texas teen faces life in prison for hash brownies

Get used to it. The (pot) genie is out of the bottle and American teens have been conditioned by years of hollywood (funny?) propaganda to be stupid about the legal concept of assault .

I agree with the sentiment that "if you can't do that time, don't do the crime".

However, that doesn't stop me from thinking that the powers that be need to reexamine a law which gives harsher penalty to someone who bakes a batch of marijuana brownies than to someone who commits a rape.
You're contradicting yourself.

How so?

Being in favor of more reasonable sentencing is not at odds with the general advice that people not break laws if they can't handle the consequences.

Laws can be changed. I would like some changes to be made.

And still that basic advice applies -- if you are going to dabble in the illegal, you could pay a big price.

Last edited:
He's a drug dealer. He deserves to be off the streets for life.

A novice drug dealer can pay an entire college tuition by drug dealing for a month. Some people "work" their entire lives trying to pay off their college loans.

Drug dealers prey on others, they are low life scum and need to be dealt with accordingly. Drug a users are a different story.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.

Humans make valuable resources if you know how to use them.

This plainly sadistic, wasteful, wholly unnecessary and abusive exercise of the criminal law reveals a truly disgusting aspect of the Texas mentality.

Then stay out of my state.
Doesn't the question of who was harmed by this fellow's "crime" enter into your thoughts on the matter? "Hash oil" brownies are essentially marijuana brownies and are in no way as harmful to the human organism than is ordinary whiskey or tobacco. Who did he hurt? Yet he's being punished as painfully as would be a mugger, an armed robber, or a rapist, and all you can think of in relation to it is an inane authoritarian jingle? This is an extreme Reefer Madness issue.

Some laws and their associated punishments are blindly excessive and demand our individual sense of right and wrong to call attention to such conspicuous injustice. So I would urge you to give some more thought to this needless excess and the way it reflects on the character of your state and the mentality of its people.

No it doesn't enter into my thoughts. It's an illegal activity that demands punishment. The fact is, we do not know all the facts surrounding this individual. We don't know what kind of criminal record he has if this is his first or fourteenth arrest and conviction.

Unless he's a retarded liberal, he knows the law and he chose to break it. I have no sympathy for idiots.

Anyone one doesn't love Texas hasn't been there.

I'm firmly in the "Can't do the time, don't do the crime" camp.

This man knew what he was doing was illegal, he choose to engage in criminal activity for profit.

Now, it's time to pay the piper.

That's what always gets me. Laws are changing now, but in the past, everyone who started using pot knew they were breaking the law, and knew the consequences.

He's a drug dealer. He deserves to be off the streets for life.

A novice drug dealer can pay an entire college tuition by drug dealing for a month. Some people "work" their entire lives trying to pay off their college loans.

Drug dealers prey on others, they are low life scum and need to be dealt with accordingly. Drug a users are a different story.

Sent from my iPad using an Android.
"Drug dealers" is a rather narrow designation. If you're talking about those who "push" drugs to children, then I agree with your comment. But viewed objectively the dealers of the most harmful and addictive drugs of all are those who sell and advertise beverage alcohol and tobacco products.

Those who are incapable of such fundamental objectivity but who approve of the excessive punishment imposed on this kid for selling pot brownies are hopelessly brainwashed by Reefer Madness propaganda.

This man knew what he was doing was illegal, he choose to engage in criminal activity for profit.

That's what always gets me. Laws are changing now, but in the past, everyone who started using pot knew they were breaking the law, and knew the consequences.
There are laws and there are laws. And slavish adherence to laws with no consideration for one's individual sense of right and wrong is an invitation to tyranny.

We know there is a law against marijuana. And we know this fellow broke the law. But the point is how you feel about such ineffective, unnecessary, wholly counterproductive laws and the excessive punishments associated with them.

Last edited:

There are laws and there are laws. And slavish adherence to laws with no consideration for one's individual sense of right and wrong is an invitation to tyranny.

We know there is a law against marijuana. And we know this fellow broke the law. But the point is how you feel about such ineffective, unnecessary, wholly counterproductive laws and the excessive punishments associated with them.

I don't think this guy should be punished to the degree he apparently can be ( I doubt he'll actually serve much time) but I do think pot should stay illegal, and this guy knew he was taking chances. Should have either moved from Texas, or thought about whether this was worth risking his future on.
Laws are changing, but for now, one states entrepeneur is another states felon.

I don't think this guy should be punished to the degree he apparently can be ( I doubt he'll actually serve much time) but I do think pot should stay illegal, and this guy knew he was taking chances. Should have either moved from Texas, or thought about whether this was worth risking his future on.
Do you think beverage alcohol should be made illegal (as it was during the 1920s)? And do you think tobacco products, especially cigarettes, should be made illegal? If you do you are in favor of repeating the great mistake known as Prohibition.

Are you aware that illegal drugs are more readily available today than they were when Ronald Reagan saw fit to escalate Nixon's already failed War On Drugs? In other words, drug laws don't work. They are an enormously costly and counterproductive fiasco. In other words, they do more harm than good.

So how do you rationalize maintaining laws against marijuana, a benign euphoric tranquilizer which has never harmed anyone and is not addictive and is proven to have many beneficial effects? Don't you think it would be more productive to allow legal access to this natural substance but to promote an intensive public education program aimed at eliminating the ignorance which leads to its misuse? Because that ignorance is the real problem where marijuana is concerned.

It should happen to all druggies! In all the nonsense coming out of the courts this is the first good decision in years.

I disagree. He made Hash brownies, he didn't rape or murder someone. He is facing a sentence as if he did rape or murder someone.

The punishment doesn't fit the crime.

It should happen to all druggies! In all the nonsense coming out of the courts this is the first good decision in years.

Someone who makes marijuana brownies should get a harsher sentence than a rapist?

Katz would set Dzhokhar Tsarnaev loose to lock up a teen smoking a bong.

She's batshit insane and needs to be put down like a rabid dog.

she is old .....how much longer can she have?....

Do you think beverage alcohol should be made illegal (as it was during the 1920s)? And do you think tobacco products, especially cigarettes, should be made illegal? If you do you are in favor of repeating the great mistake known as Prohibition.

Are you aware that illegal drugs are more readily available today than they were when Ronald Reagan saw fit to escalate Nixon's already failed War On Drugs? In other words, drug laws don't work. They are an enormously costly and counterproductive fiasco. In other words, they do more harm than good.

So how do you rationalize maintaining laws against marijuana, a benign euphoric tranquilizer which has never harmed anyone and is not addictive and is proven to have many beneficial effects? Don't you think it would be more productive to allow legal access to this natural substance but to promote an intensive public education program aimed at eliminating the ignorance which leads to its misuse? Because that ignorance is the real problem where marijuana is concerned.

I would make alcohol and tobacco illegal if up to me, and yes I realize that prohibition did not work before, as it ended up causing the manufacturing of illegal and sometimes poisonious alcohol in half the homes in America.
Having said that, I would try again.

Tobacco causes no cognitive impairment. Beer is not illegal. This criminal dumped a bunch of hash oil into baked goods. It would be like adding 100 proof to juniors juice box.

Hash oil does have a redeeming value. It is highly explosive and flammable.

Forum List

Back