CDZ The Eleven Nations of the USA

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
I found this interesting in that it is one of the few analysis of the USA I have seen that does not look at ethnicity but instead to the predominant cultural values of the US by county.

This is not a new article, but it seems fairly conspicuous in its break from our normal obsession with race and ethnicity.

What do you all think about his break down of the US cultural subdivisions?

Opinion | The Maps That Show That City vs. Country Is Not Our Political Fault Line

upload_2019-2-12_4-9-46.png

Sectionalism isn’t, and never has been, as simple as North versus South or an effete and domineering East against a rugged, freedom-minded West. Rather, our true regional fissures can be traced back to the contrasting ideals of the distinct European colonial cultures that first took root on the eastern and southern rims of what is now the United States, and then spread across much of the continent in mutually exclusive settlement bands, laying down the institutions, symbols and cultural norms later arrivals would encounter and, by and large, assimilate into.

Understanding this is essential to comprehending our political reality or developing strategies to change it — especially as we approach a momentously consequential midterm election.

Tracing our history, I’ve identified 11 nations, most corresponding to one of the rival European colonial projects and their respective settlement zones. I call them Yankeedom; New Netherland; the Midlands; Tidewater; Greater Appalachia; Deep South; El Norte; the Left Coast; the Far West; New France; and First Nation. These were the dominant cultures that Native Americans, African-Americans, immigrants and other vital actors in our national story confronted; each had its own ideals, assumptions and intents.​

I think these Coloonial era spawned cultural divisions have been slowly fading while the divide between what I call 'Small town/Rural/Outer Suburban' vrs 'Major Urban/Immigrant' is growing more sharply contrasting.

About 90% of Americans live in cities or towns smaller than Fort Worth Texas (only 45 million live in the top 35 cities), and their values tend to be more and more similar among whites, and this includes middle class Hispanics and culturally assimilated black people as well. This is the most important new divide in US politics today, but this older colonial spawned cultural divide is significant as well, but less so in the post world war two era when we all try to speak like Iowans.

There have always been regional differences, but to portray them as separate nations is absurd.

The term "nation" does not necessarily connote sovereign countries.
Amerindian tribes are separate autonomous nations within the USA. That is one reason Amerindians are not necessarily citizens or eligable to vote.

Nevada is definitely exploited as most of our territory is still owned by the federal government.

Forum List

Back