The costs of Air Force One

Divine Wind

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2011
Texas
Air Force One aircraft, there are two, are more than big airliners with a Federal paint job. It's a flying White House with a full (but classified so don't tell Hillary!) command and control center. Most here are old enough to recall that after 9/11, President Bush flew around in Air Force One for a few days until the extent of the attack was known. While his whereabouts were relatively unknown to the public (and our enemies) he was still in full control as Commander in Chief. This type of aircraft is not cheap. Hence why, as the linked article below details, the price tag on a pair of new Air Force One's is $4B.

The inaccuracies in Donald Trump’s Air Force One tweet
.....Congress obviously would have a say in the final price tag. The Boeing 757 jet used by the secretary of state was supposed to get long-range engines but at the last moment, they were killed by then-Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska). This resulted in some cost savings — and also that the secretary of state would always have to refuel in Alaska on flights to and from Asia.

Boeing says it made no money making the last set of Air Force One jets and does not expect to make money on this order, as it is more a matter of prestige. Indeed, Boeing has already announced that it may soon end production of the 747 jet.

“Cancel the order!”

Nothing has been ordered yet. But the program could be eliminated. This may not be a problem for Trump, but certainly would affect his successors, especially if no order is placed before Boeing stops making 747s. The current aircraft were delivered in 1990, and as we noted, the life cycle is about 30 years. The Pentagon says the current fleet “faces capability gaps, rising maintenance costs, and parts obsolescence as it reaches the end of its planned 30-year life-cycle.”

Todd Harrison, a defense budget expert at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, said “the program is very new and hardly had a chance to get started yet.” So, in effect, there are no real cost overruns yet. He added that the estimated $4 billion cost is reasonable given the requirements of the project.

But but but Trump's has gold plated stuff in it and it is cheaper! Fucking people don't realize you can't take a 30 year old car, get a Maaco paint job and install an expensive stereo and it is as good as a new car. AF-1 is made to help get away from attacks from fighter jets... I'd like to see Trump's plane do that.

But but but Trump's has gold plated stuff in it and it is cheaper! Fucking people don't realize you can't take a 30 year old car, get a Maaco paint job and install an expensive stereo and it is as good as a new car. AF-1 is made to help get away from attacks from fighter jets... I'd like to see Trump's plane do that.
Yes. I don't understand what Trump was seeking to prove with his Tweet on this subject.

As the linked article states, there's no order to cancel since there isn't an order in place by Congress yet.

NO, I don't really think you or any of your ilk would like to see Trumps plane do that, as you put it.

NO, I don't really think you or any of your ilk would like to see Trumps plane do that, as you put it.

If Trump decides to use his plane instead of AF-1... and it DOES get shot down? Well, what can I say, hubris.

If Trump decides to use his plane instead of AF-1... and it DOES get shot down? Well, what can I say, hubris.
You will rejoice, like all the sick of the world.

You will rejoice, like all the sick of the world.

I don't wish death on anyone. As I said in another thread... with the person who wishes on Bill Clinton to have AIDS. But hey, whatever floats your boat!

While that would be true, the fact remains the Secret Service wouldn't let him.

When Trump puts his hand on a Bible next January and takes the oath of Office, his life is no longer his own.

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

I read an article yesterday from early 2015, stating finally costs would be aroun $1.76 billion. What is happening is they are doing their studies/research, etc first, which costs us
around $127 million a pop, and has had cost overruns already. That 127 went up to over $170 million.

Just a couple of the articles. Will it get close to that $4 billion mark? Probably.

AF identifies Boeing 747-8 platform for next Air Force One > U.S. Air Force > Article Display

Boeing (BA) Wins $127M Air Force Contract for PAR Program

Boeing wins contract to build new Air Force One presidential jets

A friend was on the bridge of a destroyer in the gulf when Bush was flying in for the Thanksgiving visit. A smart ass sailor decided to lock onto Air Force One. It broke the lock on within a second. That plane has things no one else has. And yes, the smart ass sailor got into a lot of trouble.

A friend was on the bridge of a destroyer in the gulf when Bush was flying in for the Thanksgiving visit. A smart ass sailor decided to lock onto Air Force One. It broke the lock on within a second. That plane has things no one else has. And yes, the smart ass sailor got into a lot of trouble.
Agreed. It carries the Commander in Chief and must be able to serve as a C&C platform in times of crisis.

Think people.....you pull the old plans out....scratch off systems that are obsolete figure out where upgrades go .....you're buying the sale job....pretty sure a Virginia requires lot more specialized work than a747

Air Force One aircraft, there are two, are more than big airliners with a Federal paint job. It's a flying White House with a full (but classified so don't tell Hillary!) command and control center. Most here are old enough to recall that after 9/11, President Bush flew around in Air Force One for a few days until the extent of the attack was known. While his whereabouts were relatively unknown to the public (and our enemies) he was still in full control as Commander in Chief. This type of aircraft is not cheap. Hence why, as the linked article below details, the price tag on a pair of new Air Force One's is $4B.

The inaccuracies in Donald Trump’s Air Force One tweet
.....Congress obviously would have a say in the final price tag. The Boeing 757 jet used by the secretary of state was supposed to get long-range engines but at the last moment, they were killed by then-Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska). This resulted in some cost savings — and also that the secretary of state would always have to refuel in Alaska on flights to and from Asia.

Boeing says it made no money making the last set of Air Force One jets and does not expect to make money on this order, as it is more a matter of prestige. Indeed, Boeing has already announced that it may soon end production of the 747 jet.

“Cancel the order!”

Nothing has been ordered yet. But the program could be eliminated. This may not be a problem for Trump, but certainly would affect his successors, especially if no order is placed before Boeing stops making 747s. The current aircraft were delivered in 1990, and as we noted, the life cycle is about 30 years. The Pentagon says the current fleet “faces capability gaps, rising maintenance costs, and parts obsolescence as it reaches the end of its planned 30-year life-cycle.”

Todd Harrison, a defense budget expert at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, said “the program is very new and hardly had a chance to get started yet.” So, in effect, there are no real cost overruns yet. He added that the estimated $4 billion cost is reasonable given the requirements of the project.
One USN Aircraft carrier costs 4.5 Bil. Boeing is ripping off the US Government

Forum List

Back