.jpg

I didn't think of passing kidney stones. I have been spared but a few friends of mine have gone through it and described the pain very artfully. And the bad thing is that if you get one, there are likely to be more them in the future.

I didn't think of passing kidney stones. I have been spared but a few friends of mine have gone through it and described the pain very artfully. And the bad thing is that if you get one, there are likely to be more them in the future.

Again and again and again. No fun.

Tough to say, I have a very high tolerance for pain, which has been a blessing and a curse (since I sometimes don't know if damage has been done).

I'd say migraines are probably tops or near tops. No other pain have I asked God to make it stop or take me to his kingdom, as is it so debilitating I welcomed it.

I do recall injury the clavicle in my shoulder while going heavy at the gym when in university. My gf at the time told me to head to the doctor and really I should have, but I simply stayed away from the gym for about a month (I am definitely the type that dislikes medication or even doctors visits).. Only time I had missed even one or two workouts, let alone a month.

THAT was a hell of alot of pain, it was constant, and it was relentless. I hope you don't feel your current pain in the future. I would suggest next time, let your blood flow return first and feel a bit warmer before pressing it.
Yeah. Migraines are the worst. When I was young I would get them and was hospitalized on three occasions. The pain was excruciating and the idiot doctors thought I was a junky or had meningitis. I’ve had three spinal taps for meningitis, only I never had meningitis. Thankfully I only had a handful of really bad ones and haven’t had one in a long time.

I'm a bit surprised no one has yet to mention childbirth.

I personally didn't experience it ... but it certainly appeared to be painful.

View attachment 447799

That’s an understatement.

There’s an experiment in The Netherlands, in which labour/childbirth pains are simulated through an electrical device strapped on to male volunteers. With the wives as grinning onlookers.

You could try it if you like. :dev3:

Forum List

Back