The biggest and most constant nonsense from the right, that we are a Christian nation

Nice opinion , if it works for you that's fine, here's where you can find the 12 commandment "Chapter 20, verses 2 to 17, of the Book of Exodus and again in Chapter 5, verses 6 to 21, of the Book of Deuteronomy. or the 631 commandments in Leviticus Or here are thelast 3 commandments in the 13 commandments
11 th Commandment: 'Honour the earth, its plants, soil, water and air.'

12 th Commandment: 'thou shalt not be neglectful and lazy but keep thy mind and body healthy and disciplined'.

13 th Commandment: 'Thou shalt not enslave others, including thy enemies.

Or read Exodus 20 through exodus 22 there are 14 there.
Nitpick, that's 613 commandments. And they are not all in Leviticus, they are spread throughout Torah. And the "10" are not even called commandments. The Hebrew translates to utterances.

Nitpick, that's 613 commandments. And they are not all in Leviticus, they are spread throughout Torah. And the "10" are not even called commandments. The Hebrew translates to utterances.
Seems like it is splitting hairs to call the "10" utterances and the others commandments. What is the basis for that distinction?

Seems like it is splitting hairs to call the "10" utterances and the others commandments. What is the basis for that distinction?
Honestly, translation. Everybody calls them commandments. It's just not what the Hebrew actually says. It also brings them down a peg. They are no more important than the other 603.

Honestly, translation. Everybody calls them commandments. It's just not what the Hebrew actually says. It also brings them down a peg. They are no more important than the other 603.
I was actually trying to figure out if the ten were included in the 613. As near as I could tell only 2 were. But I didn't go through all of them. So color me uncertain as to if 613 is the actual number.

I was actually trying to figure out if the ten were included in the 613. As near as I could tell only 2 were. But I didn't go through all of them. So color me uncertain as to if 613 is the actual number.
613 is the number. They are our commandments, we know how to count them, :)

Killing and bible thumping are the driving factors that our democracy is derived from., The killing love by the right is obvious, so I'll just deal with the Bible nonsense. What did the writers of the constitution and the declaration of independents think about the stupid Idea that his country is derived from some bible basis. Our first Treaty was the treaty of Tripoli and it was passed by 100% of the congress that was filled with writers and signers of the declaration of independents and the Constitution. To a standing ovation with John Adams saying "we are now a nation'
The 11th article in this treaty makes a fool out of this nonsense that the hate party lives on.

ARTICLE 11.

As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion,-as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen,-and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
The Barbary pirates were not all Muslims or even Arabs.
Anyone in any period of time would have come up with the ten commandments if they wanted to start any religion.
Also, there's the code of Hammurabi which predates Judaism.

The 613 or whatever the number is are called Mitzvots Which literally means commandment
This from Judaism 101: A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)

A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)​

613 Mitzvot (in Hebrew)

Level: Advanced

• Jewish tradition teaches that there are 613 commandments
  • This is the list of 613 identified by Rambam
  • The order and organization is my own

Below is a list of the 613 mitzvot (commandments). It is based primarily on the list compiled by Rambam in the Mishneh Torah, but I have consulted other sources as well. As I said in the page on halakhah, Rambam's list is probably the most widely accepted list, but it is not the only one. The order is my own, as are the explanations of how some rules are derived from some biblical passages.
So how many are there?

Jesus brought a new covenant-Love. We are no longer under the Mosaic Laws.
In Matthew 5:17-18, Jesus says, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

The Barbary pirates were not all Muslims or even Arabs.

Also, there's the code of Hammurabi which predates Judaism.
Never said they were , the Treaty was for the protection by Tripoli to protect American ships from the Pirates. There.

Atheists, Agnostics, by a majority ,support all the 10 commandment except the last being Remember the sabbath day (Sunday)​

Killing and bible thumping are the driving factors that our democracy is derived from., The killing love by the right is obvious, so I'll just deal with the Bible nonsense. What did the writers of the constitution and the declaration of independents think about the stupid Idea that his country is derived from some bible basis. Our first Treaty was the treaty of Tripoli and it was passed by 100% of the congress that was filled with writers and signers of the declaration of independents and the Constitution. To a standing ovation with John Adams saying "we are now a nation'
The 11th article in this treaty makes a fool out of this nonsense that the hate party lives on.

ARTICLE 11.

As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion,-as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen,-and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
Until we can formally designate America as a Christian nation, we will spiral further down in atheism by default. Nobody would think that's better.

Never said they were , the Treaty was for the protection by Tripoli to protect American ships from the Pirates. There.

Atheists, Agnostics, by a majority ,support all the 10 commandment except the last being Remember the sabbath day (Sunday)​

1. The last commandment isn't about the Sabbath.
2. Atheists regularly violate pretty much all the others.

Right. But not always follow them.
They are not all followable by everybody. A number of them can only be followed if there is a Temple. A number of them can only be followed in Israel. Observant Jews follow as many as we can.

The 613 or whatever the number is are called Mitzvots Which literally means commandment
This from Judaism 101: A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)

A List of the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments)​

613 Mitzvot (in Hebrew)

Level: Advanced

• Jewish tradition teaches that there are 613 commandments
  • This is the list of 613 identified by Rambam
  • The order and organization is my own

Below is a list of the 613 mitzvot (commandments). It is based primarily on the list compiled by Rambam in the Mishneh Torah, but I have consulted other sources as well. As I said in the page on halakhah, Rambam's list is probably the most widely accepted list, but it is not the only one. The order is my own, as are the explanations of how some rules are derived from some biblical passages.
So how many are there?

Sabbath is Saturday. And that commandment is the 4th.

1. Do not have any other gods.
  2. Do not make or worship idols.
  3. Do not disrespect or misuse God’s name.
  4. Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy.
  5. Honour your mother and father.
  6. Do not commit murder.
  7. Do not commit adultery.
  8. Do not steal.
  9. Do not tell lies
  10. Do not be envious of others.

Anyone in any period of time would have come up with the ten commandments if they wanted to start any religion.
Actually the Jews borrowed the ten commandments from another culture. The whole Moses story never happened.

In Matthew 5:17-18, Jesus says, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.
The Mosaic laws were a covenant-Jesus brought us a new one-love. Under the Mosaic laws people were to be stoned to death for certain sins--we are not under those laws. If we stoned people to death for certain sins, It would be a constant events in todays world and people would go to prision for murder if they did that.

They are not all followable by everybody. A number of them can only be followed if there is a Temple. A number of them can only be followed in Israel. Observant Jews follow as many as we can.
And if you remove all of that my comment still stands. It's not meant to be a slur. Just a statement of reality.

Forum List

Back