Texas school district will eliminate its libraries and turn them into detention centres

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

The largest school district in Texas announced that it will eliminate libraries and replace them with discipline centres for misbehaving children in the new school session.

Houston independent school district announced it will convert libraries across its 28 schools for the “new education system” initiative led by superintendent Mike Miles.

The article isnt clear why they are doing this. Maybe its just GOP education policy in action.

If you are teaching crap about the benefits of slavery then you do not want the kids reading up on that.

And of course you can cut costs as you focus on the real meaning of education. Rebuking sinners.

And really, lets ne honest. You only need one book in school.

The largest school district in Texas announced that it will eliminate libraries and replace them with discipline centres for misbehaving children in the new school session.

Houston independent school district announced it will convert libraries across its 28 schools for the “new education system” initiative led by superintendent Mike Miles.

The article isnt clear why they are doing this. Maybe its just GOP education policy in action.

If you are teaching crap about the benefits of slavery then you do not want the kids reading up on that.

And of course you can cut costs as you focus on the real meaning of education. Rebuking sinners.

Another example of why the South will always be an anchor slowing down the ship of state.

The city of Houston is run by the GOP?

They arent eliminating the libraries just some librarians.

Two things:

1. You no longer need libraries like we grew up with. Most secondary students have a Chromebook or something similar they take with them; they no longer need a place to house a ton of books. Libraries have converted to 'media centers' which have some books, but are mostly larger classrooms.

2. The discipline problems we have in schools now make learning nearly impossible. I hear the same is happening in the UK. So if you leave the disruptive kids in class, no one is learning anyway.

Two things:

1. You no longer need libraries like we grew up with. Most secondary students have a Chromebook or something similar they take with them; they no longer need a place to house a ton of books. Libraries have converted to 'media centers' which have some books, but are mostly larger classrooms.

2. The discipline problems we have in schools now make learning nearly impossible. I hear the same is happening in the UK. So if you leave the disruptive kids in class, no one is learning anyway.
I attended Ysgol Y Wern at a time when they found mine shafts in the yard. We didnt have a library but every class had a library corner.

We were allowed to go there as a treat if we had finished out work. I loved it. I used to read novels about Kit Carson.

All kids should have access to a library and understand that it is a privelege to have it.

Houston is run top-to-bottom by left-wingers just like you. So, this policy is not surprising at all. You LOVE this.

I attended Ysgol Y Wern at a time when they found mine shafts in the yard. We didnt have a library but every class had a library corner.

We were allowed to go there as a treat if we had finished out work. I loved it. I used to read novels about Kit Carson.

All kids should have access to a library and understand that it is a privelege to have it.

It is wasteful for schools to house all these books. Kids can read books on devices which they can also access for free.

Whether you like it or not, or agree with it or not, the world has changed a great deal

It is wasteful for schools to house all these books. Kids can read books on devices which they can also access for free.

Whether you like it or not, or agree with it or not, the world has changed a great deal
Its about more than access to nooks Sue.Its having a quiet place to study. Its civilisation, It brees brilliant people.

Its about more than access to nooks Sue.Its having a quiet place to study. Its civilisation, It brees brilliant people.

Who says media centers where kids work on their devices are not quiet?

When's the last time you were in a school?

The Poor shouldn't have access to literature, science, engineering, and architecture? How they supposed to bootstrap themselves out of poverty?

I really wish everyone would take a minute to think about why schools might use libraries not as libraries in 2023. Especially in secondary schools.

My big questions are these. How many kids actually still show up for detention when it is issued to them? And considering how awful kids have become these days, why is detention even still a punishment at all? To me, getting suspended is what should be done more if the kids are not going to be kicked out altogether.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

It is very sad for the students who go to school hoping to learn and better themselves. But, they will not be able to do that if thugs who don't care about education are allowed to dominate every classroom because the prior administrations were unable or unwilling to discipline them. This move will not only help the students who want to learn, and the teachers who want to teach them, but also the students who spend their day disrupting instead of learning.

The first step in helping the unruly students themselves is to separate them from the students who are there to learn. By doing so, it makes it possible for the unruly students to get behavior instruction that can help them to become successful students instead of the criminals that they are currently on track to be. Once they realize the hard truth that when you act a fool, people don't want to be around you, they may find the motivation to change.

Forum List

Back