The Anglo-American Tradition of Natural Law: Its Philosophical and Governing Principles

Ringtone

Platinum Member
Sep 3, 2019
The Anglo-American Tradition of Natural Law:
Its Philosophical and Governing Principles

By Michael Rawlings, a.k.a., Ringtone
Unpublished © November 2021, Ctrl + Left Click on links

Everything I know, I know from God Who knew it first.

Preface
In this article, I use a referent of thesis regarding the Christian understanding of natural law that prevailed in Great Britain and America from the latter part of the 17th Century to roughly the middle part of the 20th Century. This referent, namely, the Anglo-America tradition of natural law, is solely mine, so it’s not generally established in academia. I floated it in an essay on a philosophical discussion board several years ago, among persons accustomed to reading Western thought. That essay was a brief outline of the thesis, not an expositive defense of it. The thesis was generally well received, and several readers agreed that academia lacked a standard designation for a culturally distinct epoch of ideology in Great Britain and America, which stemmed from and endured the rift between their colonial ties.

The Anglo-American tradition is informed by the biblical standard of government, the yardstick of the Old Testament’s theocratic Republic of Israel as applied to “the times of the Gentiles.”1 This article discusses the principles of the Anglo-American tradition as distinguished from those of classical paganism, continental humanism, Montesquieuan republicanism, and classic laissez-faire.
Rest of Article: (You can make adjustments on YUMPUfont size, verticle/horizontal scrolling, etceteraby clicking on document and revealing setting controls)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back