The Decline of Men in College: A disturbing trend.

“American colleges and universities now enroll roughly six women for every four men. This is the largest female-male gender gap in the history of higher education, and it’s getting wider. Last year, U.S. colleges enrolled 1.5 million fewer students than five years ago, The Wall Street Journal recently reported. Men accounted for more than 70 percent of the decline.….

The college gender gap is happening not just in the U.S. but in a range of upper- and middle-income countries, including France, Slovenia, Mexico, and Brazil. “In almost every rich country, women earn the majority of bachelor’s degrees,” Claudia Goldin, a historian and economics professor at Harvard University, told me.”

I find this trend very disturbing. In 1970, men accounted for 57% of college students. To redress the imbalance, Congress passed Title IX to address sex discrimination. Now there is an imbalance of women to men and that disparity is growing. It is getting so bad that “The Wall Street Journal reports that some colleges are putting their finger on the scale for male applicants, to avoid having their schools become 70 percent female.”

Maybe it is time to revisit some of these laws and policies that were used to correct the initial imbalance though It is interesting that it appears to be an international phenomenom.

It is time to take a close look at this trend. Though various reasons are given for this trend, we need to delve more deeply into the causes. Whatever it is, we need to address it.
Men are finding it more profitable to do jobs like construction work, electrician, sales that don't require an expensive worthless college degree. Or they are finding that they can self education for computer programming or other jobs-----

Men are finding it more profitable to do jobs like construction work, electrician, sales that don't require an expensive worthless college degree. Or they are finding that they can self education for computer programming or other jobs-----
This is another trend based upon the cost of a bachelor's degree...

But it's been noted for some time now.

Women also are going for trade schools instead of college degrees. Men don't seem to want to complete their degrees.

So when women seek men for a marriage partner, equally educated men are in short supply. So they either end up being the breadwinner or go without.

But the college degrees are also not having the returns for the high investment cost they once did either. Especially since the cost has skyrocketed.

So the end result is fewer marriages, children, and an educated population.
Giving away a college education isn't the answer either...but the Australian model does seem to have some merit. (Higher tax rate for those graduates with worthwhile degrees paid for by the government)

“American colleges and universities now enroll roughly six women for every four men. This is the largest female-male gender gap in the history of higher education, and it’s getting wider. Last year, U.S. colleges enrolled 1.5 million fewer students than five years ago, The Wall Street Journal recently reported. Men accounted for more than 70 percent of the decline.….

The college gender gap is happening not just in the U.S. but in a range of upper- and middle-income countries, including France, Slovenia, Mexico, and Brazil. “In almost every rich country, women earn the majority of bachelor’s degrees,” Claudia Goldin, a historian and economics professor at Harvard University, told me.”

I find this trend very disturbing. In 1970, men accounted for 57% of college students. To redress the imbalance, Congress passed Title IX to address sex discrimination. Now there is an imbalance of women to men and that disparity is growing. It is getting so bad that “The Wall Street Journal reports that some colleges are putting their finger on the scale for male applicants, to avoid having their schools become 70 percent female.”

Maybe it is time to revisit some of these laws and policies that were used to correct the initial imbalance though It is interesting that it appears to be an international phenomenom.

It is time to take a close look at this trend. Though various reasons are given for this trend, we need to delve more deeply into the causes. Whatever it is, we need to address it.
Seems like a great time to be a male college student!

So many times the cure becomes the problem. The pendulum swings to far. Better at least stop the policies that gave the female the leg up. Just make it merit based.

This has been a trend for many years now. I'm not entirely sure it's such a bad thing. First off, universities have become a rip off. They've become more expensive for a lesser quality product. Second, we have a shortage of skilled tradesmen in this country and those are jobs that would primarily be filled by men. These jobs pay well and you don't incur the massive indebtedness that most college graduates have today.

• Thanks
Reactions: JLW
This has been a trend for many years now. I'm not entirely sure it's such a bad thing. First off, universities have become a rip off. They've become more expensive for a lesser quality product. Second, we have a shortage of skilled tradesmen in this country and those are jobs that would primarily be filled by men. These jobs pay well and you don't incur the massive indebtedness that most college graduates have today.
I don't disagree. I started this thread because I know many friends and family whose sons are not going to college or who have dropped out. Then I read the article in the Atlantic this morning. Yes, it has been a trend in recent years with boys not going on to higher education but it seems to be accelerating.

There is absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever with trade school, provided they are going to trade school. You make a good point about kids not wanting to be saddled with debt. I heard that as well. Of course there is nothing wrong with working then going to college later.

I thought it was interesting that it is an international trend, not just American.

Given how fast the world is evolving, I just hope we don't fall behind.

I don't disagree. I started this thread because I know many friends and family whose sons are not going to college or who have dropped out. Then I read the article in the Atlantic this morning. Yes, it has been a trend in recent years with boys not going on to higher education but it seems to be accelerating.

There is absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever with trade school, provided they are going to trade school. You make a good point about kids not wanting to be saddled with debt. I heard that as well. Of course there is nothing wrong with working then going to college later.

I thought it was interesting that it is an international trend, not just American.

Given how fast the world is evolving, I just hope we don't fall behind.

We're already falling behind. We have been for years. China is kicking our ass in math and science. People have complained about companies using the H-1B visas to import foreign workers for tech jobs, but the reason companies give is that they can't find enough Americans qualified to do those jobs and that's because our education system is dog shit. We spend more money on education than almost any other country in the world, but we rank near the bottom of OECD nations in education quality.

How bad is Political Correctness in Colleges now? Does anyone have first hand knowledge?

In late 1990s I openly discussed very Politically Incorrect issues and was never reprimanded. Once I published a letter to editor in a college newspaper in 1999!

I mentioned rampant discrimination against men. That goes against PC Doctrine, but I suffered no repercussions. I mentioned these facts to huge audiences -- up to several hundred.

How bad is the situation now?

We're already falling behind. We have been for years. China is kicking our ass in math and science. People have complained about companies using the H-1B visas to import foreign workers for tech jobs, but the reason companies give is that they can't find enough Americans qualified to do those jobs and that's because our education system is dog shit. We spend more money on education than almost any other country in the world, but we rank near the bottom of OECD nations in education quality.
It is a friggin' sad state of affairs. I wonder if China is having an issue with its men are failing to go to college or dropping out?

That would explain all the dingbat Libtard chicks. They got brainwashed by the bat shit crazy Marxist professors in college and never had the intelligence to question it.

I think it's a good sign for men and women are falling behind ---- no real point in getting into debt to be indoctrinated in wokeness! What's the point in that? Just a life deficit and waste of four years or more.
Instead they are getting out there and starting life and learning real things and earning money. Bravo, young men.
Go to a union hall and sign on...If it's not against the law now ?? You may need proof of Xidenation and a drug test

The Reward (Castration) Is Not Worth the Sacrifice

College is work without pay. It is for teenagers who are afraid to grow up. Earning a living at age 18, no matter what job, is very manly.

Forum List

Back