The decline of Public Pools

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
It used to be the local public pool used to be the place people learned to swim and a major memory of their summers as a child.
Now, municipalities have abandoned their pools and adopted austerity budgets
Much of it has become because of segregation laws which forced people to backyard pools and private clubs

Public pools have played a critical role in American culture over the past century. But as climate change and extreme heat worsen, they are taking on an urgent public health role. Heat kills more Americans than any other weather-related disaster, according to data tracked by the National Weather Service.

Yet just as public pools become more important than ever, they’re disappearing from sight.

Pools have become harder to find for Americans who lack a pool in their backyard, can’t afford a country club, or don’t have a local YMCA. A legacy of segregation, the privatization of pools, and starved public recreation budgets have led to the decline of public places to swim in many cities.

Public pools are a good place to get killed, actually.

Shootout in the Pittsburgh Ghetto at a pool.

And I guess you forgot about President Biden's almost deadly confrontation with Corn Pop in Wilmington.

And I guess you forgot about President Biden's almost deadly confrontation with Corn Pop in Wilmington.

Like schools, bars, parks... just about anywhere really in the US is a good place to get shot.

Yes
A Public Pool is a great place to pack your AR 15

It used to be the local public pool used to be the place people learned to swim and a major memory of their summers as a child.
Much of it has become because of segregation laws which forced people to backyard pools and private clubs

Ya know, I met a guy named Corn Pop at a public pool. He was a bad dude. Pretty sure he noticed my hairy legs.....

Oh well. Sucks to be the rest of the nation.

This? IS mostly a liability issue, no government entity wants to be liable for kids that are now unable to swim, nor are able to behave in public. Big pharmas jabs have made a generation of disabled kids. Something like one in ten are functionally a liability issue. They all have chronic diseases and behavior problems.

In the old days, high school kids, with red cross cards who were adequate swimmers, could watch over the little ones while making minimum wage, now? What corporate America has done to the population in pursuit of profit has ruined all that.

If the parents can't take time off to go to a lake or river, or private lodge or hotel to watch their own children? Nope, forget about it now.

I always watched my kid when he was little, he got his red cross cert., and then, by the time he was twelve, could just walk down to the river, lake or watering hole.

"In Michigan you're never more than 6 miles from a body of water or 85 miles from a Great Lake."

Lakes, Rivers and Fish​

• Michigan is home to 11,000 inland lakes.
  • Michigan has 3,300 miles of Great Lakes shoreline, the longest U.S. freshwater coastline.
  • Michigan has more total shoreline than any state except Alaska.
  • Michigan has tens of thousands of miles of rivers and streams.
  • In Michigan you're never more than 6 miles from a body of water or 85 miles from a Great Lake - which means you're never more than six miles from great fishing!
  • The DNR has six fish hatcheries, which produce more than 700,000 pounds of fish every year. Recreational fishing in Michigan is supported by stocked fish, with more than 50% of the Great Lakes trout and salmon fishery coming from stocked fish.

Last edited:
My dad loved to go swimming. He would drag us miles and miles to find a place where there were no black people. If he ever saw one we would never go back. A child of segregation he had a deep revulsion to white people and black people swimming in the same place. Many public pools just closed rather then integrate.

Heat kills more Americans than any other weather-related disaster, according to data tracked by the National Weather Service.
So. . . colds, flues, and COVID season brought on by cold, snowy, overcast & damp weather, are not counted in their calculations?

WTH kind of perverse calculation are these types of divorced from reality statements based on? :eusa_think:

Number Eight;

"What causes influenza and pneumonia?​

Influenza (the flu) is a highly contagious viral infection. It’s very common during winter months. Pneumonia is an infection or inflammation of the lungs.. . . "

WTH kind of perverse calculation are these types of divorced from reality statements based on? :eusa_think:
fear Mr B

it'll sell any agenda like hotcakes

coincidentally , i've been working away at our small town recreational area municipal pool now for 3-4 months

placating every state bureaucrat's viewpoint, influence and or input

i'm doing it for the kids

~S~

Public pools have played a critical role in American culture over the past century. But as climate change and extreme heat worsen, they are taking on an urgent public health role. Heat kills more Americans than any other weather-related disaster, according to data tracked by the National Weather Service.

Yet just as public pools become more important than ever, they’re disappearing from sight.

Pools have become harder to find for Americans who lack a pool in their backyard, can’t afford a country club, or don’t have a local YMCA. A legacy of segregation, the privatization of pools, and starved public recreation budgets have led to the decline of public places to swim in many cities.
You blame the recent decline in public pools on "A legacy of segregation"? Yeah I guess you Wokesters can blame anything on racism.

Oh well. Sucks to be the rest of the nation.

This? IS mostly a liability issue, no government entity wants to be liable for kids that are now unable to swim, nor are able to behave in public. Big pharmas jabs have made a generation of disabled kids. Something like one in ten are functionally a liability issue. They all have chronic diseases and behavior problems.

In the old days, high school kids, with red cross cards who were adequate swimmers, could watch over the little ones while making minimum wage, now? What corporate America has done to the population in pursuit of profit has ruined all that.

If the parents can't take time off to go to a lake or river, or private lodge or hotel to watch their own children? Nope, forget about it now.

I always watched my kid when he was little, he got his red cross cert., and then, by the time he was twelve, could just walk down to the river, lake or watering hole.

"In Michigan you're never more than 6 miles from a body of water or 85 miles from a Great Lake."

Lakes, Rivers and Fish​

• Michigan is home to 11,000 inland lakes.
  • Michigan has 3,300 miles of Great Lakes shoreline, the longest U.S. freshwater coastline.
  • Michigan has more total shoreline than any state except Alaska.
  • Michigan has tens of thousands of miles of rivers and streams.
  • In Michigan you're never more than 6 miles from a body of water or 85 miles from a Great Lake - which means you're never more than six miles from great fishing!
  • The DNR has six fish hatcheries, which produce more than 700,000 pounds of fish every year. Recreational fishing in Michigan is supported by stocked fish, with more than 50% of the Great Lakes trout and salmon fishery coming from stocked fish.
Many people grow up without access to local oceans, lakes and rivers.
Community pools filled that void and was the place children went to cool off and learn to swim

But todays society does not care. Pools have moved to backyards and country clubs.

Those who cannot afford are out of luck

You blame the recent decline in public pools on "A legacy of segregation"? Yeah I guess you Wokesters can blame anything on racism.

The idea that white children would have to share the water with black children was an impetus to stop funding those pools.
Community pools were a major investment in the 50s and 60s but once they were no longer all white….public funding dried up

Racial stereotypes around cleanliness and safety, as well as intense fears of Black men interacting with White women in bathing suits, turned pools into some of the most segregated public spaces in America, said Victoria Wolcott, a historian at the University at Buffalo and author of “Race, Riots, and Roller Coasters: The Struggle over Segregated Recreation in America.”

Last edited:

Forum List

Back