The disappointment of James Webb

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
Don't be fooled by the post title. The Webb telescope is something of a miracle. However I fear that it has only confirmed what we already suspected. The New, deeper look at the Universe reveals....." More of the same" .... Sure we can see a little farther back but in doing so all we really do is discover a new wall beyond which know nothing more than we did before. I'm not sure if I am satisfied or terrified.

Jo

Don't be fooled by the post title. The Webb telescope is something of a miracle. However I fear that it has only confirmed what we already suspected. The New, deeper look at the Universe reveals....." More of the same" .... Sure we can see a little farther back but in doing so all we really do is discover a new wall beyond which know nothing more than we did before. I'm not sure if I am satisfied or terrified.

Jo

You'll never see/know everything. That is humbling huh? And if everything is expanding, eventually we won't see any stars in the sky. They'll all be too far away.

We're still getting images and data from Hubble and that was lunched in what, 1990? We're just getting started with Webb. I think it'll be a worthwhile investment in the end.

But, but, but....All those pretty pictures.....Well worth the 10 billion.....Right?

Oddly enough that would have been just enough to have built a wall along the whole of our southern border.....Cost overruns and priorities!

It was supposed to cost 500 million.

We're still getting images and data from Hubble and that was lunched in what, 1990? We're just getting started with Webb. I think it'll be a worthwhile investment in the end.
I can't find the details but I heard since Webb we launched 3 telescopes and they will be spaced millions of miles from each other and then we point them all at one place and come up with how old the universe is. We have the big bang THEORY but nothing to test it against. So they came up with another way to come up with the age of the universe and it says the universe is 13.2 billion years old. Compared to 13.8 billion. We think that's close enough but really it's not. So if we put 3 telescopes out in space and millions of miles apart, we will be able to do this alternate test better and hopefully it comes closer to 13.8

Jo

Has Webb reached that wall yet? ... do you have a citation? ... this news would have bled into commercial media ...

Confirming what we expect is why we build Webb ... we have to actually see the wall before we can say ... for sure ... there's a wall ... and it helps when we go to characterize this wall ...

The great hope from the success of the LIGO Experiment is that, at scale, we'll be able to "see" past this wall into the very early universe ... before atoms formed ... woot ...

Has Webb reached that wall yet? ... do you have a citation? ... this news would have bled into commercial media ...

Confirming what we expect is why we build Webb ... we have to actually see the wall before we can say ... for sure ... there's a wall ... and it helps when we go to characterize this wall ...

The great hope from the success of the LIGO Experiment is that, at scale, we'll be able to "see" past this wall into the very early universe ... before atoms formed ... woot ...
I suppose my reference is a bit premature. I'm basing it on Webb images that are former Hubble images showing nothing but now showing ....the same.....not sure what I expected but I think "same" was not it. Your explanation that finding the "same" is also a goal....is somewhat comforting though.

Jo

Certainly..... I think I was so focused on finding something new that I didn't
Prepare myself for "Same".
However as on poster noted above confirming that is also a goal.

Jo

I can't find the details but I heard since Webb we launched 3 telescopes and they will be spaced millions of miles from each other and then we point them all at one place and come up with how old the universe is. We have the big bang THEORY but nothing to test it against. So they came up with another way to come up with the age of the universe and it says the universe is 13.2 billion years old. Compared to 13.8 billion. We think that's close enough but really it's not. So if we put 3 telescopes out in space and millions of miles apart, we will be able to do this alternate test better and hopefully it comes closer to 13.8
How can we see with LIGO?
It was designed to detect gravitational waves was it not? I'm not challenging you I'm asking because I'm curious.

Jo

How can we see with LIGO?
It was designed to detect gravitational waves was it not? I'm not challenging you I'm asking because I'm curious.

Jo

Ah ... we have a failure of communications it seems ... we aren't "seeing" gravity waves ... in the sense we're not using the electromagnetic spectrum ... light ... to investigate the universe ... we're using gravity instead ...

Our theory has the entire early universe opaque to EM radiation ... meaning absolutely NO photons from this time survive today ... they are all gone and so useless to our study ... it wasn't until the plasma state cooled enough to form discrete atoms before the universe became transparent ... the so-called CMB radiation epoch ... all the photons we see today are from after this event ...

The hope is that we can investigate the time before this epoch with gravity waves, as they would not be effected by the universe being opaque to EM ...

My understanding is we have not yet reached this epoch ... we have not yet "seen" the wall, past which photons cannot travel ... it'll be big news when I do I believe ... if we never find it, it's because the universe isn't expanding and all our theories are wrong ... no surprise there ...

We piss away billions on trains to nowhere, weapons systems that never see the light of day. Hey I'm all for pissing away billions on some cool technology that works and helps us understand things.

The universe is far bigger then we can imagine but pushing the boundries of knowledge is one of the core goals worth living for. So I don't think it is a failure. Hopefully it maps and images some interesting planets in the coming years. ;)

Ah ... we have a failure of communications it seems ... we aren't "seeing" gravity waves ... in the sense we're not using the electromagnetic spectrum ... light ... to investigate the universe ... we're using gravity instead ...

Our theory has the entire early universe opaque to EM radiation ... meaning absolutely NO photons from this time survive today ... they are all gone and so useless to our study ... it wasn't until the plasma state cooled enough to form discrete atoms before the universe became transparent ... the so-called CMB radiation epoch ... all the photons we see today are from after this event ...

The hope is that we can investigate the time before this epoch with gravity waves, as they would not be effected by the universe being opaque to EM ...

My understanding is we have not yet reached this epoch ... we have not yet "seen" the wall, past which photons cannot travel ... it'll be big news when I do I believe ... if we never find it, it's because the universe isn't expanding and all our theories are wrong ... no surprise there ...
Nice........ So what we're looking for is actually something we can't see. At least not with the eye such as it is. That's a twist....
Jo

If it is a curved universe, we will end up seeing ourselves from eons ago.
I never buy that bullshit. That just because there are probably a never ending sea of universes beyond ours doesn't mean that in one of them is another me only instead of right handed he is left handed. That talk is horse shit. There are google number of universes in the infinite universe. Not to be mistaken for our observable universe.

I never buy that bullshit. That just because there are probably a never ending sea of universes beyond ours doesn't mean that in one of them is another me only instead of right handed he is left handed. That talk is horse shit. There are google number of universes in the infinite universe. Not to be mistaken for our observable universe.
You do have to wonder though....quantum mechanics and the spooky effect.... It seems plausible that even time itself is a slave to gravity..

Forum List

Back