The Chaser

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
The Chaser (2008) - IMDb

I am becoming a big fan of South Korean film.

If you are tired of the same old shit coming out of Hollywood these days, put aside your reservations about foreign language films with subtitles and try some South Korean films.

Here is what a basic Hollywood movie is these days: Lots of explosions, horrible plot, horrible writing, more explosions, and 75 percent CGI and no imagination. And more explosions. Then they blow some shit up.

In The Chaser, there are plenty of explosions, but they all come from one pissed off former police detective turned pimp.

The movie starts off a little slowly, and then builds and builds.

The plot centers around a prostitute the pimp sends out on a call. At the last minute, the pimp finds a pattern which links to several prostitutes who have gone missing and the customer he has just sent his favorite girl to service. Oh, shit, I just sent my favorite girl into the arms of a sex trader.

If only the guy was a sex trader and was just selling the girls into slavery. But it is worse than that. Much worse.

This former detective is relentless in his pursuit of the psycho killer, and he moves between the South Korean underworld and law enforcement with equal ease.

When this guy is on your ass, you are in deep shit. If you make him have to chase you, you are just going to piss him off even more when he finally catches you.

The psycho killer is played very well. Detached and disturbed and heartless. His choice of murder weapon is a hammer and chisel to the head. This gets real ugly, folks.

The brutality in this film is all too real, and the hand to hand fighting is true to life. This is not some bogus Hollywood film where the good guy and bad guy trade blows without either one tiring or falling down. In this film, when someone gets punched, they will feel it for days, and they get exhausted to the point of barely being able to raise their arms.

Lots of good twists, lots of suspense, and some events that are heartbreaking.

If you like films that are the definition of gritty, and down and dirty and real, this is for you. You will not be disappointed with The Chaser.

Available on Netflix.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back