The flying car from The Jetsons is here

james bond

Gold Member
Oct 17, 2015
merlin_176273232_e5e3e9f1-0df9-4313-9ffc-75c38299fc1d-superJumbo.jpg

"

In the 1880s, the first automobile was developed and about two decades later, the Wright brothers in North Carolina invented the first successful airplane. Today, the world is closer to combining those two concepts as a Japanese tech company said it completed a manned test flight of a “flying car.”
The company, SkyDrive, said in a news release on Friday that it had completed a flight test using “the world’s first manned testing machine,” its SD-03 model, an electrical vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) vehicle. The flight time was four minutes, the company said.
The aircraft has one seat and operates with eight motors and two propellers on each corner. It lifted about 3 meters (or about 10 feet) into the air and was operated by a pilot, the company said.

Tomohiro Fukuzawa, SkyDrive’s chief executive, said on Saturday that five years ago there were various prototypes of flying cars, usually with fixed wings. SkyDrive’s product, he said, was one of the most compact in size and was lighter compared with other designs.

There are several companies developing similar technology, including Boeing and Airbus, as well as automakers Toyota and Porsche. In January, Hyundai and Uber announced they were collaborating on an all-electric air taxi."

"

In the 1880s, the first automobile was developed and about two decades later, the Wright brothers in North Carolina invented the first successful airplane. Today, the world is closer to combining those two concepts as a Japanese tech company said it completed a manned test flight of a “flying car.”
The company, SkyDrive, said in a news release on Friday that it had completed a flight test using “the world’s first manned testing machine,” its SD-03 model, an electrical vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) vehicle. The flight time was four minutes, the company said.
The aircraft has one seat and operates with eight motors and two propellers on each corner. It lifted about 3 meters (or about 10 feet) into the air and was operated by a pilot, the company said.

Tomohiro Fukuzawa, SkyDrive’s chief executive, said on Saturday that five years ago there were various prototypes of flying cars, usually with fixed wings. SkyDrive’s product, he said, was one of the most compact in size and was lighter compared with other designs.

There are several companies developing similar technology, including Boeing and Airbus, as well as automakers Toyota and Porsche. In January, Hyundai and Uber announced they were collaborating on an all-electric air taxi."

The future of George jetson may just be right around the corner,going from a cartoon show to the real world.lol

"

The future of George jetson may just be right around the corner,going from a cartoon show to the real world.lol
I don't think that one will have room for Jane, Judy and his boy, Elroy, not to mention Astro.

"

Ah what exactly keeps a dislodged prop from severing the brain of the moron?

For longer than I have been alive, we have been on the brink of seeing a “Flying Car” come to market. This has been an empty promise since before I was born, and I expect that it will remain unfulfilled by the time that I shuffle off this mortal coil.

The Moller Skycar, for example, has been in development since some time in the 1960s, I think.

I believe that there are many practical reasons why a “Flying Car” will never become common, and will never take the place of conventional land-bound vehicles.

For longer than I have been alive, we have been on the brink of seeing a “Flying Car” come to market. This has been an empty promise since before I was born, and I expect that it will remain unfulfilled by the time that I shuffle off this mortal coil.

The Moller Skycar, for example, has been in development since some time in the 1960s, I think.

I believe that there are many practical reasons why a “Flying Car” will never become common, and will never take the place of conventional land-bound vehicles.
Well, we already have airplanes and helicopters. Aren't they essentially "flying cars"? I think the main problem is that we can't handle the traffic from millions of people flying around in limited spaces.

Well, we already have airplanes and helicopters. Aren't they essentially "flying cars"? I think the main problem is that we can't handle the traffic from millions of people flying around in limited spaces.

I suppose we need to define what a “Flying Car” is.

We've had heavier-than-air aircraft since the Wright Brothers flew their first example in late 1903. But from then, up through today,I do not think there is any aircraft that you can buy, that you can park in your driveway, take off from home (unless you happen to live in a neighborhood like this one), and land in the parking lot of your workplace, or your local supermarket. Aircraft can generally only take off and land in places designated for that purpose, and then you'd need some other transportation to connect each end of your trip to the original source and destination.

I'd have to say that an important defining feature of a “Flying Car” would be that ability to take off and land anywhere that you could park a normal automobile. Another would be for it to be suitable as a primary/sole means of transportation between your home, and anywhere else you generally need to go, such as your workplace,or a shopping facility, or whatever.

Now, for longer than I've been alive, there have been inventors with craft under development, which they claimed would become available any time now. Moller's been in that business for half a century, and has yet to produce a viable prototype.

I don't think traffic is the problem. There's more room in three dimensions, than in two. Whatever traffic we can manage in two dimensions,confined to designated roads, I should think could be managed to better effect, if all those cars were not confined to just the roads, and not confined to just the ground.

The primary problem that I see has to do with cost and reliability. If a ground-bound automobile breaks down, then it and its driver and passengers, at worst, are stranded wherever the breakdown happens to occur. If an aircraft breaks down, while it is in the air, it cannot remain in the air. The consequences of an aircraft breaking down are likely to be more adverse and serious than of an automobile breaking down. For this reason, as it is now, aircraft have to be built to much stricter standards of reliability, and they are subject to much stricter maintenance requirements. If automobiles had to meet the reliability and maintenance standards that aircraft must meet, I think this, in itself, would render them unaffordable for the vast majority of people who now own and operate them.

A much higher level of training is required, also, to pilot an aircraft, compared to what is required to operate an automobile. Part of this, again, is due to the greater consequences of crashing an aircraft, compared to crashing a car, but also because much more complexity is involved in operating a vehicle in three dimensions, than in two.

I suppose we need to define what a “Flying Car” is.

We've had heavier-than-air aircraft since the Wright Brothers flew their first example in late 1903. But from then, up through today,I do not think there is any aircraft that you can buy, that you can park in your driveway, take off from home (unless you happen to live in a neighborhood like this one), and land in the parking lot of your workplace, or your local supermarket. Aircraft can generally only take off and land in places designated for that purpose, and then you'd need some other transportation to connect each end of your trip to the original source and destination.

I'd have to say that an important defining feature of a “Flying Car” would be that ability to take off and land anywhere that you could park a normal automobile. Another would be for it to be suitable as a primary/sole means of transportation between your home, and anywhere else you generally need to go, such as your workplace,or a shopping facility, or whatever.

Now, for longer than I've been alive, there have been inventors with craft under development, which they claimed would become available any time now. Moller's been in that business for half a century, and has yet to produce a viable prototype.

I don't think traffic is the problem. There's more room in three dimensions, than in two. Whatever traffic we can manage in two dimensions,confined to designated roads, I should think could be managed to better effect, if all those cars were not confined to just the roads, and not confined to just the ground.

The primary problem that I see has to do with cost and reliability. If a ground-bound automobile breaks down, then it and its driver and passengers, at worst, are stranded wherever the breakdown happens to occur. If an aircraft breaks down, while it is in the air, it cannot remain in the air. The consequences of an aircraft breaking down are likely to be more adverse and serious than of an automobile breaking down. For this reason, as it is now, aircraft have to be built to much stricter standards of reliability, and they are subject to much stricter maintenance requirements. If automobiles had to meet the reliability and maintenance standards that aircraft must meet, I think this, in itself, would render them unaffordable for the vast majority of people who now own and operate them.

A much higher level of training is required, also, to pilot an aircraft, compared to what is required to operate an automobile. Part of this, again, is due to the greater consequences of crashing an aircraft, compared to crashing a car, but also because much more complexity is involved in operating a vehicle in three dimensions, than in two.
There may be more room in three D, but the ways that a person can crash has increased greatly.

AVE-Mizar-1973-N68X-3_cxrop.jpg

We've had flying cars before ... just we used a damn Ford Pinto ... wrong is so many ways ...

As I take “Flying Car” to be defined, this is still somewhat outside of that definition, closer to what I have seen described by the term “roadable aircraft”—an aircraft that still needs an airport to take off and land, but which can be driven on roads. This isn't really quite that; as I understand, the aircraft part of it was detachable, and could be left behind at the airport while the car was driven on the road. In function, this might be the closest thing we're likely to see to a true “Flying Car”; you'd be able to park the car at home, and leave from home, but you'd have to drive it to an airport, where the aircraft portion would be stored, attach the aircraft portion to the car, then you could fly from that airport to one closer to your destination, detach the aircraft portion, leave it at that airport, and drive to your destination.

Two instances of this craft were built. It suffered from repeated structural failures, and eventually, killed its inventor in a crash. I have a difficult time seeing how it would be possible for a craft that depends on two parts that can be quickly attached and detached in this manner could not be subject to such serious structural and safety problems. If the aircraft part can be quickly and easily detached on the ground, to free the car for driving on the road, then what's to keep it from unintentionally detaching while in flight?

"

The Japanese are redeeming the year 2020! God Bless 'em!!

"

We have had flying cars for several centuries
They are called helicopters

My idea of the perfect flying car is one that looks like a car (no wings), can rise to a height of 400ft., travels at a speed of 100mph., has a travel distance of 200 miles on a tank of standard fuel, can simply rise and lower, with no need for a runway, can park in a typical space in a parking lot or street and can hold a minimum of three people, plus luggage.

Forum List

Back