The Cancel Culture - conform or face the consequences

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
The following is an excerpt from an interview with Jodi Shaw, a divorced mother of two children. She is a lifelong liberal and an alumna of Smith college in Northampton, Massachusetts. And she has had a front-row seat to the illiberal, neo-racist ideology masquerading as progress. The interviewer is Bari Weiss, the lady columnist who quit working at the NY Times.

We all know that something morally grotesque is swallowing liberal America. Almost no one wants to risk talking about it out loud.

Every day I get phone calls from anxious Americans complaining about an ideology that wants to pull all of us into the past.

I get calls from parents telling me about the damaging things being taught in schools: so-called antiracist programs that urge children to obsess on the color of their skin.

I get calls from people working in corporate America forced to go to trainings in which they learn that they carry collective, race-based guilt — or benefit from collective, race-based virtue.

I get calls from young people just launching their careers telling me that they feel they have no choice but to profess fealty to this ideology in order to keep their jobs.

Almost no one who calls me is willing to go public. And I understand why. To go public with what’s happening is to risk their jobs and their reputations.
Jodi Shaw:

I can no longer continue to work in an environment where I am constantly subjected to additional scrutiny because of my skin color. I can no longer work in an environment where I am told, publicly, that my personal feelings of discomfort under such scrutiny are not legitimate but instead are a manifestation of white supremacy. Perhaps most importantly, I can no longer work in an environment where I am expected to apply similar race-based stereotypes and assumptions to others, and where I am told — when I complain about having to engage in what I believe to be discriminatory practices — that there are “legitimate reasons for asking employees to consider race” in order to achieve the college’s “social justice objectives.”

What passes for “progressive” today at Smith and at so many other institutions is regressive. It taps into humanity’s worst instincts to break down into warring factions, and I fear this is rapidly leading us to a very twisted place. It terrifies me that others don’t seem to see that racial segregation and demonization are wrong and dangerous no matter what its victims look like. Being told that any disagreement or feelings of discomfort somehow upholds “white supremacy” is not just morally wrong. It is psychologically abusive.

Equally troubling are the many others who understand and know full well how damaging this is, but do not speak out due to fear of professional retaliation, social censure, and loss of their livelihood and reputation. I fear that by the time people see it, or those who see it manage to screw up the moral courage to speak out, it will be too late.

I wanted to change things at Smith. I hoped that by bringing an internal complaint, I could somehow get the administration to see that their capitulation to critical race orthodoxy was causing real, measurable harm. When that failed, I hoped that drawing public attention to these problems at Smith would finally awaken the administration to this reality. I have come to conclude, however, that the college is so deeply committed to this toxic ideology that the only way for me to escape the racially hostile climate is to resign. It is completely unacceptable that we are now living in a culture in which one must choose between remaining in a racially hostile, psychologically abusive environment or giving up their income.

Further, from Ms Weiss:

What is happening is wrong. Any ideology that asks people to judge others based on their skin color is wrong. Any ideology that asks us to reduce ourselves and others to racial stereotypes is wrong. Any ideology that treats dissent as evidence of bigotry is wrong. Any ideology that denies our common humanity is wrong. You should say so. Just like Jodi Shaw has.

The interview is a sad commentary on the way thing are in this country right now. The cancel culture is in full swing, and woe to those who do not conform. And I don't know how things are going to improve any time soon, if ever. Gotta be tough to do that, knowing you're risking your livelihood.

Last edited:
The following is an excerpt from an interview with Jodi Shaw, a divorced mother of two children. She is a lifelong liberal and an alumna of Smith college in Northampton, Massachusetts. And she has had a front-row seat to the illiberal, neo-racist ideology masquerading as progress. The interviewer is Bari Weiss, the lady columnist who quit working at the NY Times.

We all know that something morally grotesque is swallowing liberal America. Almost no one wants to risk talking about it out loud.

Every day I get phone calls from anxious Americans complaining about an ideology that wants to pull all of us into the past.

I get calls from parents telling me about the damaging things being taught in schools: so-called antiracist programs that urge children to obsess on the color of their skin.

I get calls from people working in corporate America forced to go to trainings in which they learn that they carry collective, race-based guilt — or benefit from collective, race-based virtue.

I get calls from young people just launching their careers telling me that they feel they have no choice but to profess fealty to this ideology in order to keep their jobs.

Almost no one who calls me is willing to go public. And I understand why. To go public with what’s happening is to risk their jobs and their reputations.
Jodi Shaw:

I can no longer continue to work in an environment where I am constantly subjected to additional scrutiny because of my skin color. I can no longer work in an environment where I am told, publicly, that my personal feelings of discomfort under such scrutiny are not legitimate but instead are a manifestation of white supremacy. Perhaps most importantly, I can no longer work in an environment where I am expected to apply similar race-based stereotypes and assumptions to others, and where I am told — when I complain about having to engage in what I believe to be discriminatory practices — that there are “legitimate reasons for asking employees to consider race” in order to achieve the college’s “social justice objectives.”

What passes for “progressive” today at Smith and at so many other institutions is regressive. It taps into humanity’s worst instincts to break down into warring factions, and I fear this is rapidly leading us to a very twisted place. It terrifies me that others don’t seem to see that racial segregation and demonization are wrong and dangerous no matter what its victims look like. Being told that any disagreement or feelings of discomfort somehow upholds “white supremacy” is not just morally wrong. It is psychologically abusive.

Equally troubling are the many others who understand and know full well how damaging this is, but do not speak out due to fear of professional retaliation, social censure, and loss of their livelihood and reputation. I fear that by the time people see it, or those who see it manage to screw up the moral courage to speak out, it will be too late.

I wanted to change things at Smith. I hoped that by bringing an internal complaint, I could somehow get the administration to see that their capitulation to critical race orthodoxy was causing real, measurable harm. When that failed, I hoped that drawing public attention to these problems at Smith would finally awaken the administration to this reality. I have come to conclude, however, that the college is so deeply committed to this toxic ideology that the only way for me to escape the racially hostile climate is to resign. It is completely unacceptable that we are now living in a culture in which one must choose between remaining in a racially hostile, psychologically abusive environment or giving up their income.

The interview is a sad commentary on the way thing are in this country right now. The cancel culture is in full swing, and woe to those who do not conform. And I don't know how things are going to improve any time soon, if ever.

She is describing a significant feature of a Stalinist society.

The interview is a sad commentary on the way thing are in this country right now. The cancel culture is in full swing, and woe to those who do not conform. And I don't know how things are going to improve any time soon, if ever.

Cancel culture again?

tenor.gif

Jodi Shaw:

Further, from Ms Weiss:

What is happening is wrong. Any ideology that asks people to judge others based on their skin color is wrong. Any ideology that asks us to reduce ourselves and others to racial stereotypes is wrong. Any ideology that treats dissent as evidence of bigotry is wrong. Any ideology that denies our common humanity is wrong. You should say so. Just like Jodi Shaw has.

The interview is a sad commentary on the way thing are in this country right now. The cancel culture is in full swing, and woe to those who do not conform. And I don't know how things are going to improve any time soon, if ever. Gotta be tough to do that, knowing you're risking your livelihood.

What a whiny bitch! Stop treating me like I'm not white!!!!! I want my white privilege.

As for the "cancel culture", she's on YouTube, slandering her former employer, she's being interviewed by a prominent right wing writer, and she's being discussed in the right wing blogosphere. All these people who complain about being "cancelled", sure are speaking out a LOT.

You want cancel culture try on a mask. PROGS cancel everything, from camping to your rights to nature itself, and surely country too.

We're supposed to feel guilty for our sins racist, stuff like that. You know, because only blacks were once slaves void of history and common sense. So they ride that and more into a cesspool sponsored by Carl's Jr., China, Mad Joe Robinette & the Kosher Commie.

Cancel culture. Like all the GOP organs censuring the House and Senate Republicans who voted for impeachment and conviction.

Yeah. Like that.
Are they still in office? No one was cancelled. Not yet. Move along now.

What a whiny bitch! Stop treating me like I'm not white!!!!! I want my white privilege.

As for the "cancel culture", she's on YouTube, slandering her former employer, she's being interviewed by a prominent right wing writer, and she's being discussed in the right wing blogosphere. All these people who complain about being "cancelled", sure are speaking out a LOT.
Racism is either wrong or it isn't, you can't have it both ways and expect people to not notice.

Equality of outcome is a pipe dream and impossible. In order to have equal outcomes you have to steal from one group to give to another. It's an immoral, racist, and bigoted agenda.

The promoters of Cancel Culture are cowardly bullies who deserve to be shunned.

Shunned is the lightest of punishments that they truly deserve.

Oh, I think it is the one that will hurt them the most - just being ignored.

They'll never go away by shunning....whatever that means.

They are cowardly bullies who only feel "courageous" in a mob. Shunning is a great method in a civil society to punish people who behave badly. Don't interact with them - just socially reject them. That's a personal decision, not a mob action. I wouldn't doxx them, or hound them on social media or try to get them fired, I would just personally banish them from the circle of those with who I choose to interact. It's something that civilized people do that doesn't involve the government or giant institutions to act for them.

Shunning is like an ignore button for Real Life. Much better than whinging to a Mod.

Racism is either wrong or it isn't, you can't have it both ways and expect people to not notice.

Equality of outcome is a pipe dream and impossible. In order to have equal outcomes you have to steal from one group to give to another. It's an immoral, racist, and bigoted agenda.

No one is looking for equality of outcome, but rather equality of opportunity. Instead of give opportunities to one and depriving the other, why not give opportunities to both, and reap double the benefit? There are not a finite number of opportunities.

New Topics

Forum List

Back